Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homemade Tomato Sauce and Car Trouble!


It's been a while since my last post.  The reason being I've spent much of the previous two weeks whizzing up and down Interstate 95 visiting colleges with my eldest daughter.  It's been an education! We've wandered around many beautiful campuses, listened to countless information sessions and driven hundreds and hundreds of miles. 

I think the best part, at least for me, is having my daughter all to myself, a sort of captive audience, poor girl.  Things were going beautifully until after an afternoon tour with another long drive ahead of us, we climbed back into the car, turned the ignition and NOTHING!!  Not a chug or whimper. We called for a tow truck and sat in the admissions parking lot for 2 1/2 hours amusing ourselves with "practice interviews."    "Just think" I told my daughter, "they're bound to remember you here."  "Oh yes, you're the one with the mother who had a meltdown in the parking lot."  We eventually got the car working, which was a little sad as I was considering renting a convertible, were assured that as long as we didn't turn off the engine we would make it another hundred miles.  We did.

Once home it was impossible to ignore the tomato plants any longer. They were laden, many of the ripest produce had already been plundered by the birds and other wildlife.  I picked what was left and set about making tomato sauce.  It always amazes me how meltingly sweet homemade tomato sauce is.

I blanched, skinned, seeded and chopped the tomatoes.  It wasn't as laborious as I feared and the result was a smooth, silky almost buttery sauce.

Tomato Sauce.

About 16 medium - large tomatoes
Olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Fresh basil sprigs
1 teaspoonful sugar
Salt and pepper

Heat approximately 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or Dutch oven. 

Finely chop the onion and cook until transculent.

Meanwhile fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.  Place approx 4-5 tomatoes into the boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove the tomatoes and place in a colander to drain. Continue until all the tomatoes have been blanched.

Peel, core, seed and squeeze out the excess juice from the tomatoes.  Chop well.

Add the tomatoes to the onions, mix thoroughly, bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer.  Cook for a further 25 - 30 minutes until sauce is nice and thick and rich.  Use immediately or refrigerate for later use.
























34 comments:

  1. There's nothing quite like a homemade tomato sauce to accompany anything, but pasta is one of the best! Your sauce looks lovely and the recipe excellent, though I don't cook with garlic, I do use shallots which are easier (for me!) to digest.
    Sorry to hear about your car breakdown, but all was well in the end and you had some quality time with your daughter!
    Have a lovely weekend. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh... my mouth is watering... store tomatoes have NOTHING on fresh grown ones!! I'm so jealous, wish you could send me your extra tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the right time to make tomato sauce. There are fresh tomatoes in the market and my basil is overgrowing. I need to make tomato sauce.My mouth just waters as I say this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than homemade tomato sauce. I can't wait to make our annual batch in September. By the way, I'm glad you were able to get your car started again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish and I bet it tasted far better than shop brought tomato sauce. I've never made homemade tomato sauce before, but now have printed of your recipe as will make in the near future x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks heaven that you're not in the middle of nowhere when you had that car trouble ! :P :D Nothing beats homemade tomato sauce esp if that tomatoes are homegrown ! That pasta with tomato sauce looks wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my daughter's senior year in high school and I get all choked up just thinking about what is coming! Perhaps even this car trouble in hot summer was a blessing in disguise. :) Sauce looks just wonderful, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't have a daughter, but my "kid" Scooper (the King Charles Spaniel) says he wants to go to Yale and, get this, live off campus. I told him he could do it as soon as he demonstrates that he can open a can of dog food by himself. And I had to say no to the idea that he'd get his own car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homegrown tomatoes are almost like a different things from tasteless supermarket ones. Your sauce is the perfect way to use any extras. Few good ingredients and a great recipe, that´s all you need! Lovely sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice:) What a useful recipe! There are as lot of fresh tomato recipes coming out of US blogs right now, and I'm getting impatient as our season hasn't started yet (due to a dull and wet early Summer) they're all there, green and plump- they just need some more sun to ripen ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well even though you had some car trouble it will be an experience you'll both always remember and laugh about..fun memories.

    I love homemade tomato sauce and yours sounds simple and delicious. I wish I had a tomato garden or a garden at all. It would be nice to have fresh produce at my fingertips.

    Nice post. Did she find a college she liked best?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love homemade sauce and really love cars that run! So sorry for your bump in the road but am happy for your bonding time. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade tomato sauce is second to none.
    Sorry to hear about your car trouble, but at least you were in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great minds think alike. I just took all the photos for my sauce post. Yours looks delicious and such a good way to use up all the fresh garden tomatoes. I can remember looking at colleges with my three. Now if i can just get them to graduate I'll be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your tomato sauce looks lovely! Good luck with the college choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember those days of taking my daughter to look at schools…such very precious memories! Enjoy every moment..even the ones where your car won’t cooperate! You will look back fondly!!
    Your fresh tomato sauce looks luscious! Nothing better than just picked tomatoes! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have the most fantastic tomatoes here, so I'm going to make and use your lovely sauce. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, so sorry about your car trouble, that stinks! On the other hand your sauce sounds perfectly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me encanta la salsa casera es una delicia lindo plato,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Come on dear Mary I have a little giveaway to all living in USA you can participate:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad that you made it home. This homemade tomato sauce sounds wonderful. There is nothing like homemade tomato sauce, I like to make my own too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tasty looking sauce! And, welcome back from your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Car problems have a way of occurring at the most inopportune times, it seems. Hopefully that's completely behind you now.

    Your tomato sauce looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Homemade tomato sauce IS the best! Especially with tomatoes you've grown yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My tomatoes are mostly still green but I hope that I will soon be making sauce. Sorry about the car but at least you did get home eventually :) Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I got it this time per my instructor at Apple. Your tomato sauce is so appetizing. Pretty much the way my mother used to make.

    Your STUFFED PEPPERS out of this world (and hopefully into mine)..Lotsa love -

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your toMAHto sauce looks great and I can almost taste it. My mom used to make her own as well and sounds similar .

    The stuffed peppers are certainly the best. Do you think they could be served together? I'd like to try that out - separately or together would be fine. (hint) Lotsa love......

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hummm... que delícia!
    Eu amo massa com molho de tomate =)
    Tenha uma linda semana querida!
    Beijos, Vinni

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad you were able to get the car running...however, I know you both sure were wanting a good ride in a convertible!!
    I remember those days of college scouting...whew, very tiring.
    Let me tell you...the pasta looks divine!!
    Blessings.
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  30. homemade tomato anything is delicious! I picked 1½ 5 gallon buckets this morning and had a ½ bucket laying around. Guess what I'll be doing this week?! Glad you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Homemade tomato sauce makes everything better doesn't it? So sorry about the car trouble. I actually use both shallots and garlic and now i will be incorporating some of your ingredients too! Looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry to hear your car trouble. Good at least, everyone is safe... and car is still working.

    This is one of the food that I'm planning to cook when the tomato season arrive in Aus... Your looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having car troubles, and getting stuck waiting for a tow-truck is such a bad feeling...but could have been worse if being in a car accident to wait to have your car towed away. Glad it's been taken care of now!

    Your tomato sauce is so perfect and comforting, not to mention the fresh and delicious flavor for a simple and wonderful pasta dish:D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ugh. Car problems are the worst! You never realize how much you rely on it, until it is broken! I love a simple tomato sauce! Best way to use up extra tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!