Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mushroom Bruschetta



One of the things I love about bruschetta is that it starts out as a nibble and ends up as a meal.  Here's a Fall take on a summer favorite.  I made these the other day, to nibble on, then had a glass of red, then another bruschetta and all of a sudden we were having a scrumptious dinner. I tried two different approaches, to begin with I just rubbed the toasts with garlic. That was lovely but it needed a little extra interest, so I mixed some ricotta cheese with black pepper, a little Parmesan and a dash of balsamic vinegar, spread the ricotta mixture on the toasts then piled up the mushrooms and other goodies on top.  It added an extra dimension I would encourage you to try. Sadly I don't think I managed to get a picture of the ones with ricotta, they barely made it to the plate. I find a multi grain baguette stands up well to the strong flavors but the choice is yours.



For the mushrooms;

1 packet of mushrooms, I love cremini but really any would do.
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon or so of unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
2 fat cloves of garlic, one minced and one cut in half for rubbing the toasts
A splash of white wine
Lots of fresh parsley

For the cheese spread topping;

4 oz of fresh full fat ricotta cheese
Black pepper
1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
A drizzle of balsamic vinegar

The final goodies;

A couple of tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
Parmasan shavings
Fresh parsley or arugla
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Multi grain baguette
In a saute pan heat the olive oil and butter.  Clean and slice the mushrooms and add to the pan. 

Add the minced garlic and saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms render their juices.

Add a splash of wine and turn up the heat, add the chopped parsley, salt and pepper.

Cook to your liking (mine would be pretty much done at this point) and remove from heat.

Meanwhile toast the pine nuts and set aside.

Mix the ricotta cheese with the parmesan, black pepper and balsamic vinegar.

Toast the bread.

Mix together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Either spread the ricotta mixture on the toasts or rub with the garlic, top with the mushrooms, pine nuts, parley or arugla and drizzle a teaspoon of the olive oil/balsamic mixture over the top. A sprinkle of sea salt wouln't hurt.

Pour a glass of red and settle in.


32 comments:

  1. Sometimes starters are so delicious you don't want to move on to the main course, do you? :P

    The photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look so tempting. Love that you've used white wine in the mushrooms, you've opened up some red to go with the bruschetta. My kind of a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we could make a meal of this--it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love mushroom this look fantastic Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really yummy and a quick and easy meal. Very seasonal too. We made sundried tomatoes in our dehydrator and I think they would be great in this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfectly delicious to me! A glass of red and a lovely bruschetta and I'd be done. I'm such a cheap date :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful. I am definitely adding this to my recipe book! And the suggestions above that it should be accompanied by a glass of red, make it even more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't those pics gorgeous of that delicious appetizer/ meal? These would be great as a starter, but I can see how, with the ricotta, it's a meal in the making. Yummy, Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious, earthy twist on bruschetta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious, earthy twist on bruschetta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, Mary! It's also so seasonal... I'm going to try it this weekend when I have company!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that you use full fat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! Lovely! I also like when a 'bite or two of bruschetta turns into an entire meal.'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary....This one made my eyes pop! Love mushrooms and to add cheese to a mushroom just makes em' get better and better...
    YUMMMM..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, they look gorgeous, and certainly one for the autumn...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks simply delicious - it's breakfast time here and all i can think about now is mushrooms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm...sauteed mushrooms on little toasted rounds of that wheat bread...all melty with cheese. It sounds so delicious. We did the same idea last weekend. I had this new cheese I picked up and some fresh figs...we made little bruschettas and had it with a salad. I need to do this more often. The variations are limitless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooo, they look and sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, these look so wonderful - my kids adore bruschetta and your recipe suggestions will certainly make their way into my kitchen. I love mushrooms (cremini mushrooms really are the very best) and cheese (I always make my own ricotta) and a hearty baguette - sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can imagine how delicious these tasted. I would find it hard to stop at one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so delicious and perfect for a fall evening with a bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A classic mushromm's bruschetta but I love my classic's!! Your pictures are truly mouthwatering & lovely too!

    MMMMM! Many greets from a foodie from Belgiuml!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds yummy. I love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YUMYUMYUM! These bruschetta look wonderful I'm not surprised that they flew off the plate. Love your combination of ingredients! They seem to work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. delicious!!!i guess it just works well in sandwiches for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!