Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Sweet Day in NYC and Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting



My little one had the day off school yesterday.  She's learning about the ancient Egyptians and seems quite captivated, so we zipped into NYC and paid the Metropolitan Museum of Art a visit with a special stop at the Temple of Dendur.  It was wonderful, we had a blast - and then we were hungry.   Off we went to Magnolia Bakery.  It's delightful and whimsical and the staff are SO friendly.   There is almost every conceivable flavor of cupcake and cake - Katie and I did our best to sample as many as we could and we thought they were delicious.  

We thoughtfully bought a box of cupcakes home to the rest of the motley crew.  When these had been devoured I was asked "Why don't you make anything like this?" (I thought I did). So of course the next day I decided I would set about making a Magnolia like cupcake.  How about apple cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting - I'm still very much in the throes of Fall.  I have to say I was thrilled with the way these turned out - I think I could give Magnolia a run for their money! If you're into the flavors of Fall - give these a try. 


Not content with baked goods we then slipped across the road into Dylan's Candy Shop to do some early Holiday shopping - but of course it's a little tricky not to nibble on any of those goodies before the Holidays.  A grating of Dylan's milk toffee crunch chocolate bar over the top of these cupcakes, although not essential, doesn't hurt.



For the cupcakes

2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of apple sauce
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt

For the frosting

The butter and cream cheese must be at room temperature otherwise the frosting will be lumpy.
1 stick of butter
8oz cream cheese
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioner's sugar

Heat the oven to 350F

Line 24 cupcake trays with liners.

Beat the butter and sugar until really light and fluffy,

Add the eggs, one at a time and scrape down after each addition.

Add the sour cream, applesauce and vanilla. Stir until just combined.

Add the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Stir until just combined.

Spoon the mixture into the cupcake trays and bake for 20 - 30 minutes - until golden and bounce back when gently touched on the top.

Leave to cool in the trays for 10 minutes, then remove from the trays and transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until completely cool.

To make the frosting beat all the ingredients until smooth.  Pipe or spread the luscious frosting over the cupcakes.  Decorate with grated chocolate if desired.



28 comments:

  1. wow these look so good, I have never been to new york but I do a recipe for one of their cup cakes, its the golden one,, its very good .Thankyou for showing the great photos,, your daughter was very lucky to have the oportunity to actullay go to see the display of artifacts. I would love to see this,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be discrete about it, but I don't prepare or eat desserts (with few exceptions). But when I saw the word maple I had to have a look. You do seem to have so much fun and I'll bet your family loves you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your trip to the city and your treats! I love maple anything. I always got (and still get) aple sugar candy in my Christmas stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to Magnolia Bakery! But your cupcakes look amazing. Looks like a yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a productive field trip! I am sure a grating of the milk toffee crunch chocolate does not hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, Mary. Your day in the city sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to spend a day. My kids ask me that too, "Why don't u make something like that" Hello, what was I doing all these years?
    Cupcakes looks sooo moist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these must be the famous magnolia bakery in new york, heard abt it. There's also a magnolia bakery baking book but i dont you need that cos these cupcakes of yours look absolutely lovely, i bet they taste fabulous just as the magnolia ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely could give Magnolia a run for their money, even Hummingbird Cupcakes! These look totally amazing, you did such a professional job! Oh, and lovely photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cupcakes look stunning Mary and it was such a treat for me to see inside the bakery. I did wonder what it might be like.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and it is lovely to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cupcakes definitely look like they came from a bakery. They are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Magnolia Baker just opened up in Chicago. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes...I have had the pleasure of visiting them once while in NYC. I also enjoy the cookbook.

    Great post.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look amazing Mary I want one please!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cupcakes look delicious! It sounds like an amazing day with your daughter. I dream of one day taking my kiddos to the Met, and Magnolia would be a sweet treat too! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like such a fun day with your daughter. I love the picture of inside the bakery. And maple cream cheese frosting...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was just about to make some cupcakes for this weekend and then you have the most delicious looking apple cupcakes right in front of me! i love them- they looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm! Anytime outside food inspires you to make something yummy at home is a great time, in my book. These cupcakes look incredible! Love the frosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope I don't break my computer keyboard as drool drips all over! Oh dear, did I just say that? But, it is rather true. Those cupcakes looks scrumpdillyicious! I miss having pop in days into NYC!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. GREAT post and wonderful photos.....such great looking cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so lucky to live close enough to NYC to visit. I would love to see that exhibit at the museum too. We have a Cleopatra exhibit here that I am anxious to see.

    Gorgeous cupcakes! What a perfect combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great looking cupcakes, you could definitely give Magnolia some competition! Sounds like such a nice day in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun day for you and Katie! Had to laugh at her comment about the cupcakes...mine don't think I make cupcakes frequently enough, either. Your apple ones look fabulous...and they're iced perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what a perfect day! I love, love, LOVE, NYC, especially in the fall, especially with Magnolia Cupcakes. Sounds glorious!! Your cupcakes look glorious too and perfect for fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh I'm very envious of your day in New York - sounds like so much fun. The cupcakes sound delicious especially the maple cream cheese icing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. all the desserts are making me hungry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!