Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Nice Bit of Meat! Pan Seared Strip Steak.


"How?' you ask. "How could you possibly eat an entire steak the day after Thanksgiving?" As wonderful as a roast turkey is, it doesn't compare with a juicy, grass fed, organic, unbelievably succulent steak.  YUM.  I can't claim this is a recipe but the simplicity is the beauty of it. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the meat, give it a quick sear, add some sauteed spinach and you have a meal that will make your taste buds sing.  Plus - there's no carbs - you know where I'm going with this!


I should have got a picture of the steak when sliced, but the vultures were circling, ready to devour every morsel.  I like my steak pretty rare, I cooked it 4 minutes each side and let it rest for 5 minutes under aluminum foil.  My squeamish children like it well cooked, can you believe 6-8 minutes per side and then covered and left to rest. The secret is a REALLY hot pan.

New York Strip Steaks, the best quality you feel comfortable paying for.
Olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Maldon Sea Salt

Heat a grill pan or large saute pan until it's really hot.

Cut the excess fat off the steaks.

Smother them in olive oil, sprinkle very liberally with salt and pepper.

When the pan is almost smoking, lay the steaks down, don't crowd them otherwise they will steam and not sear - definitely not what we're after here.

Don't move them for 4 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 4 minutes.  You may need to turn down the heat for fear of setting fire to the kitchen.  

Depending on the thickness of your steaks and how rare you like them, remove to a platter and cover with foil.  Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.  Sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired.


20 comments:

  1. Great tip! Should ask my husband to read your post so that he can cook these for us :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I've married the wrong person. Here's someone who is not only British and a Mum (that is the word), she knows how to cook a steak as well as a guy. (Okay, everyone who is offended by that read this: IT'S A JOKE.) I can tell just by looking at it that that steak is done just the way I would like it. It doesn't "moo" when you cut into it, it just moans a little bit. And I'm not even hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I love your opening line! It had me laughing. We opted out of turkey, as were not huge fans, so yes, steak sounds great to me. My daughter was behind me as I was reading your post and she said, "Mom can you please cook up a steak this week, that looks delicious." Steak is one of her favorite things, so I think I might have to veer off my planned weekly menu and cook us up some steak.
    Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom makes the best steak - just like this! We like them rare too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nothing as good as a simple steak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious. I usually broil my steaks, but I think this method would be better. I like my steak rare too, but the rest of my family like them well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, this sounds wonderful after turkey and all the other rich TG foods! There's not much that's better than this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we had steak on Firday night - juicy and rare. Just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks so delicious! No wonder the vultures are lurking round it! ^~^

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is what I eat all the time, somewhat rare too! Cooking a good steak is an art Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my mouth is watering- more like drooling! I mean it looks amazing; Where is my knife and fork? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious, I might just pick some up from the supermarket for dinner. Thanks Mary : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esta receta me encantó se ve muy deliciosa,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is one nice looking piece of meat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There really is nothing better than a nice piece of beef, lightly seasoned and cooked to perfection... Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect I think. This would be my choice for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore a thick juicy steak. I love beef, but tend not to cook it that often. When I do cook it I like it just like yours. Salt, pepper and medium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious steak - your pictures make my mouth water! We rarely eat steak but we all adore it, it is always a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like an amazing piece of steak! Now you have me craving some. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!