Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fennel Soup with Crispy Leeks, a Concussion and a Stay at the Hospital!


When it rains it pours - how very true.  There has been all manner of upheavals going on lately and on Mother's Day we had the icing on the cake.  My eldest got socked on the top of the head by a fast moving lacrosse ball.  Down she went, out cold.  Off we went to the emergency room where all manner of tests were administered.  We booked in for the night and bright and early the next morning she was whisked off for an MRI and an EEG.  I was trying to keep the atmosphere light and took pictures of her with 35 electrodes stuck to her head. "You'll laugh about this later, I promise!" I said.  She's  not laughing.

The upshot is that her lovely little head is fully intact. She has a massive headache and a nasty concussion but she will be back on the field way before I'm ready for her to be there.  I can't tell you how lovely the hospital staff were, every single one of them.  When you're feeling vulnerable and scared, what a difference that makes.

Now we're home and I've shifted into full "comfort food cooking mode."  Soup surely is the ultimate comfort food with the added bonus that it's good for you (and requires no skill on the part of the cook, which is just as well as I'm still a bit jittery).  I had tasted fennel soup at a restaurant a few weeks ago and was longing to make it.  My daughter who lost her appetite along with her consciousness wanted a second bowl :)))

Fennel Soup with Crispy Leeks;

2 Fennel bulbs, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 small potatoes, cleaned and diced
olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper
32 oz organic chicken stock
1-2 leeks
1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.

In a large Dutch oven or saucepan heat the olive oil and butter.

Add the onions and sweat for 10 minutes.

Add the garlic, fennel, carrots and potatoes.

Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes or so, until soft and very slightly golden.

Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover.  Cook on a med/low heat for another 15-20 minutes until the all the veggies are well cooked through.

Remove from heat and blend in batches. 

Return the soup to the pot and add the heavy cream if using. Stir to combine.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan until foaming. Slice the leeks in half and then into very thin strips.  Fry them in the oil and butter until crispy.

Pour the soup into a bowl and top with the crispy leeks.

36 comments:

  1. OH DEAR! I am so sorry to hear about the accident, but I am glad your daughter is okay!! With some rest and delicious food like this soup (looks amazing!), I am sure she'll be feeling well again soon. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am glad she is fine! That was some Mother's Day experience for you. I am sure you will be taking extra-special care of your daughter. This soup will definitely help. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to read that your daughter is home again and feeling much better! This soup sounds fantastic and I am loving the idea of the crispy leeks on top. Wishing her a very fast rest of the recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear MAry Im ao aorry about your daughter is nice she is better!!
    Love this soup look delicious!! all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your daughters accident! I’m also very glad to hear she is going to be fine.
    I’m sure your soup helped in helping her to feel better…it looks wonderful and so yummy!
    Here’s hoping she is back to normal soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness how scary that must have been. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is ok.
    Your soup looks delicious - you just can't beat a bowl of soup as a comfort food. I don't think I've ever eaten fennel in any form before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear all will be well! The delicious soup no doubt took a bit of the ache away I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious - kids are so resilient, but I am glad your daughter is OK - so worrying when they are in hospital. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh - poor girl! Glad she's better, but hopefully she'll take it easy until she's ready to go back out on the field. This soup would definitely be comforting at a time like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Lamb, I hope she recovers quickly. The soup sounds just the ticket, best wishes to you all, Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I'm so relieved to hear that your daughter's ok. Still, it doesn't hurt to remind her to let you know immediately if she gets any further pain or related symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry! Give your daughter my love. This soup looks like the perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow....what a scare...so happy that everything is ok, other than the headaches and the concussion...
    she really does need to rest and take it easy..
    This recipe looks like it would be great...I love fennel...
    Take care of that girl..
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad your daughter's ok and on the mend! I know that must have been scary for everyone.

    The fennel soup looks lovely and warm comforting! Perfect for when you are recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope everyone is okay! The crispy leeks look simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’d like to present you with the “Versatile Blogger Award!” Please stop by my blog to “pick it up!” http://www.createamazingmeals.com/2012/05/old-fashioned-chocolate-cake-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to know that after all that stress, that your daughter and your family went through, all is perfectly well. The soup sounds delicious and comforting indeed. Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so glad to hear that your daughter is fine. Head injuries can be so unpredictable and you ignore them at your peril.
    This soup sounds delicious and is my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry!With such yummy soup and love she will be soon well!
    Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad your daughter is doing well. There's nothing more heart stopping than one of your babies getting badly hurt. I'm glad that the hospital staff are nice as well. It makes a big difference when you are feeling scared and vulnerable. You're soup is definitely a comfort one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear she got hit so hard in the head, but I'm glad to hear that she will be fine. And of course, with a soup like this to comfort her, she'll be on the road to full recovery in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry that happened but so glad she is okay! This soup looks like a great way to help her get better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about it but glad she'll be ok! Asking for a second helping is a great sign :) It looks delicious, especially with the Crispy Leeks on top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened to her--and you! Sports injuries to the head are so very scary! I have three VERY athletic daughters, as well...soccer. We've had our share of scares, too, so I know how you feel! Hope she feels better VERY soon!

    Love the look of that soup--comfort food at it's finest! You always inspire...

    Wishing you a beautiful, injury-free day!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't realise they still played lacrosse these days! Your poor daughter - ouch. Your soup sounds like just the thing. I hope she feels better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just tried leaving a comment and it disappeared! Here goes ... I didn'tknow they still played lacrosse these days! Your poor daughter - ouch. Yr soup sounds just the thing. I hope she feels better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary I am so sorry to hear about the accident, but I am glad your daughter is okay!

    This soup looks amazing and I LOVE the crispy leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg, you must have been beside yourself! Glad there was no serious damage.How do American hospitals compare with the NHS? Hope she is feeling better now.
    Fennel soup
    sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so sorry about your daughter - hope she is on the mend! The soup sounds wonderful - it would make me feel better instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't say anything better than those above have said. Best to you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You must be relieve that your daughter is ok. Hope that your delicious cooking will help her to recover better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad she's ok Mary! I can only imagine your fear. Hugs to you! Great comforting soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks really wonderful and comforting! So sorry to hear about this terrible accident, so glad to hear she's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your soup looks delicious!

    Happy to hear your daughter is well. Good hospital staff definitely make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my! that sounds scary... I am glad all is well... I am sure she is completely back to normal by now because I am visiting this post so late...

    And that soup looks yummy - especially those crispy leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so glad your daughter is home and all better! The soup looks truly comforting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!