Saturday, July 23, 2011

Eaton Mess


This is a HUGE favorite in my house.  It's a perfect summer dessert.  Eaton Mess is an old English dessert that I grew up on, all of a sudden it's come back in vogue and I'm seeing Eaton Mess all over the place.  Just in case you didn't already know, this dessert is said to have originated at the boys public school Eaton (where Prince William and Harry went to school).  Apparently the students were served meringues, strawberries and cream and they mushed the whole thing up and it tasted wonderful  even though it looked a mess - hence the name - Eaton Mess.

I like to use a combination of berries, some people use rhubarb or even pomegranates - so please yourself!  I do enjoy making meringues so I used my own, click here http://insideabritishmumskitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/meringue
 for a lovely meringue recipe.  However if you're running short on time (as I invariably am) use store bought meringues.  It's not quite as good - but still pretty delicious.


You will need;

Meringues, homemade or store bought

1 carton of strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1 carton of blueberries
2 cartons of raspberries
1 tablespoons of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of sugar
8oz of double cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
a sprinkle of sugar

To make the raspberry sauce;

Place the raspberries, water, vanilla extract and sugar in a saucepan.  Heat and bring to a gentle simmer.  Cook until the raspberries are very mushy. 

Drain through a sieve and put the liquid into the fridge to chill.

Break the meringues up into pieces and place in one big bowl.  Whip the cream, vanilla extract and sprinkle of sugar to just between soft peaks and stiff - but not too stiff.

Add gently to the meringues.

Add the strawberries and blueberries to the mixture and stir gently to combine.

Place into pretty individual serving glasses.  Drizzle over the raspberry sauce and top with a sprig of mint. 

22 comments:

  1. this is delicous,, I love it!!Your photos are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try this. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered what it was! Now I know it's one mighty fine dessert! The most delicious mess I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *eton mess, as in the school

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah, this is a winner! So many beautiful flavors and textures...perfect summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful and so delicious looking! I'm an excited new follower! For some reason I couldn't get onto your blog until now, so I'm glad to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge favourite in our house too, but I've only ever made with raspberries. Will try your combination next time. It looks fabulous! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Eton Mess!!! Yours is much prettier than mine ever is :) and the photographs are gorgeous too... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eaton is definitely making a big comeback, and I've seen a few modified versions as well. This is a great dessert, simple and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos and delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary this looks not only DELICIOUS but BEAUTIFUL also! I have always wanted to try this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this looks like something i must have right now! AMAZING! So fresh and yummy. I love all the berries and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't eaten breakfast yet today and now my tummy is really rumbling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is certainly a sweet looking dessert. I think I could really like this one and it does look great for a nice summer dish to cool you off. I am just loving all these recipes.
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious! I love eaton mess and yours looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi mary, thanks for visiting. I've seen this eton mess cake recently on a magazine, was quite attracted to it, only thing is that i have to make my my own meringue pieces cos the readty ones are not available here. your dessert looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun dessert, love the history behind it too. Looks delicious, not a mess at all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. really yummy, it was an was easiest & most refreshing dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures are beautiful! I've heard of Eaton Mess but never knew what it was exactly! It sounds delicious and I see why its such a popular dessert! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my VERY favourite English desserts and a dinner party fall back favourite of mine! Yours looks amazingly delicious!
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love recipes with stories

    and your photo hardly makes it look like a mess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!