Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chocolate Cake for a Needy Moment.





This cake was made for "a needy moment."  I have many needy moments but surprisingly this time it was not my moment.  It was my eldest daughters. My girls are in the midst of finals week.  You can cut the atmosphere around here with a butter knife.  Frankly I'm just keeping my head down and baking chocolate cakes.  It's the best stratergy I can come up with.  I'll be happy when it's all over.  The cake did help though, the sponge is moist and rich and the frosting, believe me, is deeply sinfully delicious.  I highly recommend it for any "needy moments" you may be wrestling with.





Chocolate Cake

6 oz unsalted butter
1 12/ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch of salt

Chocolate Frosting

2 oz unsalted butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 - 3 cups confectioner's sugar
Splash of milk

To make the cake

Heat the oven to 350 F
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and thoroughly combine.



Melt the chocolate chips and add to the butter/sugar mixture.






Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half to the chocolate mixture and gently combine.





Mix together the water and the vanilla and slowly add it to the mixture.





Add the remainder of the flour mixture and combine.





Line two 8 inch baking pans. 

Pour in the batter and place in the oven for approx 20-25 minutes until risen and set.







Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and thoroughly cool before frosting.

To make the frosting

Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave proof bowl and heat until melted.  Stir thoroughly.

Add the cream.





Stir until smooth.



Place the confectioner's sugar into the bowl of a mixer.Pour in the chocolate and combine. If the frostings too thick add a splash of milk. If it's too thin add a little more confectioner's sugar. Fill and frost the cake.

Tuck in!




33 comments:

  1. Oh wow..I'm smack bang in the middle of a needy moment right now, how I would love a piece of that cake! I'm sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor crying my eyes out at all the boxes I'm surrounded with as I realise there's more than double the amount here that will fit in my car! and I have to be out of our flat first thing in the morning! and have no idea what to do with all this stuff! stressful times! how a piece of chocolate cake could solve all my problems! Good luck to your girls, hope the house is back to happy times soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Mary is to die for I love the frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that cake looks absolutely perfect! I can almost taste it! Would love to chase the needy moments away with this! Your girls sure are lucky to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious but dangerous if it's that easy! I might not be so "needy" when I make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. I think that could solve a great deal of problems....or at least make me forget them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quick cakes like this! It's just gorgeous. Best of luck to your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want one of these chocolate cakes for the needy moment I'll be having tomorrow, since it'll be the last day of school for the year and a bit hectic and crazy. Looks so good- like it would be a comfort in any situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Needy Moment Cake! It sounds perfect and looks delicious! Yummy looking photos! Your girls are getting delicious comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate is a well known cure for most ailments and nervous moods! I think this lovely cake would go down a real treat and make anyone feel better! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Exam time here too, and that cake looks like just the thing to alleviate stress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a needy moment right now!Send me a huge slice of this scrumptious cake!Blessings,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake looks good! Any time is a needy moment if I could have a slice of this delicious moist looking choc cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might just have to have a needy moment later today. I am constantly on the search for good chocolate cake recipes so thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I hear you about the needy moments of the kids. I feel so much pressure when my kids have to test, test, test...because I am also the teacher! I am incessantly worrying about whether I am doing enough, chosen the best curriculums, staying on schedule, etc. I can't believe we are so carefree right now after all of the chaos of college apps, tests, forms had engulfed the year. We are really struggling with unwinding and moving at a slower pace...dare I say we are...bored?? NO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake looks amazing, Mary! I think next time I have a needy moment, I'm calling you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would like to be your girl! LOL! looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fantastic. All I'd need is an ice cold glass of milk to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You cake looks delicious. You don't have to have children to have "needy" moments. Believe me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm feeling pretty needy today too. Can I have some cake now? It looks so good, sweet, moist and chocolately!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This cake would make finals much better to deal with! It looks moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you believe, even though I don't eat chocolate, my needy recipe actually includes cocoa?! Everyone needs a needy recipe. :) This looks like something my daughter would enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! What lucky kids you have. I have just gone through 3 of mine doing GCSEs (2 a year early); this is possible as IO have stepchildren as well as my own. I agree that the best thing to do is get in the kitchen and bake them something nice; a great way to show your love and support, and probably the only thing you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cake sounds delicious! I'm sure it helped your daughters greatly. And on the plus side, finals are almost over at last!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love a piece of this cake. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I often bake something sweet on Mondays for the kids when they come home from school. They walk in the house and smell the aroma of fresh baked cookies or cake and their Monday is complete.

    I am sure your girls were happy to have some chocolate cake to nibble on while studying for those finals. I hope they are finished with school! My kids started summer last week and were headed back east Monday to visit family! It's so nice to have a break from all that school work and all those activities.

    xoxo,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love chocolate cake. Your recipe and photos are terrific... perfect for the family--and for company

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! Why did I not see this cake last week when I had a moment. Gonna pin this for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, I'm feeling a needy moment right now! Sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahhh, needy moments! Growing up my dad used to walk around the kitchen and say "chocolate cake, I want chocolate cake", in hopes that someone would hear him and make him a cake. This is the cake. ;)
    Perfect for needy moments for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks utterly devine, I just want to reach in and take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yep, that cake looks perfect and I will def have a go......but I will need to make sure I 'translate' the recipe to british amounts etc.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I need some of that right now. Can't wait to try that recipe out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!