Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grilled Tuna with Peach, Mango Salsa



 Fish is so easy to cook and so refreshing - especially twinned with a tropical salsa such as this.  When I first started cooking I was very nervous about fish and I find a lot of people have the same reaction, but really nothing could be simpler.  This is the unusual case of very little time + very little effort = great result!    

I realize I've gone a little fish crazy recently.  This is for two reasons.  Firstly, the daughter who HATES fish is at - wait for it - Seacamp!! Yes that's right, she's studying FISH - just not eating it.  Secondly, I have just discovered a wonderful fish man (not half man and half fish like some sort of slimy X file creature but a man who sells fish) at the most AMAZING prices.  This tuna was $6.99 a pound!!  Who in their right mind sells fresh, beautiful, just pulled from the sea tuna for $6.99?? No one in New York - at least I've never found them.  So here's another fish recipe.  My Seacamp daughter is home soon so there will be little fish in the future. But I'm glad I didn't let this one get away.



For the fish;

Fresh tuna steaks
salt and pepper
1 lime

For the salsa;

1 mango (peeled and diced)
4 peaches (skin left on and diced)
2 limes (zest and juice)
A BIG handful - or two if you like - of fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
1/4  red onion (finely chopped)

To make the salsa, chop all the ingredients and place in a large bowl. Grate the zest of the limes and squeeze the juice over the chopped vegetables.  Combine and chill in the fridge. YUM.

To grill the steaks I used my stove top griddle pan. 

Lightly coat the steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Heat the pan until REALLY hot and then sear the steaks for about 2 minutes on each side.  This really depends on how raw you like them.  I love them with the griddle marks on the outside but pretty raw on the inside.  But cook them how you like them, just leave them on a little longer if you wish.   



Remove to a platter and squeeze lime juice over them.  Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.

Uncover and heap the salsa over them, sprinkle more cilantro over the whole affair, place tomatoes and more lime wedges around for more liberal squeezing.

15 comments:

  1. wow,, this is pure summer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fresh tuna steaks look amazing! And the fruit salsa adds a great burst of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures Mary!! Looks positively divine!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to congratulate you on so magnificent plate, really perfectly, riquisimo, deign of the best Mediterranean diet.
    I like much the tuna, and though he is one of the most expensive fished ones here in Malaga, soil to prepare it often.
    Since good you know the base of "My kitchen", they are the recipes of fished and seafood.
    I will prove your recipe.
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect bite Mary, thanks so much for sharing!I can't wait to taste this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Mary, you did some yummy cooking! Looks like the perfect summer dinner in my book! Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I wasn't the only one in the house that likes tuna. This looks so good! I love the fresh fruits with this too. Perfect for a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind that you've been going fish crazy at all--by all means, keep it up! I love mango salsas. This looks fantastic, Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm....what a gorgeous meal. I've gotten my hubby to enjoy salmon...but now it's time to try tuna because I want to make this for dinner soon! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your salsa looks amazingly delicious. I picked up a lot of fruit yesterday, so that I could make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YumYumYum! Did I mention Yum! The perfectly grilled tuna with that amazing and colorful salsa! Oh it is leaving me drooling over my computer! great photos too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful recipe! and beautiful photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving the salsa. It would be perfect over grilled chicken too!!! I think I mentioned my estranged relationship with fish... : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Look at the colors on that plate... I can just imagine the flavors from that peach and mango salsa... So yummy! Thanks for sharing this beauty, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful dish! Tuna and a fresh fruit salsa are a perfect flavor combination. Love the hit of jalapeno.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!