Friday, May 25, 2012

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Creamy Vanilla Frosting.


"Classic" never goes out of style.

Chocolate and Vanilla is surely the all time favorite flavor combination.

Scrumptious.

I don't know about you, but I actually find baking cookies quite challenging.  They're either dry, burnt or too gooey.  I really didn't have high hopes for these as I was rattling around in the kitchen last night.  When they cooled I decided to be totally decedent and frost them, then stick them together like some sort of edible craft project. I have to admit they were wonderful.  The cookies were crumbly and oh so chocolately and the frosting was creamy and voluptuous.  If I make any more of these I'm going to get voluptuous.

The motley crew loved them too.  I had to rescue the last one and hide it for my husband before they inhaled the lot.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla Frosting.

1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.

6 oz unsalted softened butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup - 1/3 cup milk

Heat the oven to 350F

Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs one at a time and beat until thoroughly combined.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt together and add to the mixture.

Stir to combine. The mixture will be quite stiff.

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment paper.  Take a tablespoon of the dough at a time, roll it into a ball in the palm of your hands and place it on the baking sheet. 

Press down on the top of the dough balls with the tip of a fork dipped in cocoa powder to flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Check after 8 minutes, the cookies will harden a little on cooling.

Allow to cool thoroughly before frosting.

To make the frosting combine all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Add only 1/4 cup of milk to begin with, if the mixture is very thick slowly add a little more milk.  If it's too thin, add a little more confectioner's sugar.

Frost the cookies and sandwich together.


24 comments:

  1. aahhh, delicious!! I want one for my bedtime snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look absolutely delicious Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely delicious Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now Mary, these sound very decadent indeed and look totally delicious and hard to resist! Voluptuous! Yes! Something to try when I have visitors so I don't eat too many!
    What a good place to put the conversion chart. I'm sure that lots of people will be grateful for that especially when it comes to things like sticks of butter!
    Have a lovely weekend with your family! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really, REALLY good Mary! Kind of like Oreos, but way better coz they're homemade! Everything you make always looks sooooooo good!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just by the look of them it's easy to see why they were a big hit. There is something addicting about a good homemade chocolate cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary,
    Delighted to find your blog! Being a Turkish blogger living in England, I am sure I will treasure your recipes! I love British puddings and pies and so nice to get from you:) I publish Turkish and Med recipes at my blog, if you'd like to visit sometime. I will give your blog a link at mine and look forward to visiting again.
    Enjoy NY!
    Ozlem (from Surrey, England)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I want one of these right now! Fabulous looking cookies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, these look absolutely scrumptious! Yum! PS: I awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Come on over for the badge :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOoww...luce absolutamente delicioso y lindo me encanta,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These would last NO TIME at my house.
    I buy about 2 bags of Oreo's a week, so I know for sure that these homemade cookies would be a big hit..
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look and sound delectable! It's no wonder they disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does look delicious! What a nice treat and perfect for the summer. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious, Mary! I've had an oreo recipe saved to try for months now. I need to taste these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They must be really yummy!So professional too!Have a lovely week,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there,
    It's me again :)
    I just did a blogpost, and showered you with some lovely awards!! Any excuse for recognition, delighted to find your blog. Here is the link, if you'd like to check out:
    http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2012/05/fresh-delicious-and-fun-cooking-turkish-food-made-easy/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love a dozen... no wait, three dozen please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not surprised these vanished straight away! They look so yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh these look totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look just yummy! Frosted cookies rank way above a regular cookie. Put a top on and you really have something special.
    Can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i seldom bake cookies cos i find it a little difficult to work out the best temperature for my cookies, they tend to get soft easily or either browns fast. these cookies sound irresistible with that vanilla frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Who doesn't love whoopie pies? They are like mini cakes or cake cookies. I love them and this post made me realize that I need to make them again. I'm sure they were eaten up within a day in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look delicious and the fact that they are frosted puts these over the top yummy! I would have wanted to eat way too many of these, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!