Friday, May 27, 2011

Roasted Chickpea Salad





Couscous, let's be honest, is a lifesaver.  It's not really cooking, just boiling a bit of water.  I use wholewheat couscous now and I must admit it needs a bit of jazzing up.  That's where the chickpeas come in.  I roast them in Harissa Spice which gives them a lovely kick and add some sharp feta (I actually found some goats Gouda for this - which I had never heard of before but it was delicious).  If you can't find Harissa spice, mix together a small amount of cumin, sea salt and chili powder. Then just go chopping mad - cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers - all your favorite raw vegetables. Douse the whole affair in a tangy vinaigrette (I like balsamic vinegar with this as it really has some punch to it) and strew with handfuls of fresh herbs.  A final squeeze of a lemon (and plenty of zest of course) a sprinkle of sea salt and you're really for action.


Here's a what works for me;


1, 14 oz can of chickpeas
1 tablespoon of Harissa spice
1 cup of wholewheat couscous
6 oz of feta cheese (or goats Gouda if you can find it!)
1/2 English cucumber, seeded and chopped (skin left on)
1 small carton of cherry tomatoes, halved
A couple of large handful of fresh herbs (basil, mint and parsley are great with this)
1 red pepper, diced
1 zest and juice of a lemon
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper 

Heat the oven to 400F


Empty and rinse the can of chickpeas.  Pour them onto a baking sheet.  Sprinkle the Harissa spice over them roll them around in the spice.  

Bake them for 15-20 minutes until golden.

Cook the couscous according to the package instructions. 


Chop all the vegetables, herbs and cheese and place in a large bowl.


To make the vinaigrette whisk together the mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, juice and zest of the lemon and the olive oil.


When the couscous is cooked, fluff it with a fork and add to the vegetables.  Toss to combine.  Before serving add another handful of finely chopped fresh herbs (it can't hurt), one more squeeze of lemon and a few grains of sea salt.


14 comments:

  1. This looks so healthy that I can't wait to try it! And, I like the colorful dots of tomato in the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but this looks good,, yum I love chick peas,, in anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really looks good! I love chickpeas in salads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks scrumptious. I'd love a plate of this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds and looks fabulous Mary, and very healthy too!! I love the bright colours and those flavours sound sensational. I love harissa!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salads,I love chickpeas, I love couscous!Your recipe works for me!!!Dear Mary,in case you haven't noticed,there is an award for you!Drop by our blog again!A big kiss and keep up the great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! And just in time. We're making couscous for a meal this week and this one looks like just the kind of recipe I need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! That's not just tasty looking but I know it's healthy as well! I love the colors in this dish :) Thank you for sharing, Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this is a yummy looking dish...
    Not only is it yummy looking, but it is a beautiful dish! Sounds delicious and I know it must be healthy...thanks for sharing with us..
    Have a wonderful Memorial day..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  10. I confess, I haven't used couscous as much, since I discovered quinoa. But you're right, it's blissfully easy. Likewise, I agree it benefits from something to liven it up. Marks & Spencer used to do an amazingly tasty couscous salad - I think it had cranberries in it. But I don't know what the rest of the secret was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought to roast chickpeas. The salad looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! We'll have to give it a go--always love learning of new, healthy recipes--thanks for sharing this one!

    Wishing you a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good, I love everything that's in there. I need to use couscous more often! Great flavors in your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speedy and tasty and can varied so easily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!