Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lunch from the Garden. Tomato Basil Panzanella Salad


I'm going to miss these beauties in the middle of January.  These tomatoes are so sweet and succulent, plucked from the garden.  They're an instant, delicious lunch.  I had some leftover baguette, which could be toasted, then cut into chunks, but I was too lazy (or hungry) to toast them and my salad was still fabulous. Throw in a handful of fresh basil, some olives and a couple of chunks of goats cheese, toss with a red wine vinegar and voila! the perfect lunch.




Dressing;
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
4-6 tablespoons olive oil

For the Salad;
1/2 multi grain baguette diced, toasted (optional)
4-6 tomatoes, sliced in quarters
A handful of fresh basil
A scattering of black olives
4 oz goats cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon of very finely diced red onion (optional)

Toast the baguette and chop into a dice. Very finely dice the red onion, if using.



To make the dressing mix together the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, add the olive oil one tablespoon at a time and whisk until thoroughly combined.

Place all the salad ingredients into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Toss together.  That's it!  Enjoy lunch.

25 comments:

  1. Those tomatoes look perfect! Vine ripened are THE best!! I agree about missing them come January! Those 'wooden' ones from the grocery just are NOT the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, your tomatoes from your garden are gorgeous...I just love panzanella salad, and what better way to add more goodness, but from your very own garden. Yumm...delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks perfect. I love everything about it. I think everyone that has a garden will be missing the fresh tomatoes come this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love fresh tomatoes! Always makes a meal stand out.
    We are way past the tomato growing season. I still have plants, but just no blooms. Too hot!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When tomatoes are fresh, it takes very little to make them taste perfect.

    This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tomatoes are beautiful, I'm jealous...I wish I had some in my garden. I just made a grilled veggie version of this salad not long ago, I love this salad, and your's looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss fresh tomatoes in the winter too! Home-grown ones are especially enticing and I love the tomato smell they leave on your hands after picking!
    Your salad looks delicious and is a great quick meal to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful, Mary! The perfect thing to do with all our ripe, lovely tomatoes!

    Thanks for all you share, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. stright from the garden are the best!I will miss them in January too!

    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I was planning on making this for dinner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous bowl of tomatoes! And what a great idea to use them in that delicious Panzanella salad, nothing better than fresh tomatoes from the garden. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect way to enjoy home grown tomatoes. Now if mine will ever ripen....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I had tired of salad until I looked at your photos. The salad looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely tomatoes ;D
    Un besito ^^
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm crazy for panazella and I love how there's a zillion variations - yours looks fantastic Mary! And I'm with you, in January we will give our eye tooth for even one of these lovely tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love panzanella, what a wonderful lunch x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definitely up my alley. Mike's too. I should make this for us to have for lunches this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm admiring that bowl of tomatoes!! that's a wonderful salad with tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum:) These tomatoes looks amazing!!!
    I would like to try this recipe soon.
    The way I make tomato salad is Tomato, cucumber, sweet onion and greens. For dressing mayo or sunflower oil. This is a Russian traditional salad:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. BEAUTIFUL tomatoes and a LOVELY recipe too Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, such great tomatoes from your own garden! I love panazanella salad mysel. I just became your newest follower, hope you like to follow back. I love your food recipe choises! I love your lamb stew.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  22. You and I both are going to miss summer tomatoes. They are THE best. Tomatoes may be one of the main reasons summer is my favorite season of the year.

    Love your panzanella salad.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. GREAT photos of those tomatoes. Love the little orange ones. Might as well be candy. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!