Thursday, November 10, 2011

Speedy Weeknight Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, Peas and Herbs


I was doing my impression of Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals yesterday.  I had a 1/2 hour to get dinner on the table before picking up my little one and dropping off some of the older ones.  The sauce cooks in the time it takes for the water to come to the boil and cook the pasta. Perfect for weeknight chaos.  I added some red pepper flakes for a bit of a punch and threw in fresh herbs with a very free hand.  The girls liked this.  I was given complements through gobbled mouthfuls such as "this is mad good" and "this is sick" - that means exceptional (who knew?)


4 good quality sweet Italian sausages (skinned and crumbled)
1 onion
2-4 cloves of garlic
A shake of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1/2 glass of red wine
1 LARGE jar of your favorite tomato sauce (or homemade is even better)
A generous handful of fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, basil are all good)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup of frozen peas

1, 14.05 oz box of your favorite pasta.

Put a large pan on to boil, cook pasta according to the package directions.

In a large saute pan heat the olive oil. 

Take the sausage out of the skin, crumble into pieces and brown.

As the sausage is browning add the onions, garlic, fresh herbs and red pepper flakes.  Saute until the onions are really soft and turning golden.


Add a 1/2 glass of red wine and let it bubble furiously.


Add the tomato sauce, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.



Add the cream and frozen peas, stir well to combine.  Simmer until the peas are cooked through.

Before serving, throw in another handful of chopped fresh herbs and check seasonings.


By this time the pasta should be cooked and drained.  Pour the pasta into the sauce and toss.

Serve with a green salad.

36 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so warm and comforting! Perfect for all this chilled air! Beautiful :) ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always enjoy cooking pasta cos i think they are simple to prepare and yet so tasty with simple ingredients. I would like to try adding some red wine too like you the next time. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious looking dish! I love the savory sausage pieces cooking in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why the kids like this. Heck, I'm not a kid and I can tell I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this does look good, I will never get use to the kids saying "sick" for good, it throws me off everytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should know better not to visit blogs before dinner. My mouth is watering. Great recipe idea for a quick and delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, thats a pretty sick dish in 30 minutes!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. another quick and delicious recipe!!! I love it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really not good to read your blog when I'm hungry, as I am drooling looking at this delicious sausage, tomato, and pea pasta. I so wish I had a bowl right now! It's no wonder it was such a hit with your family-- it looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I can't wait to read more of your lovely blog. Thank you for visiting yummymummykitchen.com today so I could find you. Your newest follower, Marina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 30 minutes for such delicious dinner!? I love all the yummy flavors! We all need more recipes like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So tasteful and colorful!My mouth is watering!Great pictures,dear!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks absolutely comforting and delicious.. but I do love me some pasta! I could eat it every night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally my kind of meal Mary! I love, love, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally my kind of meal Mary! I love, love, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it might be speedy but boy does it make this pasta loving girl hungry. the sausage and that sauce is just calling my name! YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, this looks amazing! I am really learning to appreciate simplicity. I have been more of an all day, low and slow kind of cook. Add a baby, business and a blog and all of a sudden simple wins over!

    She is not even two, so I am not hip to "mad good" and "sick" yet. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. BTW, I love the peas in here. We eat a lot of peas, my daughter loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. MY kind of meal Mary ~ and the photos are SO tasty looking too.....pasta and sausage, what's not to like!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a perfect fall meal. It looks warm and comforting and it's guaranteed to please on a damp and chilly day. My family would love this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet it made great leftovers, too. Then you'd be down to an average of 15 minutes per dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds delicious, Mary! I love when a quick meal comes together like that and everyone is so happy with it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could go for a big ol' bowl of this stuff right now..I have actually had pasta on my mind all day...Wow! To open up your blog and see this makes me want it more..
    Blessings
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  24. I smiled at this - I made so many versions of pasta and vegetables during the busy high school years where activities and schoolwork ruled. I know this meal made for a happy family!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love having a few quick weekend meals in my repertoire and this looks like a fabulous addition! I'm glad your girls loved it...great endorsement :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What nice and amazing pasta, look yumm, my kid love pasta always! :)gloria

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just my kind of meal! Fast, comforting and super delicious! Love the comments from your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the second pasta and sausage recipe I have seen today, now which one do I try first..... yum yum Diane

    ReplyDelete
  29. All your pictures make me drool... especially the ones with the sizzling sausages. Love this fast, easy and versatile recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous meal whether you are in a hurry or not. Your reviews from your family were awesome.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  31. My daughter and I are drooling seeing your post! Awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so delicious I am getting hungry again! Love pasta and sausages! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmmm, I could eat pasta every night of the week, and this looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!