Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cheese and Tomato Quiche


Making pastry reminds me of England.  We lived on quiches in the summer when I grew up.  My mother and grandmother always had a "pastry morning" one day a week when they would cook up pies, quiches and all sorts of lovely tarts - and they didn't use a food processor like me.  I've come to enjoy pastry making, savory or sweet, but it took a while. The pastry I've come to rely on as foolproof is from the cookbook "Breakfast, Lunch, Tea" by Rose Carrarini, a wonderful cookbook which I highly recommend.

The fillings to a quiche can be endless, I use whatever vegetables, herbs and cheese I happen to have in the fridge and add it to a basic creamy filling. 



Quiche, recipe adapted from Breakfast, Lunch, Tea by Rose Carrarini.

For the pastry;
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of white wholewheat flour
Pinch of salt
8 oz of butter, cut into cubes
1 egg yolk
Up to 1 cup of cold water
A sprig of rosemary, minced

For the filling:
1 cup of cream
1 cup of milk
4 eggs
salt and pepper
1 cup of ricotta cheese, strained of excess liquid
6  oz of grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, thinly sliced
3-4 tomatoes
A good handful of fresh herbs, finely chopped
A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 350F

To make the pastry, combine the flour, salt and chopped rosemary in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse a few times until combined.

Add the cubes of butter and pulse until you have the texture of coarse breadcrumbs.

Beat together the egg yolk and the water and add gradually while the processor is running until the dough just comes together, you may not need all the liquid.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and bring together with a light knead.

Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  I have left it overnight and it works fine the next day.

To make the filling, slice the onion and saute in olive oil with a sprinkling of salt.  Cook on low for about 15-20 minutes until just about caramelized.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Mix together the eggs, cream, milk, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.

Slice the tomatoes into thin discs.

Roll out the pastry and line a pie dish.  I used an 11 inch dish.

Scatter the onions over the base, lay the tomato discs over and then pour the rest of the filling ingredients over the onions.  Add a few more very finely chopped herbs over the top and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

Place the dish on a baking sheet and place in the oven for at least 1 hour - you may need an hour and a quarter, until the quiche is slightly risen, golden and set.

Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple of hours.  This quiche tastes even better the next day.  A great lunch with a side salad.

23 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely wonderful, it's seems the British have a touch for making fantastic pastry. I will give this a try, can't wait! Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking tart. You can't go wrong with the cheese and tomato combination. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quiche looks superb! My son and I would love it. Ive never attempted making a quiche by myself but do enjoy making meat pies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect quiche! I could literally live off of quiche, tarts, and soups. Yours rose so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiche is without a doubt a summertime meal perfect with a salad.Yours looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my kind of food...I'm not that talented when it comes to making pastry...Your's is beautiful..
    Hopefully, your recipe will do the trick for me...
    thanks,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely this looks! I love that there is both wheat flour and rosemary in the crust - very flavorful, I bet! I make a killer tomato tart (on my blog for those of you who care to peek) with less cheese and no eggs.... One of my summer staples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only started making quiches this year, and I've loved every one I've made so far. This looks like another winner! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Quiche looks fabulous Mary. I have that cookbook. I haven't looked at it in a while. It's time for me to look at it again!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a pie-tart-quiche lover!Your dish has made my mouth water!!!Love it!Hugs,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quiche looks beautiful! I've never made a quiche before and I'm not sure why - I do love them. I've only had a few at different euorpean restaurants, but I've always just loved them. I think I have a new mission...

    ReplyDelete
  12. the pictures look so delicious, i could eat them!
    the recipe sounds so good and flavorful..i should try it out sometime.
    I found your blog on Very Good Recipes and i will be back to check out more of your cooking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! this looks like the picture of a southern living mag cover! So good! So delicious and my favorite combo- tomato and cheese. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quiche looks delicious!!!!
    Thank you so much for your visit to "Mi cocina". You are very kind.
    Blessings.... Carmen Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love quiche, if it's up to me we would have quiche every day :))
    Just like you I do my crust in the food processor, I tried using a pastry blender, didn't work for me.
    Your quiche looks and sounds amazing, can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous photo! So chic and yummy :) Quiches are so much fun. I think its great that the possibilities are pretty much endless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my gosh, this looks incredible! Magazine perfect photo...so yummy!!! I could eat it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful idea for my tomatoes! It looks absolutely beautiful Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic, Mary! I am so sorry I haven't been able visit in a while. Things have been so crazy around here, but I am so happy to come back to such yummy recipes. This quiche looks so incredible! Wish I could have some of that...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember the first time I made a quiche... carefully shopped for every ingredient. Now it's one of my go to leftover recipes. This is a great take on the classic

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try it out especially since I have an over abundance of tomatoes from my garden at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love quiches every time, I will try this recipe look and sounds wonderful! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I was going to make my usual Swiss Cheese Tart but you have inspired me to turn it into a quiche!! Just the thing for a warm(very) summer's evening with friends! Great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!