Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chocolate Pudding, Quantity versus Quality?



Sinfully delicious traditional chocolate pudding.


Skinny tofu chocolate pudding.

I have a philosophical question for you.  It's a quality versus quantity issue.  Would you rather have a fully charged humdinger of a chocolate pudding with all the traditional ingredients of cream, eggs and sugar once in a long while, OR a skinny impostor made of tofu more often with a fraction of the fat and calories???  In my mind there's no question which tastes better.  The original makes your taste buds sing, just not your arteries.  The tofu version is fine, in fact if would be good if you've never tasted the real thing and certainly quells any unmanageable chocolate cravings.  I'm in a quandary, which would you choose,  once in a while treat or everyday ordinary??


Sinfully delicious chocolate pudding.

8 egg yolks
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1 cup of good quality chocolate
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
4 oz butter

Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl of your electric mixer and with the whisk attachment, whisk until very light and thick. 

Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stir until smooth and leave to cool while the eggs and sugar are whisking.

Add the slighty cooled melted chocolate to the eggs and sugar mixture and whisk to combine.

Add the cornstarch to the mixture and whisk to combine.

Heat the milk and vanilla extract in a pan to scalding point.  Pour into a measuring jug.

With the mixer running on low, very slowly pour the vanilla milk into the chocolate mixture. 

Whisk until fully combined.

Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, on a low heat stir continuously until thick. 

You may start to think it will NEVER thicken.  I have absolutely NO patience with this sort of thing.  It is generally just when I think I can't stand another moment of stirring that the cornstarch magically thickens the mixture and you are left with a beautiful smooth pudding like sauce.

If the mixture becomes lumpy, remove from the heat and whisk it furiously into smooth submission.

Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap directly on the top of the pudding and place in the refrigerator to fully set and chill.
Be sure to hide this at the back of the fridge, or else when you go to serve it, it will have been consumed by husband and children.

To serve, decorate with whipped cream and perhaps a shaving of chocolate and fall under the spell of chocolate pudding bliss.


Tofu Chocolate Pudding.

12 oz of silken tofu
1 tablespoon of agave nectar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup of skim milk

Microwave the chocolate chips until melted.

Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Blitz until you have a smooth consistency.

Pour into one big bowl or individual ramakins.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least a couple of hours.

Serve with perhaps a grating of extra chocolate on top and some berries of your choice.

44 comments:

  1. I think I better just try both in order to give a more balanced answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried any of them as strange as it may sound for you:) but as I know myself, I would rather choose the original, as long as I am not let's say in Thailand, then I would choose the tofu one:)

    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one I would steer clear of simply because of al the ingredients, the second one I doubt if I would try as I am not a tofu fan! I do though quite like this recipe that my neighbour gave me though I am sure it is not as tasty as your first recipe :-) http://lifeincharente.blogspot.fr/2010/05/chocolate-dessert-cream-part-65.html
    Have a good Sunday Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both!! The tofu imposter for everyday sort of meals and the real thing occasionally! I've done the silky tofu version and it isn't bad at all, but the real thing, what can I say, it's the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much prefer the "humdinger" version. I love savoring the real thing, even if I eat it in a smaller portion, and less often.

    Always quality, not quantity.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That does look silky and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely the decadent version...but not frequently and just a wee bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd go with silky tofu and try to re educate my taste buds...provided I stay far away from the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just beautiful Mary I love the decadent version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post; an interesting concept... actually, I would call the tofu version "quality" because of its superior health benefits, but then I've never tried the original version because I don't eat eggs. I tried out a version of chocolate pudding made with avocado and agave nectar a few weeks ago (I wrote a post on it)
    , which was nice and rich- something you'd miss with the tofu version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say quantity every time, full fat treats, all the way x

