Friday, November 9, 2012

Pan Seared Salmon with Israeli Couscous Salad


So much for seasonal eating! I realize this sounds a bit like a summer dish and yes, there is snow on the ground but as you can see from the picture, the sun has come out to play! and after living on carbs pretty much non stop during the recent hurricane, I felt a craving for pure protein.  Salmon is almost always the answer to such a craving. I pan seared it, finished it off in the oven and served it on a bed of wholewheat Israeli Couscous (which the girls love) tossed in a rice vinegar dressing.  I added a few sauteed veggies that needed using up in the fridge, an onion, some celery, a box of baby spinach and a couple of mushrooms.  It did the trick, almost everyone loved it, except the one who won't eat fish but that was no surprise and I'm afraid to say her loss, my gain as it made a very nice lunch the next day.

Pan Seared Salmon with Israeli Couscous.

Salmon fillets
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 lemon

2 cups of wholewheat Israeli couscous
olive oil
4 cups of water
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
3-4 sticks of celery
a handful of mushrooms (any will do, I used cremini)
1 box of baby spinach
salt and pepper

For the dressing;

1 heaped teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
salt and pepper
4-6 tablespoons of olive oil

Heat the oven to 375 F

In a saute pan heat the olive oil and add the couscous. Toast it in the pan for about 2-3 minutes.  Add the water, cover and cook for about 4-6 minutes.  Start checking after 4 minutes and don't let it overcook.

Rub the salmon fillets with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.

Heat a dry non stick pan on the stove and when hot add the fillets, top side down.  Cook for 4 minutes to brown and crisp the top.  Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes.  If they are not already fully cooked, remove them to an ovenproof dish and place in the oven for another few minutes until thoroughly cooked through.

Wipe out the pan and heat some more olive oil.  Add the finely chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes, add the garlic and celery and cook for a further 2 minutes or so.  Add the mushroom and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

When the couscous is cooked, strain it and pour into a large bowl.  Add the cooked vegetables and the box of baby spinach.  Stir to combine. The spinach will wilt in the heat of the couscous.

Make the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid.  Shake it well, check the seasonings and pour over the couscous.

Remove the salmon from the oven, squeeze over the juice of a lemon, season with Maldon sea salt and pepper and serve with the couscous. And perhaps a glass of chilled white.

25 comments:

  1. I adore salmon ALL year round and this recipe looks awesome!! Thanks for the recipe and enjoy your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary,
    I must admit that I really enjoy anoccasional piece of salmon and this sounds really good! I'll have to look up Israeli couscous to see how it differs to the regular sort!
    Have a lovely weekend. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Israeli couscous is a secret to many folks. What a delight it is. I have a look at the salmon every time I shop, and will do some like yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks wonderful and I can understand why it would be extra good under the circumstances, can't please everyone all the time but thats OK

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat salmon a lot, and it's always great to have new ideas of ways to cook it! This dish looks fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, this looks and sounds delicious, I love couscous, especially the larger sized Israeli kind. Haven't made it in ages. You just reminded me I need to make some. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. your couscous sounds delicious, I've never made that. Your salmon looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love salmon and this look amazing absolutely and love with couscous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great dish and a beautiful picture! Glad to here that your power is on and you are well from all the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How delectable, I adore salmon and something deliciously light and fresh must be a relief. I hope everything is getting back to normal for you, have a lovely weekend. Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salmon looks delicious. :) I imagine you must be very pleased and relieved to have your power back up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sound of this. Israeli couscous looks like the giant wholewheat couscous I've started buying here in the UK... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fabulous Mary. I love Israeli couscous and that salmon looks just perfect with it! Glad you are ok. (((hugs))) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. We adore salmon and eat it often. This is so pretty Mary. I'll have to give the Israeli couscous a try with it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks perfectly delicious! Your photo looks like it was ripped from a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never had israeli couscous, but I love grains and it looks yummy. The whole dish looks perfect Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tiene una pinta estupenda ha de esta buenisimo.

    Besss.

    Manoli

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum this does look like a lovely summery dish - I bet it was really tasty too.
    You must be so relieved to have power once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love your salmon recipes Mary - anytime of the year. Several of them have become regular menu items around here. :) I believe this one will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks good, mary ! so is the dressing. I read your hurricane sandy post,hope everything's well at your place now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, your salmon recipe sounds delectable and healthy! We could all use some more of these wonderful types of recipes! Nice picture of the finished dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a few pieces of salmon in the freezer that Hubby brought home from an Alaskan fishing trip a few months ago. This looks like the perfect recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I would like all of that!! And I'll take seconds too, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I actually think of salmon as a festive fish for winter too..... Just posted a festive salmon salad recipe, but yours looks absolutely gorgeous! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!