Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Breaded Chicken Cutlets




This is the chicken fingers recipe that I made for my girls when they were toddlers, but really they are what grown ups like to eat (at least in my house). The only difference is I used chicken tenders for the little ones and dipped them in ketchup and for the adults I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a side salad.  I might add that all the objections of  "oh no, not chicken again" melt into silence when these are produced. 

I hesitated to put this recipe on the blog because it's so "everyday" and seems a bit dull, but it's what I do with chicken when I can't think what else to do.  Then when I've made it, I can't think why I don't do it more often - everyone loves it.

I hope it comes in handy for you.




Here's what you'll need for your breaded cutlets,

1lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1 handful of minced fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, sage or oregano would be fine.  If you don't have fresh on hand, use a teaspoon or two of dried - Herbs de Provence works well)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil and a tablespoon of butter

On a large plate beat the eggs together

On another plate mix together the dried breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and herbs. 

If the chicken breasts are thick, more than about 1/2 inch, you can lay them between two sheets of parchment paper and bash them with a rolling pin until they are nice and thin.  Curiously I seem to find this quite satisfying.  If you don't feel like chicken bashing, once they have been browned in the pan, you can transfer them to a baking sheet and pop them in a 350F oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.

Dip the chicken breasts in the egg wash and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.


Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saute pan until hot and bubbling and lay the chicken breasts in the pan, saute until golden brown.



Remove to a serving platter (unless finishing in the oven), squeeze over some lemon juice and serve with a nice fresh green salad for adults or baby carrots, cucumber spears and ketchup for children.

15 comments:

  1. These look great. I haven't made them in ages, so thanks for the reminder! I bought chicken tenders yesterday, so this will be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday recipes are great! Its nice to through out a fancy recipe every now and then but I think most of us need basic recipes to feed the family on a week night. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks excellent. They are a favorite in my house, too! I made a ton at one time and freeze them so I always have them on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyday recipes are perfect for blogs! As much as I like the "wow" effect type recipes, sometimes I read through blogs for simple and new ideas so I don't have to make the same thing over and over! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen my current post about chicken milanesa? It is so like this posting that it's uncanny. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They seem really yummy!Well done,dear Mary!Hugs from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oohhh one of my hubby's favorite! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So perfectly golden brown, tender and moist! I'm so glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something I make pretty often too, and I know what you mean when you say no one complains :) Breaded chicken is always a hit! :) Thanks for sharing your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Yummychunklet's comment that everyday favorites are wonderful to pass on to someone who hasn't tried it yet.

    Nobody can make 7 "wow" dinners a week unless they're hugely wealthy with lots of time on their hands :)

    Keep the everyday recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids love chicken tenders! I think they would eat them every night if they could. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those breaded chicken cutlets look delicious. I've been craving a chicken dish lately.

    BTW, I didn't know if you know or not that your blog doesn't have it enabled to return back to you after you leave a comment. The message given is something like "this blog site has not given permission to go to their site..." That happened to me too and I had to "enable" return comments. Someone had made me aware of it and I didn't know...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, these look so good. I don't think I'd complain if it was set before me either! How utterly scrumptious! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!