Friday, May 18, 2012

Mediterranean (no food in the house) Quick Fix Tart!


I had an emergency situation yesterday of no food in the house, or so I thought.  A quick rifle through the fridge found a lonely slab of forgotten puff pastry, a selection of half empty jars of pesto, baby hot peppers, capers, olives, artichoke hearts and a packet of goat cheese. Ha! no food indeed! This turned out to be a gorgeous little dinner which took about 5 minutes to make. Plus I used up all those pesky jars that take up so much room in the fridge.  I forgot how much I like puff pastry - even if it didn't really puff.   



Mediterranean Quick Fix Tart

1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
Approx 3-4 tablespoons of pesto sauce
4-5 jarred artichoke hearts, sliced
A handful of jarred red peppers (sweet or hot) sliced
A handful of pitted olives, green or black
6 oz goats cheese, crumbled (you could alternatively use feta)
1 tablespoon of capers

Heat the oven to 400F

Roll out the puff pastry and place on a baking sheet.  Make sure you have an edge around the outside so the filling doesn't ooze all over during baking.



Spread the pesto sauce over the base of the tart.  It looks a bit like a newly mowed lawn!


Arrange the rest of the topping ingredients over the pesto. No artistic skill required.


Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the pastry puffs (hopefully) and is golden.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle over some fresh herbs from the garden.  Drizzle over some olive oil if you wish. Best eaten warm from the oven. That won't be hard.



29 comments:

  1. This looks scrumptious! I have some half empty jars of pesto, capers, artichokes hearts, goat cheese and olives! Just need the puff pastry and roasted peppers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tasty looking "no-food-in-the-house" tart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, this a beautiful tart. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! If you can do that with no food in the house, I'd love to see what you fix after you've been to the store. :) It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic supper, I've added all those ingredients on my shopping list, I'll be baking this one evening soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the best kinds of tarts Mary! You're a woman after my own heart! I love to do this type of thing and your tart looks fabulously delicious!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary, this goat's cheese and vegetable tart sounds delicious and definitely a recipe I will enjoy trying!
    By the way, I've put your blog link up on my own blog here:
    reflectionsandnature.blogspot.com
    so that those who visit me may discover your lovely recipes and I can see when you have put up something new to try out!
    Have a lovely weekend! Sandra
    P.S. I like the new photo of you sitting in an armchair with a mug of something warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous, my kind of "put it together" meal.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. You deserve a major pat on the back for pulling this together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious!!! I will sometimes make a similar tart using salami or chorizo, plus whatever bits and bobs there are in the fridge and mozzarella. Always a success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a interesting tart just like sometime I fix my pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Puff pastry is a wonderful thing and your meal looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a GREAT idea for a quick dinner fix Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love pantry meals! We've made some of our most creative & delicious meals when we were too tired to go to the store on the way home. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made something similar...sheer heaven! I think yours without a recipe looks even better than mine with one :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quick save! Sounds and looks absolutely delicious. IO haven't made a tart like this in an age. Must make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes - I love using puff pastry like this.Yours looked gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic! Don't you love when you pull things out of the fridge and they come together? Great flavors here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow I bet that tasted good. It is amazing what can be produced from 'nothing'!
    Thanks so much for you kind thoughts and condolences, much appreciated. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh...I sure wish I had the ability to throw stuff together to make a delicious meal like this....
    looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks SO tasty... I haven't been blogging very regularly... I am so sorry I haven't visited in so long! Catching up on some of your posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love dishes like this - the final outcome is a surprise! Your tart looks delicious! Besides, you can never go wrong with puff pastry :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks delicious. Isn't it amazing what we can come up with when we have 'nothing in!' Definitely making this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow...very creative and delicious looking. what's the saying- necessity is the mother of invention!

    ReplyDelete
  25. GENIUS! I love that you used the puff pastry and pesto as the base. That sounds so darned good :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another great recipe…it looks wonderfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea. I love when things come together with minimal ingredients you happen to have on hand. I'm a big fan of all of these flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  28. MMM...these are totally my type of flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!