Thursday, October 25, 2012

Back in the USA with Chicken and Mushrooms



England was wonderful as always, but it's nice to be back.  I've learned a new skill which I'm having tremendous fun with.  I'm chopping up my own chickens.  Well, not really my own as in running around the garden, I mean the ones wrapped up in plastic in the supermarket.  I decided it was time I learned how to carve it up into 10 perfect (well almost) pieces.  I found a you tube video and hey presto I've already cut up two this morning.  It's such fun. It's strange that as a former vegan I'm seriously contemplating a career in butchery. Anyway, the question is, what do I do with all these perfectly them and adding a lip smacking mushroom gravy.  Turns out, it was a great place to start.





Roasted Chicken marinated in White Wine, Rosemary and Garlic with a Luscious Mushroom Gravy.

1 large chicken, cut up into 10 pieces
1 onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper
2 cups of white wine
2 bay leaves
Juice and zest of a lemon

For the mushrooms.

1 tablespoon of butter
1 splash of olive oil
1 packet of baby bella mushrooms (or your favorite)
A handful of finely chopped parsley
A splash or two of white wine
Salt and pepper

For the gravy.

1 cup or so of chicken broth
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of flour

In a large zip lock bag place the chicken and all the marinade ingredients.  Place in the fridge and leave for 12- 24 hours.

Heat the oven to 350 F

Put the chicken and the marinade ingredients into a roasting pan and place in the oven.  Roast for approx 45 minutes to an hour.  Baste frequently to enhance the wonderful golden color. 

When the chicken is thoroughly cooked and golden, remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil.

Place the roasting pan on a burner to make the gravy.  Depending on how much liquid is in the pan, add the wine and chicken broth.  Bring to the boil and stir. 

Mix the tablespoon of butter with the flour and stir into a paste.  Add one tablespoon of the gravy to the flour paste and mix.  Add this to the gravy and stir continually until you have smooth rich gravy.  Add more chicken stock if it looks too thick.  Reduce the heat to a very low simmer.

Meanwhile cook the mushrooms.  Quarter the mushrooms.  Heat the butter and oil in a saute pan, add the mushrooms and cook on a medium heat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

When the mushrooms start to yield their juices add a splash of white wine and the herbs.  Cook for a further 5 minutes or so until cooked through but holding their shape.

Scatter the mushrooms over the chicken, pour over some of the gravy, reserving the rest and placing it in gravy boat.  Sprinkle the chicken with some fresh parsley or rosemary, lemon wedges and serve.

38 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect family meal - delicious and comforting!! Your pictures make it look so appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see you back, Mary and with a delicious chicken recipe!
    How brave, especially as a former vegan to be chopping up your own whole chicken now! I don't even like going into a butcher's shop because of the sight and the smell in there... I am a 'partial vegetarian'! Though I usually eat white meat and fish once a week!
    I am glad that England was wonderful for you! I heard on the news this morning that Britain was officially out of the recession... let's hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done the culinary world a true mitzvah by coming out as a chicken chopper. I've preached about it for years. You should be receiving multiple congratulations from your readers. Brava!!!! (Oh, and the roasted chicken looks marvelous.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious! Bravo on the carving! I learned by watching my Mother. She was a pro at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first time in culinary school, which lasted a few weeks, I think carving 8 perfect pieces out of a whole chicken was our first lesson. It´s awesome Mary! The pics are wonderful and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken looks amazing! I love being able to carve a chicken. I remember try to look at a cookbook when the husband and I were married 13 years ago before youtube trying to figure it out with a little sketch to go by! By the way welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice you comeback Mary this chicken look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, Mary! The chicken looks--and sounds--fabulous! That's definitely a skill I'm going to have to learn...

    So glad you had a wonderful time in England, and glad you're back home safely.

    Wishing you a beautiful day!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a very delicious "welcome back" chicken dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary, welcome home! I think I'll go to you now for all my chicken carving...plus my mouth is watering over the chicken dish. Just pinned it on Pinterest! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep promising myself that I'm going to learn to cut up a chicken....When I was little, I would stand there at the kitchen counter and watch my mom cut those things up with no trouble at all....I think she was a pro at it!

    Glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no choice but to cut up our chickens, we raised our own! Your chicken looks wonderful, wow, that is something, a one time vegan learning to be a butcher, wow, thats one for the books!!!!!Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's one gorgeous chicken dish! I remember watching my mom cut up chickens. (We raised our own.) She could do it so fast! I had to do the feather plucking and to this day I still hate touching raw chicken. I buy mine already cut up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. With so many people going vegan these days, it's interesting to read that you've done the opposite! ha. This chicken looks so wonderful! My hubs loves mushrooms, too, and I know he would love this! I've marked the recipe to give it a go! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chicken looks perfect. The pictures are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. good mixture of ingredients!
    in our home my husband do all the dirty works:)
    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful recipe - love the photos. Welcome back - glad you got home safe and sound. Have a lovely weekend - I am going to be dreaming about this chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good to know you're home again after a wonderful trip. The chicken dish sounds great, Mary! I love that it marinates in the fridge for hours. Anything with mushrooms is a dish I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. D R O O L I N G
    in Minnesota.

    I Want!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This chicken looks so delicious and your photo is beautiful. I agree it's quite the accomplishment the first time you cut up a whole chicken. It makes you feel so handy. GReat job and nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love almost anything with rosemary. A precious-vegetarian butcher?! Hilarious! I don't know how you do it - I can't stand to touch those slimy things :) I would not have been a good peasant centuries ago and killing our own food - we would have been vegetarian for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, nice to see that you are back from your trip to England - safe and sound! Your Chicken with the Mushroom Gravy looks so moist and delicious, I am sure that this recipe would be very well received in my house too! The kids adore these kinds of wonderful flavors! And so do I - terrific recipe and a very pretty presentation too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic chicken dish!! Since hubby won't eat mushrooms, I get the bonus of double the goodness! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic chicken dish!!! Since hubby refuses to eat mushrooms, I get the extra bonus of his share :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The one and only time I tried to cut a chicken into pieces we ended up with four very odd shaped bits and a lot of mess. I should try again, but that rather put me off!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks absolutely delicious. And from the ingredients, it really must be!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back! The chicken looks so inviting and delicious! Great that you have cut up your own chicken, that makes it so complete!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The chicken looks delicious and the mushrooms mouth watering. I have only cut the backbone out of a chicken. I would love to try cutting up a whole one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You go, girl! And your chicken recipe looks outstanding! Mmmmm...mushrooms....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Welcome back!! I love that you are taking on a new thing. I think it's good to just get in there and do it when it comes to things in the kitchen. And carving up chickens is a great skill to have. You'll save money too!
    I love this recipe.. So many wonderful flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this looks amazing...but i am confused. are the 2 cups of wine part of the marinade and additional wine and chicken broth for the gravy? would love to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this looks very tempting and the sauce sounds really good. I'm saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh so glad you are back and what a great dish to come back with! It looks comforting and homefelt.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome home Mary, I know you had a wonderful visit but is always so good to come back home. This chicken looks amazing! Like a fancy restaurant, I know my family would love it and I just bought a bunch of chicken breasts on sale ......hmmmm........

    ReplyDelete
  35. sto facendo un giro nel web per conoscere blog di cucina di altri paesi. il tuo mi piace molto... ti seguo. da coccopasticcione.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mary, I totally missed your gorgeous chicken and mushroom...my kind of dish!
    So craving this, and will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing your amazing recipe, and beautiful photos:) xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!