Monday, May 21, 2012

Angelic Garlic Mashed Potato with Fresh Rosemary and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.



Let's talk potato.  The other day I was watching a cooking show where the host was making mashed potato.  I'm the first to admit that although I have very good intentions, I do get a little carried away with my use of butter.  Well, I'm a perfect angel compared to this cook.  Two sticks of butter was tossed into the potato followed by sour cream, cheddar cheese, a heavy dose of salt and wait for it, yes, another stick of butter.  It was a bit of a turn off.  I want a wonderful taste but I don't want to ingest that amount of fat, I have enough trouble with my waistline as it is.  I wondered how I could achieve angelic potatoes.  This is my offering.  By boiling the garlic and rosemary along with the potatoes, they seem to infuse their flavor. I tried it out on the family last night and got the hoped for result. "What did you put in the potatoes?" they asked,"they're mad good."  Score.

Angelic Garlic Mashed Potato with Fresh Rosemary and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves, in their skins
1 large fresh sprig of rosemary
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
A couple of grindings of black pepper
Pinch of sea salt
2 -3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of skimmed milk

Fill a large saucepan half way up with water and put it on to boil.  Add the potatoes, rosemary and garlic.



Boil the potatoes, garlic and rosemary for about 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.  Drain.  Remove the rosemary and garlic to a cutting board.


Squeeze the garlic out of their skins and chop very finely along with the rosemary.  Add this back to the pot with the drained potatoes.  Add the milk, a few tablespoons of olive oil, Parmesan, salt and black pepper.


Mash it all together, add more oil, milk or cheese if you desire.


I just had to show the milk bottle because I so enjoy it - it's like the old fashioned milk bottles the milkman used to bring to the house in England.


The potatoes go with just about anything.  Although the photo doesn't show it, they have a lovely golden color - I assume from the olive oil. Serve with a sprig of rosemary, enjoy and feel virtuous. 





Let's talk potato.

28 comments:

  1. These sound very good to me too! I have fresh rosemary that I use with chicken, pork, and sweet potato hash. My daughter would never let me put much butter in the mashed potatoes, so that would turn me off too. I often avoid many recipes that use so much butter, even when baking! Nice job here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashed potatoes are the perfect comfort food. We sometimes use Greek yogurt in our mashed potatoes in lieu of butter.

    It's been in the high 80's here so mashed potatoes have not been on our radar. I did make popovers last night and it felt weird to be eating our favorite fall meal in summer like weather.

    I will definitely bookmark this recipe for fall! Love the milk bottle, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that fat does sound off-putting! I have had mashed potato with olive oil before, and it is very good, but the addition of garlic and rosemary, well yes, I am sure that would make them "mad good" Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look really delicious mary:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, these look Delicious! I need to trim my rosemary back so I know what I will be adding it to now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These potatoes sound tasty. I've never had them made with olive oil but I bet the flavor goes very well with the garlic and rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potatoes, mashed, baked, roasted, chipped. In fact I love them done any way.
    This does sound delicious though. I've never thought of putting olive oil in them. Might just try that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look delicious! I'd have cut all that out, too. Your recipe looks so good with a lot of flavor, who needs all the fat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look fabulously delicious Mary! We are real mashed potato nuts in this house!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel kind of like rosemary and potatoes were meant to go together. This looks like some serious comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing. I have stopped cooking potatoes as much as I used to just because of the butter. I am going to try your recipe. They look creamy and fluffy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love butter but sometimes too much is just too much. Your recipe sounds awesome and I'm so excited to try the garlic and rosemary in the pot - love that!! I have also never used EVOO in my mashed potatoes, but I am trying that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks heavenly, so glad to find your blog! Being a Turkish blogger living in England, I sure will treasure this recipes, we love a good mash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always amazed at how some people consume butter like others consume water! I don't blame you for wanting to find a better way to make wonderfully, creamy and delicious potatoes... I think you found the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love the sound of this! I am going to try herbs while boiling the potatoes next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How delicious, they would be perfect with lamb or with fish, or on a shepherd's pie! Thank you. Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely idea- I completely agree- fat doesn't always mean flavour. Sometimes it just means....fat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUMMM! wow, you made mashed potatoes rise to a whole new level with this recipe! Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the garlic and rosemary infusion - what a clever idea. I use too much butter but I don't use anywhere near that much in my potatoes. If I follow your directions I'll be happy and butter free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so creamy! I bet a small drizzle of truffle oil would be perfect on these!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A smooth and creamy mash is always nice to eat with almost all mains. Yours looks just like a perfect mash :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love adding garlic to the potato boiling water but the addition of rosemary is totally new to me and I really can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sure this is so tasteful!Garlic and rosemary are a great match!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. We're off of starchy veggies and sugar for awhile. So...I made this "mashed faux potatoes" with cauliflower. We couldn't believe how much it had the texture and somewhat the taste of potatoes. I'll bet yours were so delicious with the fresh rosemary thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "mad good"! I like that and they do look heavenly or indeed angelic. Mmmmmmm :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are certainly healthy mashed potatoes, with the fresh garlic, and rosemary. This is certainly the best way to enjoy them...nothing like extra virgin olive oil to add flavor, and keep it light and healthy:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary, I love the combination of rosemary and olive oil, perfect for these mashed potatoes. I've made roasted potatoes with this combination and will now have to give these mashed potatoes a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect twist on mashed potatoes! What´s not to love about this recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!