Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beef Stew with Beer!

There's nothing very elegant about this title but let me assure you the taste of the stew makes up for that!  This is pure winter comfort food. I served it over a piping hot baked potato to make it an unapologetic meat and carbs meal.  I've made stew with red wine many times but the beer seemed to tenderize the meat into melting mouthfuls and it seemed to cook a little quicker than when made with wine. 

As a family we have had a very busy time over the last week, a bowl of this hearty stew and (as my grandmother would say) "a night between the sheets"  seemed to put us all back on track!  As always, I would suggest grass fed beef, happy cow equals delicious stew - poor old cow!

1 1/2lbs lean stew beef meat (best quality meat possible)
1 tablespoon flour
ground black pepper
A sprinkling of dried savory herbs, such as rosemary and thyme
olive oil
1, large onion, peeled and chopped
4-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery sticks, chopped
2 leeks, thorough washed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
fresh rosemary and thyme, very finely chopped
1 bottle of beer
Beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 generous tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.

Heat the oven to 350F

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan.

Pat the meat dry.  Place the flour, black pepper and dried herbs into a large ziplock bag.  Add the meat and shake until the meat is coated in the flour mixture.

Brown the meat in the hot olive oil,  you will have to do this in batches.  Transfer the browned meat to a plate and cover with aluminium foil.

When all the meat is browned, add the onion, carrots, celery, leeks, garlic, rosemary and thyme to the pan.  Saute for about 5 minutes.


Place the meat and any juices that have accumulated back into the pan.  Pour in the beer and add enough beef stock to just cover the meat and vegetables.  Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. 

Stir and bring to the boil.  Turn down to a simmer.  Add another fresh sprig of rosemary.  Cover and place in the oven for approx 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

When the meat is tender, remove from oven.  Add the frozen peas, they will cook through from the heat of the stew in a few minutes.

If you need to thicken the stew, mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of soft butter until you have a paste.  Add a tablespoon of stew gravy, mix to combine.  Add this to your the stew and stir until thoroughly incorporated and the stew has thickened. 

The stew can be served immediately or be refrigerated and taste just as good if not better the next day.

28 comments:

  1. A hearty and tasteful stew!The beer addition sounds interesting!Many kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always on the lookout for a good stew recipe, either beef or veal. This sounds delicious. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stew! I usually replace the beef with some more veggies to cater to the husband and child, but I love your combination of veg and spices, and I am going to try this out for sure :)

    Mary, do you have a foolproof dumpling recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy, I will have to remember to put beer in it.yours looks very very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy cooking with beer and always pour a bottle in my corned beef and cabbage. I will definitely give this beef stew with beer a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I've put beer in stew like this before too, and it's excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stew looks thick and rich. Never used beer in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that looks perfect for a winter meal. I don't do the whole beer thing but if you say so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My beer loving husband will like this! This looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious! I love stews and am always looking for new recipes! Thank you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so yummy and I agree-- total winter comfort food. I love beef stew and beer does give it such a good flavor! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dish looks like it will melt in the mouth! Since we abstain from beef, can I use lamb and have similar results with your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks absolutely fantabulously delicious Mary! I wonder if gingerbeer would work?? Love it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stew looks and sounds delicious! I love the flavor that beer adds to a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you keep to your British roots by cooking a hearty beef stew x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like comfort food at its best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh..I love a good stew...
    Thanks for posting the recipe you use.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this looks SO delicious! Definitely going to have to try this one--nothing quite like comfort food on a wintry night!

    Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you share, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love beef stew, but the idea of putting it over potatoes is new to me-however it does make it that much more heartier-yum! Also, great info here regarding the tenderizing process of beer vs wine. I will need to try this version, potato and all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a good hearty stew! This will the flavor of the beer sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is what I call a soul satisfying comfort meal. I love eating stews over rice. I never thought to place stew over a baked potato. I love the idea! I will remember that one.

    Awesome.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary,
    Beef stew is pure comfort food, especially on a winter 's night. Beer gives the dish a wonderful flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love beef stew and yours sounds delicious! I was talking to someone online yesterday about beef stew. I've always used tapioca to thicken it instead of cornstarch and they use tapioca ground up to thicken their pies.

    I'll have to make some next week. We're already having meat on Saturday. I try to limit it to once a week if possible. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man! That is one amazing dinner! My Hubs would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A FABULOUS winter warmer and a recipe that would LOVE to share with you Mary!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks good! I'm sure the beer really adds a great depth to the flavor as well. (I LOVE that bowl, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so comforting and hearty! Perfect winter food :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!