Friday, June 8, 2012

The Best Burger with all the Trimmings!



We've had a busy week, the end of year school activities have been non stop and we're steering head first into the summer ones with swim team practices and tennis round robins and all those lovely things that shout summer! I decided to fire up the grill and rustle up some juicy burgers.

With very little effort you can transform your mundane everyday burger with its plastic cheese topping, into a gastronomic extravaganza filled with caramelized onions and gorgonzola.  Who knew a 10 year old liked gorgonzola?


Best Burger Ingredients

2 lbs of best quality ground beef
1 egg
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.

Toppings

Caramelized onions (recipe to follow)
Blue cheese of your choice
Lettuce
Tomato
Ketchup
Burger buns

To make the burgers, combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together thoroughly.





Shape into patties.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap and put into the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.  They can be left overnight.

When ready to cook, remove from the fridge, rub with a small amount of olive oil.  Heat your grill (or pan) until hot and cook the burgers to your liking.



Lightly toast the buns and assemble your burger.



Caramelized Onions

3-4 large onions
Olive oil
Sea salt
2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar

This may look like a lot of onions when you slice them but it’s surprising how they reduce when cooked. You don’t want to skimp on these!

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Slice the onions, add to the pan, sprinkle over a little sea salt and sauté on a low heat for approximately 10-15 minutes.



Stir frequently to avoid any burning. When golden, add the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Heap onto your burger.









37 comments:

  1. sounds like a busy summer! beautiful burger,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat a great home-made burger and yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a good burger. Love the onions and blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    The burger looks so good. I love caramelized onions.
    I will try making this someday with chicken.
    I don't eat beef, that's y... :)

    Have a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would call this a gourmet burger with all of the fancy toppings. Love the idea of fresh rosemary in the meat. Rosemary just might be my favorite herb.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful burger! I love caramelized onions, and bleu cheese. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love caramelized onions on a burger, and blue cheese! This is the perfect burger...and I am fussy about my burgers!

    I am right there with you finishing the busy week at the end of school week! Hope things calm down for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who doesn't love a good burger? I am drooling. Those caramelized onions are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing! Now I know what I want for dinner tonight. Craving a burger just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!! This has to be the perfect burger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm drooling just looking at the photo! And have not had my breakfast yet! I'm having my morning mug of coffee now, and sure wish this burger is on my table!! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. juicy burger? caramelized onions? YES I'll take one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love your delicious burger. I also add chopped rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce, although I don't use an egg, but then again, the egg binds it and makes it more flavorful. I love caramelized onions, just don't take the time to make it for the burger...now I'm craving one just like yours!

    Also, the cocktails on your previous post are incredibly pretty, and my, oh, my so, refreshing, and a perfect one to really sit back put your feet up, relax, and enjoy!...oh, yes:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now THAT'S a fab looking burger!! Wowsa Mary! I am wanting one for breakfast! I know what I'm having for supper tonight! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the step-by-step burger photos. I don't go there with my burger posts because my hubby grills the burgers. I'm a bit intimidated by the grill. We love topping our burgers with different mayo sauces. Eli loves turkey burgers now that I smothered his with cilantro-lime mayo. I love the caramelized onion idea.

    Are your kids finished with school? Mine finished yesterday so it's officially summer for us. Yippee! Time for relaxing by the pool and sleeping in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We never have burgers but the caramelised onions may just tempt me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can always use a good burger recipe! Isn't the end of the school year crazy! Whew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This homemade burger is so inviting!I bet your family devoured them!Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your burgers truly look amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe for the caramilised onions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. your burger looks amazing, bring summer on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those caramelized onions are like crack to me. I just cannot resist them on a burger!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i agree with the rest..that caramelised onions is looking fabulous with the burgers! you are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary,
    Your children are acquiring quite a palate with these burgers, carmelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. Good for them. I especially like the caramelized onions on my turkey burger.

    Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the rosemary in your burgers. I've never tried that. Looks like you're getting off to a great grilling start for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love a burger with caramelized onions!

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks so easy to prepare and delicious...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummmm black and blue burger! This one's the hubs favourite and the only way I would eat blue cheese is in a burger : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would be happy with just the caramelized onions and blue cheese!
    Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my - I think I'm hungry now :))

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am drooling! It does look like the BEST burger!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your burger is simply mouthwatering, Mary. I'm so happy to have the grill out again. Everything tastes better when its cooked outside and it keeps the kitchen clean as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This definitely looks like the best burger!! Love the caramelized onions…yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. it looks amazing!! must try with the caramalised onions, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are mouth-watering! I'd love to sink my teeth into that!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love a good burger, Mary, and this looks suberb!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!