Monday, February 6, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup for the very last time and a big Thank You!


I do understand that by this time of the year Butternut Squash soup has really been done to death.  But - I made it again over the weekend and it was SO heavenly I had to share it.  The addition of 10 grain, rosemary scented croutons didn't hurt either.  If you're up for one more bowl of Butternut Squash soup this winter - give this a go.

AND thank you to everyone who voted for my pear cupcake and the Today Show Home Chef Challenge. I don't have the results yet but MUCH appreciate your lovely comments and vote.

Ingredients.

1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into approx 1 inch cubes.
2 apples, peeled, cored and halved.
1 onion, peeled and quartered.
Olive oil.
Salt and pepper.
1/2 teaspoon cumin.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
A sprinkling of fresh parsley, finely chopped
32 oz chicken stock.

For the croutons.

4 thick slices of 10 grain bread  (or whatever bread you want to use - Rye is another good option) crusts cut off and cut into small cubes.
salt and pepper
1 good sized sprig of fresh rosemary, minced.
Olive oil.

Heat oven to 425F.

Place all the vegetables on a baking tray.

Pour over about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and rub over all the vegetables.

Sprinkle over the salt and pepper, cumin, cinnamon and a sprinkle of parsley.

Bake in the oven for approx 25 minutes, or until the squash and onions are tender.  The apple will break down quickly but that is just how it should be.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so.

In a frying pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil.

Add the bread cubes, season well with the rosemary, salt and pepper.  Fry until golden.  You may need to add another tablespoon of olive oil, or do this in batches depending on the size of your pan.

When golden, remove to a paper towel to blot the excess oil.

To serve the soup, check the seasonings, sprinkle with croutons and add a sprig of parsley.

37 comments:

  1. Squash and apples sounds interesting, I have never tried this combination.
    Lets hope you win

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really sounds interesting!Great recipe as always,dear!Good luck,sweet Mary!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I love butternut squash! The color of the soup is so rich looking and the combination of apple and squash sound delicious....Is this a "sweet" soup? I am figuring that it is very healthy as well...
    Have a wonderful day..
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted so I hope you win! I love butternut squash soup and who doesn't like a new recipe. I love that you added apples to this. The croutons sound amazing. I got to add some of those next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really delicious and warming soup... and the flavor combination sounds really interesting! I hope you win that contest :) :) Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butternut soup is the best soup on the earth. Love it to bits and I will never get bored with it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! I would NEVER get tired of recipes for butternut squash soup--and the addition of apples sounds simply divine! Thanks for sharing your recipe...

    Best of luck to you with the chef challenge--I'm sure you'll do fabulously!

    Wishing you a wonderful day, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you win!

    Your soup looks lovely and I do love soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can NEVER Have too much soup! And that soup is a stunner too...Keeping fingers crossed for you and the voting!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious sounding soup, I love the idea of butternut and apple, a fantastic combination. Good luck .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love squash and apples. I don't think this soup could ever be posted enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soup looks beautiful! Not my favorite, but you put those croutons on anything, and I will eat it!
    Good luck with the cupcakes, yours was great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE butternut squash and butternut squash soup. I make one but it has curry in it and often change it to similar ingredients that you've posted since my husband isn't fond of curry. This sounds delicious and looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    I had roasted butternut squash this evening with dinner. It's like eating candy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the color of the soup . All the best in your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fingers crossed for you. And I love squash soup, I have several on my blog too. Something irressistible about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't apologize for butternut squash soup- it's always welcome! :) I still have a lovely butternut that is just waiting to be made into something delicious for dinner, and this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the addition of the croutons for this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blend of fruit in here does make it unique, so I am glad you posted this. It looks so smooth and creamy-yum! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The soup looks lovely.. and I can never tire of butternut squash soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks like a good hearty bowl of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's nice to see this tasty soup out of rotation with other food blogs. It's more special that way. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there Mary-Yes, got the book! thanks so much and for your sweet note. I can't wait to start browsing through it. Looks great! Good luck in the competition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never made butternut squash soup (but always buy it in the supermarkets), does the apple give it an added sweetness? Thanks for sharing the recipe, can in-cooperate it into my healthy eating x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't read about a soup too many times! If it's soup - I'm there. This is a beautifully comforting meal and love apples and squash together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Butternut soup is just so comforting and yummy. I add apple too. Good luck on the cupcake competition - hope you won !

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks delicious, Mary!!! I love the flavors here. I'll take squash dishes as long as the squash is available. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think butternut squash can ever be over done! It's such a healthy vegetable too. What a wonderful recipe and your photo of it is mouth-watering.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have not tried cooking with squash and apple combination before. This recipe sounds unique to me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Why have I never cooked with butternut squash? I need to change my ways!

    ReplyDelete
  30. One never tires of butternut squash soup. It's a favourite around here for sure. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really interesting combinations, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great blog, I love your recipes and post!
    I´m your new follower.
    I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you enjoy it.
    I have a google traslator, so you can read without problems!
    Kisses from Spain ^^
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't mind another squash soup...especially with those yummy croutons :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I never tire of butternut squash! This is a lovely combo with apple. Rosemary croutons to top it off is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is one of my favorite soups. I love soup and could have some all year round. My favorite thing to do in the summer is to go into a cold restaurant and have soup...even if it is 100 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I could go for a bowl right now - I love these croutons!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am not sure if I'll ever tire of butternut squash soup! This one looks so creamy and I love the croutons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!