Thursday, May 17, 2012

Shrimp Scampi and Child Rearing Issues.



Sophie my eldest daughter, the one who got a nasty clonk on the head LOVES shrimp.  At the moment what Sophie wants, Sophie gets - and this was dinner last night.  I wasn't completely sure of how to cook shrimp scampi, it was a question of a little of this and a little of that, mix it all together and cross your fingers.  Happily it worked. 

I would also like to thank you so much for such kind comments on my last post.

On a child rearing note, I am quite clear on the "it's not good to hit your children" issue.  However when my fourteen year old snarled at her ailing post concussive sister,"I'm so jealous! I wish I could lie in bed all day and do nothing!" I had to smoother an impulse to pounce.  Was she just stressed like the rest of us? probably that was it - so I made her a bacon sandwich. I think I'm a bit of a wimp.

Shrimp Scampi;

1 1/2 lbs fresh shrimp, cleaned
Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
A handful of fresh parsley, minced
A splash of white wine (optional)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Zest and juice of a lemon
A pinch of red pepper flakes

1 packet of Spaghetti

Heat the water for the spaghetti and cook according to the packet.

Whisk together the olive oil, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, juice, chopped parsley and mustard.



Add the shrimp and allow to marinate while you cook the onion.


Pour a tablespoon or two of olive oil into a large frying pan and heat.  Add the onion and cook on a low heat until just turning golden.  Add the minced garlic and a little minced parsley and continue to cook for another few minutes.  Don't burn the garlic!


When everything is looking nice and golden, turn up the heat and add the shrimp.  Although shrimp needs to be cooked through, don't over do it.  Overcooked shrimp tastes like little bits of chewy rubber - with no flavor - not what we're after.  If you're using the wine, now's the time to pour that in, let the alcohol burn off.


Drain the spaghetti, pour into a bowl, pour a little olive oil over it and add the shrimp mixture.  Top with more parsley and lemon juice and slices.


27 comments:

  1. I love that you jumped into the scampi idea. I hope you folks can get past your daughter's trauma as soon and as easily as possible. I happen to love scampi, and you absolutely cannot go wrong as long as the shrimp is not overcooked. Keep on keeping on, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks so yummy! Hummm... :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! You handled things nicely. Food is love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh Mary these shrimps look georgeous!! a nice plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shrimp scampi and yours sounds and looks delish!! I've always used Tyler Florence's recipe, but your addition of dijon sounds yummy! Hope all is well with your daughter and her head injury. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm this looks tasty. Hope your daughter continues to recover quickly from her concussion - and your other daughter stops feeling a wee bit left out. Keep the bacon sandwiches on the go that should definately help :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful and I think you have the perfect amount of spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you aced shrimp scampi.

    Sending positive thoughts your way for your daughter's speedy recovery.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary I forget to say you Im posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary, I found your blog from your comment on Lizzy's "That Skinny Chick Can Bake". Basically the 'British' part stood out to me since I'm a fellow Brit too. So nice to read your 'about me' page. We have a few things in common. I too realised in a short space of time after having my 3 girls that I'd need to cook. I have been learning slowly.

    I love your approach too. I have the e.x.a.c.t. same approach. Not everything turns out and I intend to blog the good, the bad, and the downright uglies, LOL. From looking at your posts all your food looks awesome anyway.. Supermum.

    Sending healing vibes to your daughter.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shrimp scampi looks so good.I have never eaten shrimp scampi, but I love shrimp. I hope your daughter feels better, it is always so scary when you child gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love shrimp scampi! It is on my menu for this week! Yours looks really delicious! Thanks for sharing! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Una buona giornata e felice fine settimana....ciao

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks totally delicious. I'm a wimp when it comes to cooking seafood - although I can cope with mussels - but I love eating it, so I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're not a wimp...you're a super mom!
    Love your shrimp scampi. It's a great recipe; I bet your daughter loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made shrimp scampi but you're making me want to! I do love eating it - just have never made it. Delicious! Continued good wishes for you and your daughter's recovery! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE shrimp scampi.. and this looks perfect! And bacon sandwiches are definitely better than hitting... heck, you can come make me one too if you really want :) I promise not to snarl!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids react the same way. I think it's just that they want some of the attention the other one is getting (no matter the reason). I think it's sweet you made her a bacon sandwich. :) This scampi looks fantastic! It's one of our favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What delicious looking shrimp! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore shrimp scampi. I hope that your daughter continues to heal very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bacon = happiness! Hope your daughter is doing better! Your scampi looks divine! One of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant, just brilliant! Oh, and beautiful too! And did I say delicious? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your scampi - we are on a shrimp kick here so this might be on my menu soon. Sorry about your daughter's bump on her head. It sounds like typical sibling rivalry to me:-(. I know in the past when one of my girls gets a scrape or bump and we give them a little extra attention the other one might get jealous of the attention and forget how hurt their sister is at that time...I don't get it either, but I think it's just part of having a sister - at least you know they are normal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'm not too familar with scampi but looking at the way you do this, i think i can handle this, it sounds delicious! i just read about your daughter's injury in your previous post, i hope she is recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh....mi querida Mary es una delicia es mi plato preferido,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!