Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shiitake Mushrooms, Snow Peas and Quinoa



I decided I should try (yet again) to tempt the girls into eating more whole grains and vegetables.  Ha! you might say, well 3 out of 4 of them actually liked this.  To be honest I didn't think for a moment the 4th would even try it (she only eats chicken).  I was intending to use brown rice but as I put the water on to boil I discovered the cupboard was bare. This usually happens when I'm looking for chocolate chips - not rice! so I used quinoa instead which worked out wonderfully. 

1 1/2 cups quinoa
Canola oil
1 packet shiitake mushrooms
1 onion
2 sticks celery
Salt and pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup Mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
A good couple of shakes of soy sauce
1 medium packet snow peas
Lime juice (optional)

Heat the oil in a good sized saucepan or Dutch oven.  Add the onions and celery, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until soft and just turning golden.

Meanwhile in another pan, heat the water for the quinoa.  I use 3 cups of water for 1 1/2 cups of quinoa and that makes a whopping amount that keeps us going for a couple of days.

When the water has come to the boil, add the quinoa, put the lid on the pan and turn down the heat.  The quinoa will be cooked in  about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

When the onions and celery are golden, add the mushrooms, stir well.  Add the mirin and soy sauce.  Let it bubble away for a few minutes.


Add the snow peas.  Stir to combine.



Put the lid on the pan and steam them until cooked.  This won't take long  about 3-4 minutes.



Just wanted to show off my VERY favorite piece of kitchen equipment which I got for Christmas last year - I call it my sunshine pot :)

When the snow peas are bright green, take off the heat.  When the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork and transfer it to the mushroom mixture.  

Check the seasonings, add a squeeze of lime if you like. This is super as a side to roast chicken.

25 comments:

  1. wow this sounds lovely, its pretty too,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty and such a pretty dish too Mary!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 out of 4 aint bad:) Chocolates disappearing is normal, brown rice disappearing is perhaps something that I am sure you will encourage and not investigate:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made quinoa once and it came out pretty good. This looks delicious and healthy! Love your pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I just started blogging in October and I am loving it! This recipe is right up my alley as I love quinoa! Beautiful pictures as well. I can't wait to check out more of your recipes :)

    Cheers!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I just started blogging in October and I am loving it! This recipe is right up my alley as I love quinoa! Beautiful pictures as well. I can't wait to check out more of your recipes :)

    Cheers!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love snow pean, love the look of the quinoa. Good on you getting those grains and veggies :) we love couscous and quinoa & cracked wheat- somehow, brown rice does not fly in here :( I will look for mirin wine next time I go to the supermarket

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how healthy and delicious this dish looks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so simple, yet so elegant, and I'll bet it tasted just divine. This is the kind of recipe that's staple at our house, and I now have to try making your version. I am also intrigued by your use of quinoa. I am a couscous girl myself, but maybe its time for a change :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious. I enjoy cooking with quinoa. It has so many health benefits plus it's so high in protein. I recently made a dish with black quinoa. Which id never used before, and the end result was so stunning - all the fruit and veggies popped out from the dish with the black quinoa as the backdrop. Glad your kids liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, what a healthy, beautiful side dish! I love all your ingredients and your kid's thumbs up speaks volumes about the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love finding new things to do with quinoa. I find even fussy eaters like it. (My daughter took a turkey sandwich to school for about 8 years - nothing else would do). I have vegan friends and I am always on the lookout for them - so bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your sunshine pot! I've been wanting one of those. :) I like that you used quinoa in this dish too. It sounds good...although I'm always skeptical of any kind of peas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think quinoa a one of nature's miracles. Snow peas are yet another one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmmmmm....I love everything about this dish...the mushrooms, quinoa, snow peas, soy...all so delicious together! Have a great weekend, Mary~

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my goodness, the photo of the mushrooms actually made me crave them! At 9am no less! I need to add a mushroom dish to next week's menu. YUM. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love quinoa I use a lot and love this plate with mushrooms! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my 1st time here, love your blog, start to follow you now. This dish sound healthy and good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious and always a bonus when healthy! You have a lovely blog:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious!

    Your pot is a beauty! I bet it makes everything taste even better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have just convinced me to try quinoa!Your dish is really inviting!Kisses,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i've not tried quinoa yet and i know it's kind of healthy stuff. just your mushrooms and snow peas alone are already looking very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome information. I am really surprised with this topic. Keep up the good work and post more here to read. Custom Logo Designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!