    ReplyDelete
  12. for desserts, i would preferably go for something rich and real but we really cant take that everyday so a lighter version will definately comes in ! your tofu choc pudding is really smoooooth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My taste buds would say..."The Real Deal".....however, this is the exact reason that I'm a bit over weight!!
    Guess I'd have to go with the tofu, which would be better for me!
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think, Mary, that I would have to go for the real deal. I'd like to try the tofu version and maybe I'd like it. However, the real one would be worth it every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I almost always go with the richer and original versions. I serve the richer version in smaller portions, but I'm willing to sacrifice quantity for quality. I've always been perplexed that desserts are worked into diet regimes. It seems like a contradiction to me and I'd rather do without. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is quite the question. I am undecided. Both! Haha, that's usually how I decide.
    Either way, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would LOVE to try the tofu chocolate pudding. In fact...I think I will because curiosity will get the better of me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well now that's a tough question. Being on a healthy eating plan I think I would maybe stick to the super charged version for a treat when I really need my chocolate itch scratched ... but then that's a lot of fat, sugar and kcals in one go ... oh bother, I'm going to have to get back to you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Question!!! I say go with the full fat version....I do use tofu once in a while, but I think all the health hype over soy is incorrect.... Soy, too, must be eaten in moderation. Hey, if you can't enjoy a great bowl of real pudding once in a while, something's wrong in this world, am I right!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to check your posts again - after a wonderful break in Turkey;)- may I please have the real thing?:) we all need treats, happy with a smaller amount! thanks for the delicious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually, both versions look lovely and I would be very curious to know how the silken tofu version tastes like, I am sure that I would like it, you made it look very tempting. So, for today, I would choose the skinnier version and then decide.

    Thank you also for visiting my blog and your lovely comment! I am looking forward to visiting your blog on a regular basis, it is a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really do believe in "moderation in all things" -- except I'm feeling just a little bit pudgier these days, and the holidays are coming, and, well, maybe I'll try the tofu version!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's easy---I'd take the good stuff and just limit how much I eat (as if that were possible!) Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I actually really like the tofu versions! There's a French chick that makes verrines for a restaurant across the street and while I'm partial to her beet and goat cheese one, she does a MEAN chocolate and vanilla pudding...all made with silk tofu. Me likey :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that my fav would be the classic, I don't even like tofu. lol.. Thank you for your sweet visit.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  26. Once in a while treat for sure! The tofu stuff just doesn't do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Totally droolworthy, creamy, choclaty and amazingly yummy! Love your chocolate pudding recipe, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would pick the real thing. I have never tried tofu, so I am not sure if I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. AMAZING! What I would give to have the decadent version for dessert.

    Side note: I have had a terrible time connecting to your website. When I click on the link you leave on my comments, I get sent directly to the Mega site of bible studies website. The http is your regular address... you may want to check it out. I've been getting sent to that site for over a month! I wonder if anyone else is having a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The second one isn't tempting me at make it at all. However, if you offered me it to try, I would definitely like to taste it!

    The first one is my kind of cooking though. I love the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  31. As fabulous as your healthy re-do may look, I'd rather pimp for the once in a while original treat! haha at Tracey's answer, lol. What a sweet gal! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I guess I like a balance of both. Sometimes the rich dessert truly satisfies while the skinny version will keep you on track in the meantime. I like both :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Mary. These look amazing. I think I would have to try both to make a truly informed decision.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Un postre irresistible muy bien elaborado me encanta,saludos y abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great question. I would probably go for the really good pudding occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tough decision! They both look equally chocolatey, creamy and delicious! I've been seeing so many tofu desserts lately - I'm inclined to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  37. easy peasy question- simply THE DECADENT RICH SINFUL PUDDING. My motto- if I am going to have a favorite dessert it better be all or nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just give me a tiny taste of something really yummy like your pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hmmm I think for me it depends on my mood. If I'm having a party or at a party or am eating with friends, I'd rather have the more decadent version but if I'm sitting at home alone on a weeknight, the skinny version is probably a better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm definitely curious about the second!

    ReplyDelete
  41. If the lighter/healthier one tastes good, I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!