Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Braised Sausages in Red Wine and Juniper Berry Gravy and Root Vegetable Mash.


“Bangers and Mash” must be one of the best known British dishes and for good reason. This is perfect cold, wet weather food! It warms and nourishes and will fill you up for the day. Braising the sausages in a rich sauce takes this powerhouse meal to another level.  Using root vegetables in the mash not only adds flavor but nourishment as well. Use the best quality sausages you can find. 

For the sausages and gravy.

8 best quality sausages
Olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon of juniper berries
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup chicken
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of cornstarch (optional)

For the Mash.

1 medium celery root
1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
4 medium regular potatoes
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
Milk, half and half or cream (to mash potatoes)

Heat the oven to 350F.

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven and brown the sausages.  You may have to do this in batches.  Don’t overcrowd or the sausages will steam and not brown properly.

Remove the sausages to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
Add the onions to the pan and cook on a low heat for approx 8-10 minutes, stirring from time to time to stop them burning.  Sprinkle over the salt and pepper

Place the sausages back into the pan with the onions.

Add the red wine, juniper berries, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce.

Place the top on the Dutch oven and put into the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through. 

Before serving, remove the juniper berries if they haven’t dissolved into the gravy.  If the gravy needs to be a little thicker, spoon 1 tablespoon of gravy into a bowl, stir in the cornstarch, pour the mixture back into the gravy and heat through, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens.

Meanwhile make the mash.  Peel and chop the celery root, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.  Chop the celery root slightly smaller than the potatoes as it takes slightly longer to cook.

Place all the potatoes into a pan of water and boil until tender.

Mash together with a couple of tablespoons of butter and as much milk, half and half or cream as you wish.  Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, ladle some mash onto a plate and top with a couple of sausages in their gravy and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

31 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty and elegant...I've heard about bangers and mash, but have never tried this dish. I'd love a plate for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought a jar of juniper berries, and I was wondering what I would do with them... this sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing, Mary! Love that first picture... it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that mash looks great! I am going to make it for sure! I have never used a celery root, but you have given me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. I think it brings a traditional bangers and mash to a new level. Very nice!

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned something new this evening. I did not know about bangers and mash.. very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not tried cooking with juniper berries and I'm really keen to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! And, I like that the sausages are on root veggie mash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks and sounds wonderful,, YUMMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmy Mary. You can't beat a good feed of Sausage and Mash and your version looks so very delicious! The Toddster will love this! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bangers and mash, and toad in the hole, what classical British recipes. I'm intrigued how Americans always measure ingredients using cups, how do you know what a 1/3 of a cup is? Surely it's better to use ml/grams ??!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That meal has me drooling. I really should not read food posts first thing in the morning. I think it's going to set the tone for an eating kind of day. That gravy has me wanting to run out and get some juniper berries. What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much to my granddaughter's delight, her Polish dad loves to cook and "Bangers and Mash" is a specialty of his and favorite of hers now. (He also makes a great Shepherd's Pie.) I'll have to tell him to mash more than spuds, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So mouth watering! Hubby loves sausages and this dish looks like a very delicious version of bangers and mash. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous meal, full of delicious wintery English tastes, I do love bangers and your mash is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your recipe. It takes bangers and mash to a whole nother level and the changes you've made sound like a delicious improvement on the old standby. This actually looks elegant. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks like the ultimate comfort food, drool drool! I have some bunches of beetroot to deal with today, seems a shame to throw the leaves out, off to google!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried saying the name of this dish fast and ...well I know I can at least eat it fast. I remember sausage, gravy and mash from the hostel days, took me a while to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey British Mum!
    I've just discovered your blog and loved it!
    I've moved to London a few months ago and I've already started discovering all the British recipes :)

    I'm following!
    Maria

    http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds delicious. Is there a substitute to juniper berries?

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH yes! YOU KNOW the way to my heart! Bangers and Mash is a favourite of mine, and I LOVE your posh version!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The juniper in there sounds just delicious.

    Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a delicious and very hearty dish! Cold and wet here, the snow we got was a dud, this would have been the perfect dish for the lousy weather we had today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard of this but have never prepared it. However it does look amazing and the gravy sounds like it would taste heavenly. Delicious post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great dish full of flavour!Many kisses,sweet Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your version of bangers & mash looks fabulous!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, red wine does such amazing things to the meat it is cooked with. This sounds pretty good. I've never made or even tried bangers and mash before. Love the peek at a different kind of dish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my this looks delish! I have never tried this before but have heard of it! I will have to put it on the to make list! I can't wait! I am so thankful I found your lovely site! You have wonderful pic's! I look forward to reading more. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your bangers and mash look wonderful. I never knew that the mash was a medley of vegetables. Thank you for stopping by my blog and following me. I'm now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog - I was looking for a great recipe for a sausage dish as I just acquired a TON of Diestel turkey sausage. Your recipe calls for the best sausage and in my opinion, Diestel sausage is the best and it's way less fattening than most sausages. I also must compliment you on the root mash - this style of cooking really peaks my interest because adding nutrition to great dishes is a big priority of mine as well. Love what I have seen so far - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!