This mousse is my ode to Spring. It should really be titled "happy mousse" as I imagine this is what happiness would taste like. Fresh, light, zingy, uplifting and leaves you wanting more. I warn you, it's quite tricky to stop eating. You could strew some blueberries or raspberries over the top if you wish, that would be nice, indeed whatever makes you happiest. The sound of bird song, the feel of sunshine on my face however faint and the glorious realization of not having to shroud myself in my all encompassing down winter coat undoubtedly adds to my feeling of happiness.
Orange and Lemon Mousse.
1 ½ teaspoons gelatin powder
Juice and zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1. Zest the orange and lemon, set aside.
2. Dissolve the gelatin in the orange and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
3. Separate the eggs, beat the yolks with ½ cup of the sugar and the vanilla flecks removed from the vanilla bean until very thick and creamy.
4. Add the gelatin mixture to the yolk mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Beat the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage, add the remainder of the sugar and continue beating until glossy.
6. In another bowl whip the cream until fairly stiff.
7. Fold the cream into the egg mixture.
8. Pour into individual glasses or one large bowl, decorate with a few curls of orange and lemon rind.