Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Roasted Chicken with Garden Herbs, Honey and Lemon


With the temperatures soaring I have studiously avoided putting the oven on recently.  A quick saute or pan of boiling water is all the added heat I've been able to take.  There comes a time however when a roast chicken is requested again and in fact craved for.  Not the traditional winter roast with the potatoes, carrots and gravy but a lighter summertime version infused with lemons and pungent herbs from the garden. 

This is wonderful right from the oven or left to cool to room temperature and served with couscous spiced with cumin, a tangy lemon dressing, mixed with raisins, more fresh herbs and toasted pine nuts.  The chicken is intensely lemony.


1 chicken, skin on bones in, cut up (approx 4lbs)

For the marinate;

3-4 lemons, zest and juice
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of honey
2 -4 cloves of garlic, minced
A huge handful of fresh herbs (I had oregano, basil, mint, rosemary and parsley in the garden)
salt and pepper



To make the marinate mix all the ingredients together. Pour into a large zip lock bag, add the cut up lemons you used for the juice and zest and then chicken pieces. 

Rub the marinate all over the chicken well and leave for at least a 1/2 hour (this can be left overnight, the flavors do deepen the longer it's left).

Heat the oven to 425F.  Place the chicken with the marinate into a roasting pan and roast for at least an hour.  Baste every 15-20 minutes to ensure the beautiful golden color.

When cooked, remove from the oven and place the chicken on a serving dish.  Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes. 

Spoon off any grease that may have accumulated in the roasting pan and then pour the juices over the chicken.

Before serving squeeze a little more lemon juice over the chicken and a spinkle of fresh herbs.

20 comments:

  1. This looks great, Mary. I adore rosemary with lemon and chicken. Your dinner sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pairing of rosemary as well with chicken,, delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great,flavorful chicken,dear!With all these herbs I am sure it must have been really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great summertime recipe :) I'm a little gaga for dijon and honey. Oh and you're more than welcome to come to Cayman...but be warned: It's out of control HOT here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo, a perfect meal for a light summer meal...The lemon and herbs paired with the chicken is so delightful looking.....
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos are beautiful - makes my mouth water!! Nothing as yummy as a roast chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon chicken is my absolute favorite. Yours looks perfectly done, Mary, and I love the flavors. Definitely will be on my table very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lemon Chicken the extra additions can only improve it. Yum yum Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful combination of flavours Mary and fabulous pictures!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the good news is that modern ovens don't do really bad things to the temperature of the kitchen. This chicken is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This chicken looks so moist and tender! I'm sure it tastes delicious - I love the flavor combo as well. You make such wonderful dinners Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome. Thankfully its not very hot where I am, and there are some cookies baking in my oven right now)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the more lemon on chicken the better it is in my book. I love that combination of flavors. Your chicken looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I bet the honey tastes just awesome in this chicken dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, this looks delicious, your flavor combinations are some of my favorites. It would be nice to make a bunch of this and have it for quick meals, pizzas, sandwiches, salads, etc. Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always looking for new ways to prepare chicken - easy ways that is - and this looks fantastic. This would be great for a picnic on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to prepare chicken. This looks wonderful and I'vecome to trust your judgment and recipes. I'll be trying this soon. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, that roast looks so inviting & comforting... What gorgeous flavors! And it looks really moist & tender too... Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful chicken with such amazing flavors! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!