Thursday, September 27, 2012

Welcome Home Chocolate Cake!


My husband had been away for a week so to welcome him home I thought a chocolate cake was in order - the girls agreed.  Half of it was eaten by the time he walked through the door but after all it's the thought that counts.  I adapted a recipe by the Pioneer Woman.  I must say I now realize that in my old age I've become a bit of a baking purist.  It is so ingrained in me to cream the butter and the sugar, not over mix the flour etc, etc, I had to force myself to follow her recipe of melting the butter and adding boiling water and beating everything up together.  It had a different taste but it was a hit - I can tell you this because it didn't last more than 24 hours.  It looked like an enormous whoopie pie - what could be more welcoming than that?

Chocolate Cream Cake,  adapted from Ree Rummond, The Pioneer Woman.

Ree's cake is actually a coffee cream cake, that's the first thing I changed, unadulterated chocolate was needed here.  I've fiddled around quite a bit with the ingredients but the method is purely Ree's.


For the cake. 

8 oz butter (2 sticks)
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the filling.

4 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 -3/4 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Glaze

4 oz chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon of corn syrup

Heat the oven to 350F

Melt the butter in a pan, add the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly.

Add the boiling water.  Let it simmer for a minute and then remove from heat.

Place the flour, sugar and salt in to a large bowl.  Add the butter mixture and combine.

Measure the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla into a measuring cup and add to the other bowl.  Mix thoroughly.

Pour into a 2, 8 inch greased and floured cake pans.

Place into the oven and bake for approx 18-20 minutes.

While the cake is baking, make the

Filling;

Place the cream cheese, sugar, cream and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat until creamy and fluffy.  Place in the fridge until ready to use.

To make the

Glaze;

Melt the chocolate, cream and syrup together in a small pan on low/medium heat.  Stir thoroughly until the chocolate is melted and you have a smooth glaze.  Remove from heat. 

When the cakes are cooked and thoroughly cooled, fill with the creamy filling and pour the glaze on top. 

Don't even try to restrain yourself, just brew a pot of tea and enjoy a piece.

46 comments:

  1. This cake looks and sounds absolutely decadent! What a great addition of that cream cheese filling in the middle. And I love that you said it's like an enormous whoopie pie. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will treat my lot to this at the weekend. Is 'all purpose' flour, what we over here refer to as plain flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a reason to make this cake as soon as possible! I've never used corn syrup before, but I'm definitely gonna try this recipe until the end of the month!

    Maria

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious cake. Love the layer in the middle, a nice combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Mary absolutely tempting! OMY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so delicious, Mary...looks delicious, too! Don't you love it when your efforts are enjoyed--and devoured?!

    Wishing you the loveliest day, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a totally delicious cake - perfect with a cuppa

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake sounds amazingly rich and delicious! I'm making a chocolate cake for tomorrow night too. It must just be that time of year. Have a blessed weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd enjoy a very big piece of that cake! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so tasty that I wonder if I dare make it!! The best part, for me, is the fact that the lovely glaze doesn't have confectioner's sugar. Hmmm, and I do have some buttermilk leftover from my friend green tomatoes.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always keen to try new chocolate cake recipes and I've noted your lovely version. The soup from your last post also looks deliciously warming. I'm so pleased that I stumbled across your blog and I'm delighted to be your new follower!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like one yummy cake, and so soft and moist too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chocolate cake, I bet your hubbie and your girls were very happy with this bake x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, the filling is just staring at me. :) I'd love to have a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the cream in the middle makes this cake look absolutely Delicious. Who doesn't just love chocolate cake? I know some kiddos around her that could devour that thing within minutes..
    Throw in a glass of COLD milk and this could easily be dinner for me!!
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  16. THAT looks delicious! Enormous whoppie pie? Why not?!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your description of "an enormous Whoopie Pie", no doubt it was a huge hit with everyone:@)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks absolutely wonderful. I'm partial to chocolate cake as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cake looks incredibly amazing!! I would devour the whole thing... and the cream in the middle looks so decadent... I NEED to make this cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to have a piece of that cake! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your chocolate cake is amazing, especially with the cream filling. I love your cake, and I ahve to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear ya about being a baking 'purist'...after baking & decorating countless cakes (I used to teach cake dec), I find it disconcerting sometimes to give in to unusual techniques and ingredients! Your cake looks delicious and welcoming-- perfect with a big hot cuppa! :)
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks delish! And that photo must be 'pinned' to my pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cake looks really lovely. I smiled when you mentioned creaming the butter and sugar together. The first time I looked through Rose Levy Beranbaum's, "The Cake Bible", I had similar a thought. Some of Beranbaum's methods are unorthodox, yet they produce really good cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! This cake would definitely be a winner with my kids as well. All that glaze over the chocolaty cake looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not surprised it didn't last long - it looks sooooooo tasty. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. An enormous whoopie pie - funny - but it does sort of look like one! I bet it was tasty. My husband would travel all the time if I made something like that each time he came home :) Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Luce absolutamente tentador me gustarĂ­a tener un trozo,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chocolate cake is a nice welcome home treat. I usually can't bake to save my life, and have found following Smitten Kitchen's baking recipes, have helped my game. I think she bakes so simply that I think "Hmmm, I can do that too"

    Happy Fall to you!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am speechless and suddenly I feel really hungry!What a amazing cake,dear Mary!I have been absent from my blog due to lack of time!Unfortunately I will have no spare time this year...But I will try at least to visit your blog and admire all the great things you cook!
    God bless you,my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, what a welcome home for your hubby, even if it was cut into!! I sure would love a slice of it with a cup of tea. XO

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is a really interesting recipe. Though I don't often admit it, I'm a fan of whoopie pies and I probably would scarf this cake-like version down. I also love your recipes, Mary. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fabulous 'welcome home' treat. Never turned down any chocolate treat yet...especially an amazing 'to die for' chocolate cake, as yours!
    I have a fork ready...just please pass that lovely peace of cake:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. The last photo - swoon!!! What a delicious and tempting cake, Mary! I love it! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a rich and decadent cake! It would disappear fast in my house too! A great welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I just found my dessert for this weekend!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  37. THis looks like one big giant hostess cupcake. Wow I need to make this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!