Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Meatless Monday's (or Tuesday's) Lentil Shepherd's Pie.



Sometimes it just feels good to fully embrace vegetables and legumes and leave meat alone.  I have to make a conscious effort to do this as I have become so brainwashed into thinking it's not a proper meal without meat.  How ridiculous - I'm very into Meatless Monday at the moment - and if I can stretch it to Tuesday and Wednesday I'm all for it.  

Three out of the four girls really liked this.  I think it's absolutely essential to serve it with peas and lots of ketchup.  I made it in individual dishes which always pleases.  I can't argue that this is an elegant meal but it's certainly good home cooking.


For the potato topping

4 large potatoes (peeled or unpeeled depending on how much fiber you want) cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 - 4 tablespoons butter
2 - 4 tablespoons milk 
salt and pepper

For the filling

1 cup du Pry French lentils
olive oil
1 onion (finely chopped)
3 carrots (finely chopped)
3 sticks celery (finely chopped)
2 leeks (finely chopped
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1, 24oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
A good shake of Worcestershire Sauce
salt and pepper
Fresh herbs (I used rosemary and thyme)


salt and pepper

Heat the oven to 375F


Place the lentils in a medium sized bowl.  Pour boiling water over the lentils and cover. Leave for at least 30 minutes.

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.  Salt the water and add the potatoes and sweet potatoes.  Cook until tender.  

Drain and mash with the butter and milk.  Check seasonings.  Add a few very finely minced herbs for a very pretty (and delicious) look.  Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven.  Add the onions and gently saute until soft.

Add the carrots, celery, leeks, garlic and chopped herbs.  Saute all the vegetables for approximately 8-10 minutes on a gentle heat.

Drain the lentils and add to the vegetables.  Combine.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until fully combined. If the mixture looks very thick, add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water.  Stir to combine.  


Bring the mixture to a boil and turn down to a simmer.


Pour the lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato.


Place in the oven until the potato is just browned (about 30-40 minutes).


Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.  


This tastes really great the next day.

32 comments:

  1. I would love to dig into this hearty meal! Even though it is not elegant-it has its own wonderful, comforting appearance. One dish meals like this are great this time of year and this version of shepherds pie is something I need to try-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, almost like a vegetarian shepherd's pie! It looks delicious to me and elegant enough to serve to guests the way you present it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's raining here this morning. That would make shepherd's pie a great choice for tonight's dinner. This sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    PS - the ice cream is not bad but it will never replace gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome, I would happily eat this any day of the week. My concern is that the British government may try to take your passport away:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's an anomaly. I love mashed potatoes, just not on shepherd's pie. Go figure. I do confess your version looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hearty, delicious comfort food! Thanks for a great recipe idea! Perfect for the fall or winter seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to make this Mary.Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely option for when vegetarians drop around. There's something about shepherds pie which is just so comforting. This looks grand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good home cooking, indeed! It looks like the best comfort meal - hearty even without the meat! I love the idea of serving them in individual casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious, I like so much your recipes of sheperds pie..
    thak you.
    I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. I just had meatless moussaka made with lentils at a restaurant and it was really good. Shepherd's pie is one of our family favorites, so I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy, love all the veggies. I eat little meat so this would work! But, I have yet to cook with lentils. Guess it's time I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic for cold weather days. Ben has been begging for lentil-dishes lately - this one is surely on the list!
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I adore lentils and I think it's one of the few meat substitutes that I truly love. This version of sheperd's pie looks fabulous~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shepherd's Pie sounds great and I've never thought of making it meatless with lentils. I really really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm so delicious I would love to have a bowl right now. great recipe... thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks so good. I could totally be a vegetarian if I didn't have to feed my family meat. Sometimes I just make what I want anyway. I'm printing this recipe and just might have everything for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photo and tasty looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm crazy about lentils. We need to eat more meatless meals and this is a perfect example of how delicious meatless can be.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting to make a shepherds pie for sometime now but wanted to put my own spin on it which is why I haven't done it yet because I am still thinking of what that spin might be but I am loving your spin- the lentils is genius and how yummy it looks! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  21. A delicious hearty meal! Most Indians happen to be vegetarians and I think this is a wonderful substitute to the meaty Shepherd's Pie. Would surely make it for my vegetarian mom-in-law and earn some brownies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the individual servings. So cute! And it looks so warm and comforting. Perfect for the cold, wet day we're having here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful idea! It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This dish is perfect for me....I am not much of a meat eater. VEGGIES? bring em' on. Love veggies.
    This dish looks so rich in flavor and I wish I had one right now in my oven to eat. (didn't eat lunch today). The topping sounds yummy! This one is going in my file...
    Blessings,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  25. This vegetarian dish is beautiful and look very mouth-watering!

    I'm trying to be a vegetarian too but I still cook and eat meat with my family. This dish is awesome and great to introduce vegetarian eating to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the sound of this! I eat only fish when it comes to meat, so finding a different way to enjoy legumes and vegetables is great. I also like the idea of having individual servings. I'll definitely have to try this before the weather gets too hot here :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Lord! Love this version of Shepard's Pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that does look tasty. My mouth is watering just looking at it. Perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I looked all over Ireland for Shepherd's Pie. I don't think it is Irish even though it is in my Irish cookbook (hmmm) Yours looks delicious and I have to tell you, I did have seafood chowder served in the same cute bowl as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just wanted to let you know I made this for dinner last night. I was surprised that my husband actually liked it--he could tell it had no meat, but we didn't say anything to the kids. Just that my husband liked it is great.
    After my 8 yo wouldn't eat enough to get a snack later, he was trying to choke (poor picky eater!) down the potatoes and said, "I need more of that meat sauce for these." ha, he thought it had meat! I loved it! Thanks, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi!

    Thank you so much for your recipe, I am making this for dinner tonight (added half a cup of greek yogourt because I really like the taste of it in tomato based sauces) and I already tasted the lentil mix which tasted delicious. Can't wait to try it as a whole meal. My house smells like heaven!

    Thanks again, Mariem

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!