Saturday, November 26, 2011

Grown up Smoked Salmon Fishcakes

I do hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.  Now of course we have a fridge full of leftovers.  I love leftovers, after the cooking frenzy leading up to the big day, it's rather nice to live off turkey sandwiches for a little while.  I must say I did go overboard on the mashed potato, it was delicious but I've got TONS of it left.  Where there is mashed potato there must be fishcakes.  I've always thought of fishcakes as British nursery food - served with ketchup and peas.  I thought it was time to upgrade the recipe to "grown up" fishcakes.  It's the same principal but I used smoked salmon and creme fraiche instead of cod and ketchup.  Everyone liked these and they were very little effort. I have still more mashed potato lurking in the fridge so I think we're having them for dinner again tonight.

2 - 2, 1/2 cups of mashed potato
4 oz smoked salmon, flaked into very small pieces
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
1 egg
black pepper
zest and juice of a lemon
Panko crumbs (regular breadcrumbs will be fine if you can't find panko)
olive oil
1 tablespoon butter

Chop the parsley and zest the lemon.


In a large bowl mix together the mashed potato, mustard, herbs, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, egg and smoked salmon.


Pour the panko crumb onto a large plate.  Scoop up a good sized spoonful of the the potato mixture and roll in the breadcrumbs to cover.  When all the mixture is used up, cover with plastic wrap and place the cakes in the fridge to chill for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.

When ready to cook, heat the butter and oil in a large pan until hot.  Place the cakes into the hot pan and brown each side and cook through thoroughly.

When cooked remove the fishcakes to a serving platter, top with creme fraiche and a sprig of parsley.  Serve with a salad and lemon wedges.

23 comments:

  1. I never lack for an opinion. I love this idea, and I have a variation to offer. On my blog (theobsessivechef) there is a posting for gravlax, salt cured salmon that takes only two days and costs less than smoked salmon. I'm going to put slices of gravlax in the middle of mashed potato cakes. The salmon needs no cooking and when the cakes are browned up nicely on both sides , I think it will make something quite special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very yummy, we ate fish cakes lots as children,, these would be lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary I love these fishcakes, my daughter love fish and I love you use panko bread is nice to these:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a refreshing idea for those leftover mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, my husband and his brother ate all of ours, so there are no leftovers. I love salmon cakes and burgers so I will keep this recipe in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. Fish cakes brings back memories, and those didn't have smoked salmon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing itty bitty about those fish cakes. Yummerific! Way to adult-up the dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god!!! These are so beautiful and totally our family. As it turns out, my husband caught a fiar amount of salmon and we've been mainly bbq'ing it. But I have scraps left over that are going to be just perfect for this dish.

    Thanks for sharing Mary, and your pictures are just fabulous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous, gourmet way to use up mashed potatoes. I would not have thought of this - oh, and your creme fraiche looks like a lovely swan floating on top of that yummy salmon cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these look fabulous, Mary!!! Love the crisp coating and the idea of the smoked salmon/potato cake...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Feel like digging my fork right into them! Lovely presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!I will try this one!Could I bake it them in the oven instead of frying them?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awaiting more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are talking my language here and fish cakes are a favourite in my house! These look fabulous Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! These look delicate and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! What a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. I never would have thought of this. Yum! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my Mary, those look fab and your pictures are fantastic! You can't beat a good fishcake! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all great idea on using salmon and not just any salmon but smoked. Secondly, I love how amazingly perfect they turned out. I can see the moistness inside the fish and the flaky crispy exterior! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simple, gorgeous and delicious. Who could possible not like these. I find them irresistible. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those fish cakes look fabulous.! Nice use of leftovers, am sure this was better than just plain mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is such a great recipe! wonderful and a clever idea to use up that leftover mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!