Monday, May 23, 2011

Fisherman's Tales


Once a year my husband escapes to the wilds of New Hampshire for a little "man time".  This is entirely understandable. Everyday he negotiates his way around a bathroom full of hair straighteners, curlers and dryers, not to mention baskets overflowing with pink shimmering body lotions and a spectrum of nail polish colors from florescent lime green to dark fuschia.

Poor man, a weekend in the woods with his best pal was called for.  He dusted off his fishing pole and hauled out his tackle box, being careful not to twist his ankle tripping over the Barbie accessories and headed for the door.  He waved goodbye and shouted his farewells over the pounding refrain of High School Musical III.  While he headed off to the wilds of NH (White Mountains), the older girls and I headed off to engage wildlife of a different sort, at the mall, prom dress shopping.

A few days later he arrived home with a cooler full of brook trout (also known as "speckled" trout) and a large rainbow trout.  They were beautiful fish.  My first instinct was to stuff and bake these little beauties, but I ended up breading and frying them and I'm glad I did.  They were delicious.


When you're lucky enough to come across some gleaming fresh trout, here's a srumptious way to deal with them.

Brook trout
1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
a large handful of fresh herbs, such as parsley or oregano
2 eggs
salt and pepper
olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter
2-3 lemons

Pat the fish dry with paper towels.

Dip in the egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs.

Heat the oil and butter in a large saute pan, when hot and bubbling place the fish in the pan.

Saute for about 4-5 minutes on each side until the breadcrumbs are golden and the fish is just cooked through.


Remove to a warm serving platter, squeeze over lemon juice and sprinkle over fresh herbs.

I served this with roast potatoes and green beans drenched in butter and lemon.
I really think I'm going to have to ask him to go back next weekend for more.

11 comments:

  1. This looks quite tasty. And, it's been awhile since I've had pan-fried fresh caught fish. Great post! Hope you found the prom dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women outnumber men in my family too(father-mother+3daughters).So I know exactly what you mean!Your fish makes my mouth water!Your husband should go fishing more often:)))A big kiss,my dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trout but afraid they have to come from the shop, my husband has no inclination to go fishing!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum Mary! There is nothing like it on earth. My dad was an avid fishermen and used to catch trout that my mom would then cook in much the same way. It was always a delicious treat! Yours looks wonderful. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brook trout lend their delicious selves to the simplest of preparations. Yours look delicious!! Your husband's home situation sounds like my father's. Three daughters and their mother made for a lot of pink and pampering!! I then had two boys and learned to find my own space away from the men!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't get more perfect than this. The trout looks delicious and I'd love to have joined you at the table. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks yummy,, you know I keep losing you from my blog list,, I thought you we'rnt posting,, gee,, I'm catching up,, I miss reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I've just come across your site, it is lovely. I am a British mum too, with 2 little girls, and my husband escapes our pink world a fair bit too - he likes pheasant shooting. I love your trout recipe and it really reminds me off a summer I spent working in Wyoming, cooking up trout that lodge visitors caught in mountain lakes, they tasted amazing. Bet yours did too. I love the fact that you have an emma bridgewater mug in your photo - can you get those in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, I am so glad you stopped by my blog so I could find yours! My dad loves fishing too, and when he catches something, we really enjoy fresh, fried fish. This recipe looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I don't think I could handle preparing fresh fish (cleaning it, etc.), but if that was taken care of for me then I'd definitely give this a try. I hope prom dress shopping was as successful as the fishing trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!