Monday, April 23, 2012

Rhubarb Crumble and Jamie Oliver's Vanilla Flecked Custard



Rhubarb and Custard is almost a British institution.  Done well, it's sensational.  Rhubarb is apparently extremely good for you too - filled with calcium, vitamin K and all sorts of antioxidants.  I can't really promise that about the custard but I can promise it's blissful to eat.  I livened up the crumble topping by adding barley flour which gives it a lovely texture and taste and a scattering of slivered almonds in the the mix.  The topping also freezes well which I find extremely useful in moments of panic about dessert.

The custard is Jamie Oliver's recipe and I swooned as I licked the spoon, then the bowl. Ohh, it's a dream. If you're not a custard fan then go the vanilla ice cream route - but honestly, you don't know what you're missing.

Heat the oven to 350F

For the crumble:

4 - 6 sticks rhubarb, depending on how large they are, washed and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks.
Zest and juice of an orange
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup barley flour (you can use all purpose if you wish)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar (I used Sucanant)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
Pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1/3 cup slivered almond

Place the rhubard, sugar, zest and juice of the orange and cornstarch in a bowl and toss together.  Leave while you assemble the topping.

Mix together the flours, sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal and salt.  Rub in the chunks of butter with your fingertips until you have the consistency of large breadcrumbs. 

Add the slivered almonds and mix in.

Pour the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish, I used an 11inch pyrex pie dish, top with the crumble topping.  Place the dish on a baking tray (important - you don't want juice dripping on the bottom of your oven and burning) and place in the oven for approx 45 minutes to an hour.

The crumble is ready when the fruit is bubbling around the edges and the topping is golden.

Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes or so.

Serve drenched in the most delicious custard ever.

Vanilla Flecked Custard, Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver's book "Cook with Jamie"

2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar

Pour the milk, cream, vanilla and sugar into a saucepan.  Bring to a simmer, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. 

Whisk the egg yolks and the 2 tablespoons sugar in the bowl of a mixer and whisk until the mixture is pale. 

Pour a tablespoon of the milk mixture into the egg mixture and whisk.  Add the remaining milk mixture, a little at a time, whisking on low all the time. 

Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, making sure it is on a low heat.  Stir all the time with a wooden spoon.

Very soon the mixture should thicken enough to coat the back of the spoon.  Remove from the heat, continue stirring for a minute or two, pour it into a serving pitcher and serve hot or cold.



39 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe, hun. I am saving it as, believe me or not, I have never tried Rhubarb. Shame on me. ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love James Oliver and this crumble look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE rhubarb! This crumble looks fantastic. And the custard? Wow. Wish I could reach through the screen to grab a bite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, delicious!! that custard sounds wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this looks delicious! My rhubarb is ready to be picked. I'll make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I need to check out my rhubarb crop STAT...this is a must bake recipe...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't know what i like best- the custard or the crumble. They both sound amazing and so refreshing! Perfect for spring and summer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried rhubarb once and it was so tart, I need to try again, your crumble looks amazing, especially with the custard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the ultimate comfort food! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good I want to grab it off the screen! Rhubarb is one thing that I really miss from my childhood...it was always the first thing to come up in the garden. I don't see it much down here in Florida, and if I do it is usually so expensive it's crazy! I have always liked rhubarb pie, but not with strawberries, just rhubarb. Love the flavor! Nice job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This rhubarb crumble looks fantastic. While the dish is tasty on its own, that custard is something that really puts it over the top. Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've head Crumble and custard a couple of months ago in our friends house here in London! I've never tried it before, it tastes so good but I haven't made it at home yet!

    Looks delicious!

    Maria
    http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. crumble looks wonderful a favourite

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, the Gods must be telling me something.. this is like the 5th rhubarb recipe I have seen over the last few days! I LOVE the look and sound of this crumble.. will definitely need to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I need to find some rhubarb around here! Looks de-lish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmm rhubarb crumble and custard. You're singing the song of my heart!! Looks gorgeous! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks amazing!I am sure I would enjoy it!Kisses,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooohhh rhubarb crumble - one of my very favourites. I am going to have to make this now :)))

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds utterly delicious. I've never used barley flour but plan to give it a try when I make this.

    I'm not sure why it is but when I read your blog and others from England I always read it as though I have a British accent. I somehow enjoy reading it that way to get the whole affect of the post. Silly, isn't it?

    Your recipe sounds wonderful and I definitely plan to. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, the flecked custard sounds amazing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can't go wrong with 2 desserts in one! What a delectable combination!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! It's that time of year! Crisps, Crumbles, and Rhubarb. Bookmarking your topping because it sounds heartier and crunchier than the one I use.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary, I pretending that I'm licking the spoon and I'm swooning! :) This looks fabulous, a perfect springtime treat! It's so funny, my daughter never cooked with rhubarb till she moved to London - I think it is definitely more popular over there but people don't know what they're missing here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am going to make this this weekend. The custard looks fantastic. Love your blog. I love British cooking sites but the conversions are a little bit of a nuisance...your blog is the best if both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am going to make this this weekend. The custard looks fantastic. Love your blog. I love British cooking sites but the conversions are a little bit of a nuisance...your blog is the best if both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The dish is looking irresistible. That close up shot is the ultimate teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks incredible! I had apple crumble with custard when I was in London and it was so good but I know I would love this version even more-- yum Rhubarb!! Another one of your delicious recipes, I need to try!:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me encanta este postre con natillas es una delicia,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how you tend to make classic British dishes and share them over the pond x Rhubarb crumble looks absolutely delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I like the looks of this. I made a rhubarb crumble last year. It's not yet in season here, but looking forward to its arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my mouth is watering from all the rhubarb that I keep seeing posted lately! This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've made many a crumble in my time, but never rhubarb. My husband talks about it occasionally which makes me think it might be a nice father's day dessert in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Although this is one of your lovely April posts and rhubarb is not available anymore, I still feel that I should comment how much I enjoyed reading all about this recipe in your blog. I love Jamie Oliver´s recipes too and this Rhubarb Crumble with Vanilla Flecked Custard sounds so wonderful - I am sure that apples would be terrific in this recipes too - I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Making it today for after dinner, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ah. This is still hot now in the spring of 2013! Looks awesone. Haven't made it yet, but will in the next two days. I have a ton of fresh rhubarb.

    Now Im a nutrition-nerd and if someone is interested you can check out how fantastically nutritious this vegetable (yes, rhubarb is not a fruit!) is right here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2056/2 (a great database for nutrition-nerds). Unfortunately it is difficult absorbing much of the calcium, because of the oxalates. On the other hand rhubarb contains very large amounts of superhealthy polyphenols. On the same level as red cabbage some sources claims! Ok school is closing now... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made this recipe today, I used equal amounts of apple and rhubarb and sweetened it with honey, and oh...I substituted the orange with 1/2 a lemon, it was amazing. I'm about to make the custard, it sounds awesome, but I am feeling really guilty about consuming all those calories.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh God...do I love custard. English desserts are the best! Will definitely be making this to try on a plum apple crumble! I wrote a post in my blog about English desserts, here's the link http://oracibo.com/6624/english-tarts-aka-a-bunch-of-tarts/

    ReplyDelete
  38. First fresh Rhubarb is in the super markets around here and I just couldn't wait any longer to try this recipe! Custard is made already and tastes absolutely fantastic, rhubarb still in the oven. Thanks a lot for posting... I really don't get why so many people complain about British cuisine - really love your desserts! Cheers from Germany

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!