Thursday, May 19, 2011

Raspberry Fool


This is a very old fashioned English dessert dating back to the 16th century. There are many variations on the theme such as possets, flummery's and syllabubs, most recipes call for egg whites, milk or a large amount of heavy cream.  In these days leading up to bathing suit season, I thought I should perhaps create a somewhat lower fat, slightly more up to date version.  I substituted non fat vanilla Greek yogurt instead of the more full fatted heavy cream 16th century number.  I must say I rather prefer it to the original.
 
My grandmother used to make "fools" ALL the time, usually with gooseberries which grew in her garden (she was a brilliant gardener).  I've used her blueprint for the recipe but changed the fruit to raspberries because where on earth do you find gooseberries around here?  I've also slipped in a tablespoon of Creme de Cassis, which I'm sure Grandma would have fully approved of if she had only thought of it.  

 
This is a lovely summer time dessert but if you omit the Cassis it's a super wake up breakfast treat.


Here's what you'll need for your raspberry fool.

12 oz of raspberries
juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon of water
1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
8 oz of non fat Greek vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon creme de cassis
mint sprig and a few raspberries for decoration

In a pan place the raspberries, lemon juice and zest, water and sugar.

Gently simmer until sugar is dissolved and berries are very soft - about 5-8 minutes.

Remove from heat and puree in a blender.

Sieve the blended raspberry mixture into a bowl so you don't have any seeds.  The mixture should look something like this.


Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Place the vanilla yogurt into a large bowl.  Gently fold the raspberry mixture into the yogurt.  Turn into serving glasses and chill.

Decorate with a sprig of mint and a few raspberries.

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic classic! Will never get over it! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your slimmed-down version! Great way to use Greek yogurt. Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost you and finally found you,, your blogger profile doesn't have your email,, would you mind if I awarded you the versatile blogging award.I enjoy your blog so much and I was given one,I'm going to put it on my blog,, it will bring more people to yours and see all the yummy stuff you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks like a marble painting with the most exquisite colors - pass me the glass, plzz :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so wonderful! I love learning traditional English recipes--just about my favorite thing! So glad you came up with a lower fat version, too--thanks!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from over at Laurie's place...Enjoyed you blog..The dessert looks wonderful! Will be back soon for another visit...
    Hope you have a super blessed evening

    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely treat for breakfast or dessert! This is the perfect summer time dessert for when it's too hot to turn on the oven and to use up all those fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking low fat treat Mary!! Fabulous! It is nice to know that it is possible to make a fool without using raw egg as well. With a husband in his 70's I don't make anything containing raw egg, so this will be a refreshing treat! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. this "fool" is undeniably amazing. it looks so good I could have it everyday it seems. What a wonderful healthy treat. thanks so much for sharing it. Love hearing about your grandmother too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks very similar to something we made yesterday and poured over strawberries. I like the sound of it over yogurt too! Yum! Pretty much anything with raspberries is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great! I've never heard of a Raspberry Fool before now. I need to try my hand at this over the summer. It is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this last week and it was stunning! Thank you for sharing this Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh boy, sounds delicious. I just "discovered" the ancient Greek yogurt about a year ago and try to use it alot. I do happen to have a bottle of a raspberry flavored Rum (Cruxen) that would be perfect for this!

    Thanks for adding this to eRecipeCards.com. Your post came through perfect. Hope you make us a daily habit. Feel free to post any of your back stock you might like. I really enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!