Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ina Garten's Bountiful Tomato, Feta, Basil Bruschetta



Hand on heart, this is what I've been eating all summer.  Tomatoes and basil from the garden, combined with the best bruschetta recipe on earth.  Ina Garten of course, is a culinary genius and this I believe is one of her best EVER recipes. Really. Try it. PLEASE! You will not be disappointed.  I've been serving it to anyone who knocks on the front door and everyone loves it.  The secret to the extra explosion of flavor is the red onion and red wine vinegar.  I'm not a raw onion sort of a girl but diced very finely, it's perfection.





If you want to cut down on the fat content you can very easily cut out the cream cheese and just use the feta cheese.  If you wanted to wander down the vegan path, just cut out all the cheese together, it's still delicious. 

Tomato Bruschetta.   Recipe adapted from Ina Garten.

1 multi grain baguette, sliced and toasted
6 oz of feta cheese
A couple of sprigs of fresh thyme
2 oz cream cheese (optional)
Salt and black pepper
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
1/4 of a small red onion (more if you love onion!)
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
A couple of gloriously ripe tomatoes
Fresh basil

Dice the red onion very finely and combine with the red wine vinegar. 

Toast the pine nuts and set aside.

Combine the feta cheese, cream cheese, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor and blitz until you have a smooth consistency.

Dice the tomatoes.

Spread the feta cheese mixture on the toasts, top with the diced tomato, spoon over some onion and vinegar mixture and sprinkle over some pine nuts and fresh basil.

You won't need anything else, except perhaps a glass of pinot :)

33 comments:

  1. YUM! We had bruschetta for dinner tonight! I simple dice tomatoes and quickly warm them in olive oil with lots garlic. After about five minutes I add fresh basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Serve on garlic toast.... I will certainly try Ina's version, it's one of my all time favorite things to eat.... always disappoints at a restaurant, but is heavenly at home, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brushettas Mary and love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina never disappoints! I have several of her cookbooks and have also tried this recipe. It is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm going to make this! We are in the midst of summer tomatoes and I just love Ina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't eat raw onion, but I find that if I dice it very finely, as you mentioned, and rinse it well, I can. This looks fabulous! (What happened to your beautiful logo? I'm just seeing an exclamation point in the header area.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh... I haven't had bruschetta in years... Now that I CAN, I'm going to track down some real-no-kidding fresh tomatoes and make this! Thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a perfect appetizer or even as a midday snack. I love the combination of tomatoes, basil and feta. The tomatoes around here are starting to look bad. I had a hard time finding some that looked good today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Ina is culinary genius too! This looks like a perfect combination and I like the addition of the pine nuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did Ina proud, Mary! These look marvelous...and I could live off them, too!!! I've never used feta on my bruschetta, but if I can get some decent tomatoes, I will make these winners, soon! Hope you're having a lovely, long weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe you - this looks delicious! And, I love cream cheese, but never thought of using it like this. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look lovely, Mary! I'm sure the different flavours are perfect together.
    I wanted to mention that I made your summer pasta with pasta and pine nuts and it was really delicious! I'm doing it again today as I still have all the ingredients on hand!
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bruschetta, yours looks delicious, much better than Gino's x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to have these for lunch. I've already decided that I'm doing bruschetta for a meal that I have to prepare for an upcoming family trip. I have to make enough food for 17-18 people! This would be an easy appetizer, beautiful, and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks wonderful. I love the color combination and the great flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photo! I love bruschetta topped with all sorts of wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, Mary - if I were your neighbor, I'd be knocking on your door every day, more than once! This looks wonderful and I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make it no secret that I'm a huge fan of Ina Garten. I'm a bruschetta lover, so this version is a new twist that's definitely worth a try. I'll have mine with a glass of chilled wine, please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yummy this looks so tasty - lovely and fresh looking.
    I have seen Ina on the telly and am always impressed with what she does :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Que tal el veranito?
    Yo me acabo de incorporar!
    Bien buena la receta que nos traes :D
    Un besito ^^
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm never tried a bruschetta with pine nuts before, but it sounds like a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is definitely a step up from the basic bruschetta I make. I love all the additions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious! Last year in Sicily we headed to a little cafe overlooking the sea and enjoyed bruschetta every lunchtime. This has made me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's all here I'm making it just for me for lunch. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is exactly how I love to eat as well! I love all the cheeses, tomatoes and basil piled up on top of the multi grain slices of baguette-just perfect;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im not a raw onion girl either but roast or grill or even saute them and you can; get them away from me! Love this bruschetta and the pine nuts on top!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just beautiful . . . I believe you've been eating these all summer. How could you not! I'm a big Ina fan, too. I've never made anything that wasn't great. This included.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary, These look so marvelous…I love bruschetta! You are so right, Ina is a genius…love the little pine nuts poking out!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, these look awesome and great for light lunch. Thanks for the simple recipe.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This recipe looks stunning :) Happy to follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!