Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pan Seared Salmon with a Cream Fraiche Sauce and My New Favorite Thing


Pan seared salmon with a cream fraiche sauce is a favorite thing, but my really NEW favorite thing is a ready made balsamic glaze I found in the market the other day.  It comes in a handy dandy squeezy bottle and I'm squeezing it over just about everything.  It provides a lovely "zing" and looks gorgeous. 


Despite the Italian balsamic glaze, this dish really does remind me of England.  When you go to a pub around this time of the year you will invariably find salmon on the menu.  The Brits are good with salmon - just think of all that Scottish Smoked Salmon - delish! This is quick and easy to make, good for you and the cream fraiche sauce adds a nice touch.  Hope you like it too.


4 fillets of wild salmon

Olive oil

Salt and pepper

Lemon juice.

For the sauce.

4 oz crème fraiche

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon of zest of a lemon and the juice of half a lemon

Sprigs of fresh dill

Salt and pepper



Heat the oven to 350F.


Rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in an oven proof non stick pan until hot. 


Place the salmon fillets top side down in the pan.  Don’t touch them

for 2 minutes as they will stick to the pan.  After 2 minutes they are

less likely to stick.  Turn them over and cook for a further 2

minutes.



Place the pan in the oven and leave until the fish is fully cooked

through, approx 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the

fillet.  Start checking after 4 minutes.



Remove from the oven, squeeze over some lemon juice and cover

with aluminum foil until ready to serve.



To make the sauce, mix together all the ingredients. 


To serve, top the salmon with a generous tablespoon of sauce and

place a fresh sprig of dill on top.


34 comments:

  1. ah Mary, what amazing and lovely dish, salmon is one of our favorites, also I make always, look nice!!
    PD:I know why you like my china dear, is some british china that I have (someones other break:( (lol)
    I love english china too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you peaking in my kitchen? I just made a salmon dish (glazed with orange) with a side of asparagus! This is beautiful! I'll be looking for your new favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely and delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and healthy!

    Have you ever tried reducing some inexpensive balsamic vinegar to make a glaze? It's delicious and any sinus problems are cleared!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dish you have prepared and that cream sauce looks delicious. I m really going for your new favorite thing the balsamic glazze thick, I love that stuff. Have wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love salmon over here as well. I am lucky that our neighbor is a commercial fisherman. He always brings us over a beautiful cut of salmon during salmon season. It's the best salmon I have ever eaten because it is so fresh. I am going to bookmark your salmon recipes as I am always looking for new ways to top my filets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love ready made! And your salmon looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right. Salmon is fab, especially cooked in such a simple way, I always have a few fillets in the freezer, just a great go to fish. Your balsamic sauce sounds delicious, I must look out for some here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That balsamic glaze looks fantastic! I can think of a million ways I would use it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always on the look-out for new salmon recipes. Can't wait to give your glazed salmon a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. That crema balsamica is pretty awesome. Try it on apples!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to devour that salmon! I know what you mean about Balsamic glaze---I discovered this recently when I poured balsamic vinegar instead of olive oil on the whole chicken I was roasting...it turned out incredible, and now I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That glaze on the salmon sounds wonderful- I think I need to find some now! Doctor told hubby to eat fish at least once a week- recipes like this make it easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cream fraiche sauce over salmon! This is one of my favorite things too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great way to prepare salmon. And I love balsamic vinegar ... anything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creme Fraiche and Salmon - now that's a match made in heaven! Love it... And it looks great... Thanks for sharing :) I wish I could get my hands on that balsamic glaze... Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my that looks fabulous Mary! We do love our salmon over here!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your salmon looks simply delicious. And ready-made balsamic glaze sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your salmon looks amazing. perfectly cooked and the fraiche sauce- GENIUS

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have no doubt my daughter would try and squeeze the balsamic glaze straight into her mouth. ;) I'm sure it would fast become a favorite thing around here and I just love the salmon recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely tasteful!Have a great weekend,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oooooh, that balsamic glaze looks amazing. Is is basically just a reduction that they have managed to bottle? (How brilliant would that be?!) or are there additional ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see why that is your new favourite thing Mary! I love glazes like this and recently used a chocolate and vanilla Balsamic glaze for beetroot and goat's cheese salad!
    The salmon looks LUSH!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Two of my favorite things :) I've really gotten into the balsamic thing since moving to Cayman. Being an English territory has its culinary advantages!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a healthy meal. Salmon and asparagus are meant for each other. I also use a balsamic glaze by Pastene. I really enjoy it on strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i also just bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar and learning how to use that more into my dish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks absolutely gorgeous and what a great photo you take!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love to use balsamic glaze on my salmon, on my roasted root veggies and on my salad! Your salmon looks so very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a delicious salmon recipe! Love the sauce - it adds a a touch of indulgence. And I love the glaze too! I need some of that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum! I love salmon and your platefull looks so good! Love the balsamic glaze, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love salmon and that sauce sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. trekking your yummy blog!!! i miss salmon...

    cheers!
    ..TREK..

    ReplyDelete
  33. We do love salmon, this looks great.
    Hubby spent a week in Alaska last year on my brothers boat. He had quite the adventure.
    He came home with 50 lbs of salmon and halibut. It was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your blog always inspires me to do better. You take the most beautiful pictures and your recipes are always spot on! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!