Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cauliflower Miso Soup with Crispy Onions and a Calming Moment.


I had good and honorable intentions of a roast beef. My first mistake was attending a birthday party with 25 highly excited and over sugared 10 year olds in a darkened room with a whirling disco ball and strobe lights.  I arrived home to one with a fever, one having a meltdown because she had dropped her phone down the toilet. "We have to go to the mall NOW and get a new one!!!" - dream on....... and the other was having a fit because a sleepover was not on the cards tonight.  Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to my world.

 I was feeling fragile.  The thought of wrestling a large demanding cut of meat in and out of the oven was enough to push me over the edge.  Comfort food was needed and in my language that means soup.  Miso soup is supposed to be calming and I had a cauliflower sitting in the fridge begging to be used.  Bingo!

The crispy onions I feel are a must with this soup.  It did work - my blood pressure was nearing normal after my second bowl.

Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
salt and pepper
paprika
fresh parsley
32-40 oz chicken stock (depending on how thick you like your soup)
1 tablespoon white barley miso

In a large Dutch oven or saucepan heat the olive oil and saute on a low heat, the onions, celery, carrots, parsley, salt and pepper for approx 8-10 minutes. 

Add the paprika and the cauliflower and combine thoroughly.

Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, partially cover and cook for approx 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile cook the onions.  Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onions.  Sprinkle with onions (which stops them burning) and cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes until golden brown and slightly crispy.

Remove from heat, transfer to a blender and process until smooth.  You will have to do this in batches.

Return the soup to the pan.  Spoon a couple of tablespoons into a small bowl and add the miso.  Stir until dissolved.  Pour back into the soup and heat gently.  Do not boil as this destroys the enzymes in the miso. 

Check seasonings, serve warm with sprinkled herbs and lots of crispy onions.  Peace!

35 comments:

  1. This soup look delicious I love cauliflower so much. son in this soup will be nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have miso in my fridge and I adore cauliflower. You have inspired me. Thank you. I will report back when I make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a bowl of this soup now, please. It's been cold and gloomy today and it's just what I need. Your household sounds exciting - never a dull moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds very familiar, about 15 years back!
    I gets better, honest, it really does but until then my advice is to keep the soup on hand!!
    Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow....I need to make a huge crock pot of this stuff and eat it every day. Sorry, but I was very tickled about the first part of your post....I hear things like this from my daughters all the time, telling me about all the demands that my precious grandchildren love to make...
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. the soup looks wonderful and I'm glad you chose the comfort food! Indeed this is the kind of post I could write at times, can totally identify only the ages are a bit different :) carry on my friend, we will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious and pretty looking stress reliever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so good. I happen to have cauliflower in the frig right now..so looks like it might be tomorrows lunch...thanks for posting..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like such a fabulous take on cauliflower! It is really beautiful too. Glad it calmed too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup looks so comforting and perfect at the end of a long day - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry you had such a stressful day! Glad you knew just how to fix it--the soup looks perfect!

    I'm definitely going to be trying this one...sounds divine!

    Wishing you a beautiful day, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful soup and I like that addition of the miso. Comforting and calming. Hope you have a peacful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah...things to look forward to as the kids get older. ;) I'm going to keep this soup in mind for when I need some warming comfort (which happens at least once a week!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary, thanks for your visit, kind comment and the follow! I am following you as well. This soup sounds very delicious, I love cauliflower but never had it made into a soup. I will give this a try. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so creamy and delicious-can't wait to try. It does look like the perfect stress releiver!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks and sounds delicious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always say soup is good for whatever ails you! This looks divine! Love those crispy onions - such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... sounds like you had (have) a lot on your plate! But I like what's in your bowl a LOT better :) I love miso and the combination with the cauliflower sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing, Mary! And more power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear...we are all human and both good and bad things can happens!

    This soup looks very comforting to eat and the cooking looks very therapeutic too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so tempting. Thank you for visiting and commenting. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is brilliant! I would never have though to combine miso and cauliflower. Sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have had nights like that. Believe me, your world is a lot like mine!! That soup is a wonderful solution. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. cauliflower and miso together? How brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can imagine that this soup calmed you down/made you feel better. Sounds like a hectic night! But, this dish sounds so comforting and delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whenever I visit your blog,my mouth will be watering!Great soup!Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are currently discussing a sleep-over party for a gaggle of 10 year olds - I'll have to have a vat of this soup on hand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are currently discussing a sleep-over party for a gaggle of 10 year olds - I'll have to have a vat of this soup on hand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the look of this soup. Even the color is pretty. Kids, gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I remember those days. What a delicious and calming soup. What every good mother needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a must for me to try! Love finding new recipes to use miso in.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks delicious! Where can I find barley miso ? I would love to make this. Soups are wonderful all winter long!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the combination of miso and cauliflower!!!....the crispy onions are a delicious topping for thi soup.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks absolutely delicious - perfect for this weather. I have just found your blog and joined you as a follower straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know the feeling very well. I still have 2 teenages at home and know exactly how you feel. And the soup sounds delicious and I- who love soup will surely make this tomorrow. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!