Monday, February 13, 2012

A Valentine's Day Chocolate Mousse


What could be more perfect this Valentine's Day than a decadant Chocolate Mousse This is laughingly simple, but no one needs to know that.  It tastes rich, smooth and sublime. It's sure to tempt your sweetheart.

1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
4 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brewed coffee
1 tablespoon rum or brandy (optional)

Heavy cream and a shaving of chocolate for garnish

Separate the eggs.

Pour the cream, coffee, vanilla extract, rum or brandy – if using and
chocolate chips into a saucepan.

Heat gently until the chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.

REMOVE FROM HEAT.

Add the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well so they don’t
scramble.

Whip the egg whites until just stiff.

Mix one heaped tablespoon of the egg whites into the chocolate
mixture and then carefully fold in the rest of the whites.

Spoon into individual bowls or glasses, cover and place in
refrigerator to set.

To garnish whip the heavy cream, vanilla extract and confectioner’s
sugar until they reach soft peaks.

Decorate each dessert with some cream, a shaving of chocolate and
a mint leaf.

27 comments:

  1. Holy moly! I'm forwarding this to CK...think he'll get the hint? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made these, not yet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to take a spoon and dip it in that cup of mousse it looks so good. We love chocolate mousse in this house. Zoe (my 12 year old) actually has an easy one that she whips up for us occasionally. Have a wonderful Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I call that a perfect dessert for anytime!!! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to reach in there and take a bite...beautiful post...blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty and it's one of my all time favorite desserts. And a little rum always makes everything taste better.

    Happy Valentine's Day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now surely this is one that I can't mess up on...My hubby would be super surprised if I offer this to him tomorrow evening...can't wait to see his face..
    thank you mam!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chocolate mousse! This one looks amazing!Great way to celebrate Valentine's day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy,yummy and ...sexy!Great idea!Happy Valentine's day,dear!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am drooling yum! I love chocolate mousse! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes! yes! I'll take a few of these! they look delicious, Mary! and I like how you dressed them up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This chocolate mousse is indeed a great indulgence for Valentine's Day!

    PS. I actually felt quite lousy for not being able to vote for your pear cupcake because I don't have a facebook account. Now that I have started a facebook account, I can vote for your future challenges! :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I am not a huge fan of chocolate desserts, chocolate ice cream and chocolate mousse are the two things I will eat... This looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How delectable! Your presentation is so elegant and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm.. this looks just divine.

    XO,
    Catherine
    (Click here to enter my anthropologie kitchen tools giveaway.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I just made a chocolate mousse pie! Great minds....
    This looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous Mary! I would think this would tempt many a sweetheart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely, lighter, yet decadent way to end a meal. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How decadent looking! Great dessert idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Mary - this is so pretty and looks delicious! Can I have dessert at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not a big dessert person, but mousse of any kind is on my list of favorite treats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks beautiful, rich and decadent. You certainly have a passion for baking/ cooking luscious food x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my....these look so absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!