Monday, November 28, 2011

Bacon and Egg Pasta or Spaghetti Carbonara for my picky eater


Is this the first pasta dish you ever made?  I'm sure it's the most well known, spaghetti carbonara or bacon and eggs pasta.  I usually have most of the ingredients knocking around, it's very quick to make and no one can resist it, hence pasta for my picky eater.  It's a great way to get a meal into her.  

I use Barilla Plus pasta because I'm told it has lots of protein, fiber and omega 3's - all the better.  It tastes great - unlike the whole wheat stuff that in my opinion tastes like mushy cardboard.  No, no, that wouldn't do for a picky eater at all. It does pack a fairly heavy calorific punch but for a ravenous sports playing picky teenager, it's a Godsend.


1 lb spaghetti
8-10 rashers of bacon, snipped into little pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoon heavy cream
black pepper


Heat the water for the pasta in a large pan.

Chop the bacon into little pieces and put in a large saute pan.  If the bacon is very fatty you won't need to use the olive oil, if it's lean use a tablespoon of oil.

Cook  for approximately 3-5 minutes.

Throw in a tablespoon of chopped parsley and the minced garlic.

Cook for another few minutes until the bacon is fully cooked.

Remove from heat.

Mix together the eggs, Parmesan, cream, black pepper and nutmeg.  Set aside.

Cook and drain the pasta.

Pour the pasta into the pan with the bacon, add the egg mixture and toss together.  Add another generous handful of chopped parsley, check seasonings and serve.

26 comments:

  1. Carbonara is one of our favorites. And Barilla Plus is an excellent product. I would never be a picky eater in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear mary I think your spaguetti look amazing and delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my favorite and probably one of the reasons my bottom is 3 ax handles wide, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is a picky too and will love eating this creamy pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks perfect for the picky eater and even the not so picky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite pasta dishes! My husband likes to whip this one up once in a while--we'll have to give your recipe a try--looks delicious!

    Hope you're having a wonderful night, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spaghetti carbonara is an absolute favorite in our house :) It's like breakfast pasta in a way, with the eggs and bacon!

    Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a creamy and rich spaghetti! And one of my favorites! I use Barilla often too - the whole grain one is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite pasta dishes ever. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! Your pasta looks wonderful and so pretty in that blue bowl. I also use Barilla Plus and love it. If you have to eat pasta you might as well get as many nutrients as you can. I'd like a bowl of this right now. Too bad it's so late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carbonara os my favourite pasta sauce ever!!
    Shame it is so caloric. :(
    But I treat myself every blue moon. ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fantastically delicious! We're on a low-carb diet until we get Clark Kent's triglyceride levels down so I'm just looking at this dish and drooling and wishfully thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you believe that I've never made (or even eaten) pasta carbonara?? It's been on my list of foods to try for years now. I'll have to make a point of finally trying it next year. It always sounds delicious and yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the carbonara! We make this with pancetta, and its so easy!
    We have picky eaters too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So simple but delicious looking ........ and beautiful too! Looks like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carbonara is one of my absoulute favorite meals. I love the pasta that you used. {Great photos}.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you believe I've never made this before...and with my love for pasta dishes I have no idea why I haven't. I'm with you on the taste of whole grain pasta...not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its my first time at your blog. You have a lovely space here with some amazing recipes. Will be a regular. Am following you.

    Do check out my site www.anzzcafe.com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks heavenly Mary! I so wish the Toddster liked pasta. I will have to make this just for myself sometime. It looks soooo good! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree!It is an irresistible dish!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMMMMMMM! Pasta plus bacon and egg- what could be better- picky eater or not how could anyone not like this dish! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah, i do cook this once a while, your pictures here look marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delicious satisfying meal that looks. Each of your post looks so great that I guess there shouldn't be picky eaters!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love carbonara and only made it for the first time just last year, if you can believe that! I was so intimidated by it.. I thought I would scramble the eggs :) Yours looks incredibly good... I think it's time to make carbonara again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum. I now consider myself a picky eater. Can I have that plate of pasta??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!