Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Moroccan Lamb Stew


I've been meaning to make Lamb Stew for almost a year - really!  Either the lamb has not quite been up to par, my girls were going through their vegetarian stage or it's just been too hot, but yesterday seem the perfect moment.  It was one of those stews that came together during the cooking.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that, Frank Sinatra crooning in the background, sipping on a glass of red - all was right with the world.  I'm not sure "Moroccan" is entirely accurate - but I was heading for that neck of the woods using cumin, cardamon pods, fennel seeds and chickpeas. The house smelled wonderful for the 3 hours of slow simmering.


1 1/2 - 2lbs of lamb stew meat
salt and pepper
olive oil
1, red onion, finely chopped
3 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of rosemary leaves, minced
1, 25oz can of crushed tomatoes
chicken broth
1, 14oz can of chickpeas
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cardamon pods
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
salt and pepper

Heat the oven 325F

Pat the lamb meat dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

Heat the olive oil until hot.  Brown the meat (without overcrowding or the meat will steam, not brown)  remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.

When all the meat is browned, add the onion and celery to the pan and saute for approx 10 minutes on a low heat until soft and nearly caramelized. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further few minutes. 

Place all the meat back into the pan, stir to combine.

Add the chickpeas, stir into the mixture.

Pour over the tomatoes and add enough broth to just cover the meat. 

Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer.

Place in the oven for approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours.  The meat should be meltingly tender.

Remove from the oven and let the stew sit for 15 minutes.  It's also wonderful the next day like most stews. 

Just before serving, check the seasoning and sprinkle over some fresh herbs.   True to my British roots I used parsley!

I served this with a salad, warm squishy pita bread and a dollop of Greek yogurt with a squeeze of lemon, which I have to admit was scrumptious.

26 comments:

  1. I will have to put this in my favourites! It seems great for cold autumn/winter evenings. :)
    Thank you for sharing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so rich and hearty, definitely worth a try. My husband and I enjoy lamb, so I am glad to add this recipe to my files. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just spoke with a friend whose daughter is doing a Moroccan dinner for her birthday this evening and thinking how much we enjoy those flavors. This, along with Frank and a glass of red wine, sounds just about perfect.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. we ate a lot of lamb growing up and I'm not a fan but this just may change my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in sympathy with your way of cooking, going with the ingredient flow. AND lamb is one of my most favorite proteins. This is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love any kind of stew and yours looks absolutely mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, that looks delicious! We had a lancashire hotpot last night and do eat lamb a lot. I may have to give this tasty looking dish a try next time! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely hearty, red and rich. Sometimes I think such photos should be banned:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lamb and I also love tagines too.....it looks fantastic Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to put a lamb stew on our menu! Yours sounds spectacular~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Moroccan flavors, this looks absolutely divine Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm! Mary look delicious I love all your pictures look georgeous!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks just delicious Mary. Perfect for cold winter evening. Bookmarking this. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you say "baa baa" in Moroccan?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, This sounds wonderful and sounds like you had such fun making it - I wish I had been with you, we could have had such fun together cooking up this lovely dish! It seems like the perfect autumn dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lamb is such a special treat. This dish is a winner for sure. I love the color. It makes the dish very appealing. You eat with your eyes first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It 's not easy to photograph is kind of dish in a tempting way and you knocked it out of the park. Just reading the ingredient list convinced me to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my.. my.. that stew looks absolutely hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never cooked lamb, and have only eaten it once. Your stew looks delicious though -something I would like to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! This looks bursting with flavours and perfect food to have on a cold winter evening...lamb is what my husband loves most so I have bookmarked your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mary
    This looks so delicious and just what I would like to eat on a day like this - warm, filling and full of flavour. Hope all well with you and the girls. Its a typical English November day here - gloom, sludge and leaves coming off the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi mary, usually i stay away from lamb but still i can see how flavourful this dish is, it looks marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think "Moroccan" is a great name for this. I love lamb . . . it's Mr. Rosemary I have to convince, but I bet this spicy stew would do it! Saving!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Being as how I just looked out my window and saw not flurries, but all out snow coming down...I'm thinking stew is sounding really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh! Nice...I didnt know chickpea and meat could go so well! Looks delicious!

    Do visit my new blog- http://manjuzkitchen.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  26. waw.. this looks so delicious!
    http://corporatetokitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!