Thursday, February 23, 2012

Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa and a Mediterranean Twist!


Quinoa, as you probably know is actually from South America - not the Mediterranean. However the rest of the stuffing is positively  Capri - artichokes, capers, lemon zest, roasted peppers etc, etc - I'm getting in the mood for Spring with the temperature touching 60 toady - JOY! 

I have discovered a misconception recently.  I've always prided myself that I feed my family a good deal of vegetables, when I examined this claim - I found I have come up short, very short!  So I'm determind to explore the world of the mighty vegetable and hope that my family will reap the rewards.  These stuffed peppers are a first step in that direction.

3 good sized peppers, cut in half, seeds and pith removed.
Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers
2-3 roasted red peppers, chopped (jarred is fine)
3-4 artichoke hearts, chopped(jarred)
Fresh mint, chopped
1 cup toasted pine nuts
Juice and zest of a lemon
salt and pepper
a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
3/4 - 1 cup feta cheese

1 1/2 cups quinoa

Cook the quinoa according to the packet directions.  I used red and white quinoa.

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and saute the onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper for approx 5 minutes.

Add the chopped roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, red pepper flakes, capers, zest and juice of the lemon and a tablespoon of chopped mint.  Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a dry pan and set aside.

When the quinoa is cooked, add to the vegetable mixture.  Add a couple of tablespoons at a time, making sure there is not too much quinoa.  It there is any left, use as a side for another dish.

Add the pine nuts and combine.

Pour a couple of teaspoons of olive oil into an oven proof dish and grease thoroughly.

Pile the stuffing into the peppers and place the peppers into the greased dish. Top with feta cheese.

Cover the dish with aluminum foil.

Place in the oven for approximately 50 minutes or until the peppers are soft.

To serve sprinkle with a little more fresh mint and some more feta on hand.

27 comments:

  1. We ate stuffed peppers often when I was growing up. What's the oven temperature you use? 350? My mother used rice, but I am a great fan of quinoa and it's easy to find these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A healthy and beautiful dish!I have never had quinoa!You make me wanna try it!Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I love quinoa! I will have to pin these..Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking that the Food Network needs to give you a call...Girl, you have the BEST looking dishes ever.
    I would for sure, vote for you!
    Have a good one..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pepper with quinoa lool amaxing!

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous, Mary - I love all the colors going on! I can't help but think that with such beautiful color and ingredients it has to be healthy and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely fabulous!!! So many yummy ingredients...and I've been meaning to pickup some more quinoa...mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first photo is rather striking and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vegetables stuffed with vegetables - now you are feeding your family too much vegetables:) And laboratory made meat is coming...
    I've seen so many fusion dishes on blogs today, more so than any other day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is something that would make me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fan of everything you stuffed into these peppers! Incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those peppers look delicious! Love the idea of stuffing them with quinoa and feta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quinoa looks super delectable! And filled inside pepper makes it even more feast to the eyes.! Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quinoa in these! I haven't had stuffed peppers in ages- these look so good. We're also trying to include more veggies and these would be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always think we eat a lot of veggies too, but then when I hear the daily recommended servings, I'm far off base. This looks like a delicious meal. Mike and I love stuffed peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had stuffed peppers in a long time! I love peppers raw as an afternoon snack. These peppers do look delish especially with all that quinoa inside. Did you kids enjoy them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful. I really need to eat more quinoa, it is perfect in these peppers. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never cooked with Quinoa. This recipe looks delicious and so many veggies. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am one of those odd people that cannot stand the sight of quinoa. It always looks like pinworms to me and so I can't eat it, but I bet this would be delicious with couscous or barley! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful looking dish. I have quinoa and I really need to use it. Great looking recipe, I want to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A really lovely recipe, healthy and fresh and I can tell it is sunny where you are! Lovely to connect, thanks for visiting my blog. Ren x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great way to serve quinoa!

    It isn't quite that warm here, but it is unseasonably mild and that makes me really happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this is yum! I love stuffed peppers! I stuff anything in peppers but usually it's rice and meat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love stuffed peppers and with Quinoa is a great idea! wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stuffed peppers seem to be the in thing right now :) Love your recipe! My husband loves stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! I love quinoa. This sounds so good and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks amazing Mary. I love the Quinoa in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!