Monday, November 14, 2011

Shakshouka or eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce with feta cheese and fresh herbs.



Shakshouka I believe is an Israeli dish, you may think it strange to find it in a British mum's kitchen, but it's simply too delicious not to be there. I first tried this at a lovely little restaurant not far from where I live. It's a cosy spot, which serves killer coffee, is decorated in an eclectic style with an emphasis on twinkle lights and plays seductive middle eastern music lulling one into a relaxed state - hard to do in my case.  Whenever I go there, I order this.  I must have eaten it on a dozen occasions but only recently thought of making it myself.  This has become one of the family's most requested meatless dishes. I hope yours will enjoy it too.


1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
Chopped parsley
1, 25oz can of crushed tomatoes
4 eggs
3/4 cup of crumbled Feta cheese
A generous handful of chopped fresh parsley
The best quality, doughy, squishy pita bread, warmed or toasted.

In a medium saute pan heat the olive oil.

Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes on a low heat until golden.

 Add the garlic and the pepper. I only used half the pepper as I don't like it too hot - let your preference be your guide.

Add the chopped parsley and cumin, saute for a further few minutes until the onion is beginning to caramelize. Don't burn the garlic!



Pour in the tomato sauce, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.



Simmer away for a few minutes.

Crack the eggs, one at a time, into a small dish or bowl, make a little well for each one in the tomato sauce and slip them in.  Cover and let the eggs poach in the sauce.  This won't take long - around 3-5 minutes.



While the eggs cook, warm your pita bread.

Take the pan off the heat, sprinkle with as much feta cheese as you wish and top with more chopped parsley.

Serve with the warmed pita bread and green salad for a killer lunch or easy supper.


24 comments:

  1. this is quite a pretty dish to look at and I bet its delicous,, thnakyou so much for visiting,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is an impressive dish and a great way to make poached eggs into a more well rounded meal. Love the blend of spice as well as the choice of feta. Great post-thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I just finished eating lunch but now I am hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite stunning...and I have a feeling my hubby would go for this for dinner! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, yes please! I'll gladly eat that entire skillet. Seriously, I think I could do it. Looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see myself eating some shakshouka in the near future, possibly this week:) Thanks for the inspiration. I think its North African. I have seen something similar in Turkey also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish looks wonderful. I could easily eat this for dinner with those flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to have new recipes for a meatless meal - this looks lovely! I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the idea of poaching eggs in tomato sauce instead , must be so flavoursome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a new dish to me, it looks comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks mouth watering delicious. I loved baked eggs and must give this version a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do something similar for Sunday brunch - but love the addition of the feta - perfect tang/salt to the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made something similar but not with the feta, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks wonderful. I love your in-the-pan cooking photos. They make me hungry! I love anything with good tomato sauce and feta!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen anything like this Mary. It looks delicious - all ingredients that I enjoy. I'll have to give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a tasty and interesting dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the color of the dish & feta cheese on top.. impressive way of poached eggs..

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a wonderful dish for a brunch or light supper. I have a dish that is similar to yours and my family loves it. I have to give your version a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for following my blog. I'm glad I found you too because I LOVE your blog. You have some delishhh recipes! I've had something similar to this recipe with scrambled eggs from an Israeli friend of mine..so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting dish! I've never had anything like it but it certainly sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great looking egg dish, I'm always looking for something more to do with eggs than just boil or fry them. GG

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh, I just did a very simple eggs in marinara dish last night for my dinner. It was AMAZING. So much yummier than I expected, I can hardly wait to make it again, just so I can blog it.

    I had no idea that eggs would pair so well with a red sauce. Your version sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fabulous and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!