Friday, November 4, 2011

Scalloped Potato and Fennel Gratin


This really is a fancy name for comfort food.  Potatoes, cream and cheese - this didn't hang around long.  Fennel makes it a little more interesting and I think it's essential to use fresh herbs.  I used sage - but whatever your favorite fresh herb is, would work wonderfully.

Scalloped Potato and Fennel Gratin
6 large potatoes, peeled and VERY finely sliced (if you have a mandoline slicer this is the time to use it)
1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
3 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tablespoon very finely chopped sage leaves
Salt and pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Gruyere cheese (grated)

Heat the oven to 375F
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan.  Gently sauté the onion and fennel for 5 minutes, sprinkle lightly with salt to stop them burning. Add the minced garlic and sage, continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until soft.
Mix the cream, a sprinkle of black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
Pour a tablespoon of cream into the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
Place a layer of the potato mixture into the dish and pour a couple of spoonful of the cream mixture over the top.  Sprinkle over some gruyere.
Continue layering the potato mixture and gruyere. Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven for approx 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is brown and bubbling.

22 comments:

  1. Perfect-I have a block of that cheese in my fridge that does need to be used up and my husband is a potato hoarder-so this recipe is perfect for me! That close up of the picture really has me hooked-delicious blend of tasty ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary look amazing!!! and delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to add fennel to a potato gratin. It looks quite delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the scalloped potato part but I'm not too keen on the licorice flavor of fennel. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, that sounds and looks amazing. I love scalloped potatoes and I love fennel. The two together sound like genius to me! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These look great! I LOVE potatoes in all ways, shapes, and sizes. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fennel on the brain yesterday when I went shopping but couldn't find it. When I do, I'll be making this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore fennel. A bit of my personal trivia: my mother would never have known what it was. I think I was well into adulthood before I had it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YUM! This is the second au gratin I've seen today and now I'm craving it like mad. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ¡¡ Delicious !! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love potatoes...and if they are baked...even better!! Delicious looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to find a way to use fennel. This looks like it! I LOVE Gruyere too - and sage. I think sage is my all time favorite herb. Great recipe Mary! I'm making this for the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great and I love your pics! I still haven't tried cooking with fennel but it's on my list of things to try:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder where the name scalloped comes from. In any case, it is very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! This looks sooo yummy! Does the fennel come out crispy? I kind of have a think about crispy fennel...I like my mushy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WONDERFUL looking gratin and THANKS for your address, I got it fine and book is on its way from Amazon!
    GREAT photos too.....
    Karen
    XXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious! I love any combination of potatoes gratin. Gruyere cheese is my favorite cheese in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love anything with cheese and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, now that looks amazing! I am definitely book marking this one! What a great make ahead dish for a dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. delicious. love the addition of fennel. potatoes and fennel go so well together. This would be a great side dish for thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! Your scalloped potato and fennel gratin looks amazing. This is proof that food does not have to be complicated. Love it, love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!