Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Full Power and Butternut Squash Soup

Here we are! Fully powered up and I'm ready to switch on that oven. It's a wonderful feeling when everything works.  The novelty of flicking on and off the light switches hasn't yet worn off.  The news of the impending Nor'easter bearing down on us and warnings of further power outages did make my stiff upper lip momentarily wobble but I've decided I'm just going to ignore this one.  We made it through Sandy and I've absolutely HAD IT with any more weather issues.  I'm going to keep calm and carry on cooking and just try not to look out of the window.

With all the excitement of the last week I'm fully into comfort cooking.  What screams comfort more than butternut squash soup.  My lovely mother in law who is staying with us as she still doesn't have power, told me this was the best soup she'd ever had - I'm going to believe her!


The lovely thing about this soup is that it's exceptionally easy, you roast the ingredients, warm up some chicken broth and blitz everything together.  Delicious, healthy and pure comfort.

Butternut Squash Soup.

1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
2 apples, peeled and cored
olive oil
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
salt and pepper
a handful of chopped sage

32 oz of organic chicken stock
a tablespoon of heavy cream (optional)

Heat the oven to 425F

Peel and chop the squash and onions.  Peel and core the apples.  Place onto a baking tray.

Add the olive oil, sprinkle over the salt and pepper, cinnamon and chopped sage.  Mix together thoroughly.

Place in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes until the vegetables are really tender.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.

Warm the stock in a large saucepan, add the vegetables and apples, remove to a blender and blend until smooth.  Return to the saucepan, add the cream if using.  Check the seasonings and serve.




26 comments:

  1. I;m so glad to hear your power has been returned, I hope the storms stay away, this is one of my favorite soups but I have never added cinnamon , I will next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butternut is a soul comforting food...Soup is soul comforting food too.

    Glad life is returning to normal.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary, that looks like pure comfort in a bowl! I love the drizzle of cream on top. I'm happy to hear you have power and that you're keeping your dear MIL safe and warm. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look delicious and Im happy you have power again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right, that's it, you've convinced me. I'm going to give squash another try, and make this soup this week!! I'm so glad you guys are okay. We should make signs: "Keep Calm and Carry On Cooking". Stay warm!! I'll be thinking of you
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you have full power again! I hope this next storm passes you by with no ill results. This soup does look like the perfect comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice photo. It really shouts "Eat Me!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a relief that power is back on!
    That is one lovely bowl of soup. Just what you need for something comforting! Hope everything gets back in order real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A local Bistro makes a delicious Butternut Squash Soup. It's my friends favorite soup to get when we go there. I think I will make a pot and share it with her. This looks yummy.
    Good luck on the upcoming storm. Snow is in our forecast this weekend. Winter is coming--time for plenty off soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you have your power back on at last. I love the look of this soup; I shall make a veggie version minuis the chicken stock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful soup Mary, I like that it has apple in it! It´s great to know you have power again and things are back to normal. Let´s hope your MIL gets hers back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love butternut soup, my recipe is similar but instead of sage I also add the zest and juice of an orange it gives a nice twang to it :-) Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you guys have your power back and life is getting back to "normal"! And what a great way to celebrate.. LOVE butternut squash soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy this soup something about it that's quite comforting. Glad that you and your family are well and your power's back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear that all is well with you again, Mary.
    That lovely soup looks like just the thing for the season. I like the sound of the apples in the recipe. What a pretty green and white patterned bowl with orange edging!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That soup looks absolutely wonderful...heart and tummy warming! :)

    I do hope you are safe in the current storm and that your power stays on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary! I'm so glad that your power is back on. What a relief! I'm also glad to see that you're up and cooking again. Soup really is the perfect comfort food. It brought a smile to my face to hear your mother-in-law's comment about your soup. It should make you feel proud!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy that you've gotten full power back. Now, I hope you're warm from the snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can almost feel its velvety texture on my tongue. Creamy vegetable soups are a fall staple. Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just happen to have a butternut squash on hand along with all he other ingredients. This would make a fabulous appetizer soup also!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It seems perfectly logical to me that the first thing one would do after having the power restored is make soup - and this is a perfectly lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have four butternut squash sitting on my counter right now…Such a perfect way to use them! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm making this tonight. It will be perfect for that little squash sitting in my pantry. (And for my sore throat.) Glad you've returned to full power Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely soup Mary, I just love soups like this loaded with veggies and yet so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!