Monday, July 18, 2011

Stuffed Artichokes


Artichokes are a bit of a double edged sword I feel.  They are such little beasts to prepare - but simply lovely to eat.  I came across this recipe when a saw an English cooking show called "Two Fat Ladies" - the title had me hooked!  Has anyone seen them? They are priceless.  They take the English eccentricity to new heights.  While obviously wonderful cooks, they don't actually tell you how much of each ingredient you'll need - so it's a bit of a shot in the dark.  


My husband said I couldn't consider myself a good cook until I had mastered artichokes!! Fine! The Two Fat Ladies made artichokes on the TV so while having no idea about quantities I gave it my best - I have to say they're rather good.  

4-6 black olives, finely chopped
Fresh white breadcrumbs (I used one piece of good quality white sandwich bread blitzed in the food processor)
A large handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
A very small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of capers
2 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely chopped
4 oz of Parmesan cheese
1/3 bottle of dry white wine
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat the oven to 350F


I'm sure everyone knows how to prepare an artichoke, but I have to admit I needed a refresher course - so here are the steps - just in case.  Remember to have a cut lemon handy so you can rub it over the cut parts of the artichoke to prevent it turning brown.

To prepare the artichokes, pull off the stem and the rough outer leaves of the bottom layer.



Sip the top of the leaves around the base.




Slice off the top third of the artichoke - this can be a challenge - make sure your knife if sharp.



Then attack the inside.  You want to scoop out all the furry inside, cut around with a knife and scoop out with a spoon, this can take a little time but make sure all the bits are taken out.



Now they are ready to stuff.  Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and spoon into the cavity.



Pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a Dutch oven and warm it. 

Place the artichokes into the oil and pour the wine over and around.

Place the lid on the pot and put into the oven for approximately an hour.


To serve, place an individual artichoke onto a plate with some juice.  Perfect for a light lunch or a fancy starter for dinner.

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely hands down perfect recipe! You cleaned them perfectly and that stuffing looks to die for! I love stuffed artichokes but I hate the time it takes to make them. However, you pictures look so amazing I can't wait to try out your version! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't go there with artichokes, too much work for too little reward. But, you've given me an idea (that's why I read blogs). I am fond of frozen artichoke hearts, a more than viable product. I will make the stuffing and wrap them in it and bake them. I think it could be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never prepared or eaten them,, but you make them sound wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love stuffed artichokes, yours look amazing! I love the stuffing, will have to try. I recently made steamed with a dipping sauce, which was good, but nothing like stuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize I can't find a temp for the oven. You know you can find me at scrout1944@msn.com. Also, I meant to mention how much Peter and I love to watch the fat ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't tried to make these! Yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done such a great job with these artichokes, Mary! They look picture perfect... Fabulous post... Now I am intrigued by the "two fat ladies"... :) Need to research them a little! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post,mary!You have managed to cook wonderfully these little beasts!Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! Can you believe I've never even tasted an artichoke before? Scandal, I know. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love artichokes and this is a great looking recipe, I will have to try it! and about the "fat ladies" I was just talking about them yesterday and couldnt remember the name of the show so when I read your post I was quite surprised that you mentioned them! those two ladies were priceless and their recipes,although certainly not light in calories were great! I have not seen it on here in canada in years though, too bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how fabulous! My family doesn't like artichokes but I grew up eating them. I'm just going to have to buy a couple and make your delicious stuffed version for a treat! Gorgeous presentation~

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look beautiful and the stuffing sounds so delicious-- I'll have to try your version. I like the 2 Fat Ladies. I haven't watched much but remember they are really funny and don't they ride around on a motorcycle? So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an excellent job recreating it! It looks beautiful and the filling sounds delicious! My Mom loves that show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never cooked an artichoke. I suppose the only artichoke I have ever eaten has been in a spinach and artichoke dip...
    I need to step it up and try some new things...
    Better get my knife sharpened..
    Hugs to ya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mike is the stuffed artichoke guy in our house. I'm going to have to pass this one along to him - the stuffing sounds fabulous and would give us some new flavor options to try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love artichokes and this preparation looks delicious! I buy them every week at the farmers' market and can't wait to try them your way. The little bit of work trimming them and removing the choke is well worth the effort. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree--they are such little beasts to prepare and cook, I hate it, but love the end result! Stuffed artichokes are delicious. I'm craving to make them again now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a lovely looking artichoke. I am one of those that has never mastered (or even attempted) to cook an artichoke. They sure are delicious to eat, though. That stuffing sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of my favorite spring dishes! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have done an excellent job!!!! Be very proud of yourself!!! My husband and I love to watch The Two Fat Ladies. They were indeed PRICELESS!!!! My husband even purchased the DVD collection for me one year as a Christmas present. This is one of the recipes I have always wanted to try. Thank you for the step by step directions. They are as I remember them on the show. Mine are in the oven as I type. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!