Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Roast Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic


This is natures answer to the French fry.  Except they're much easier to make and much easier on the body.  I like to smoother them in freshly ground black pepper and Maldon sea salt before and after cooking.  Throwing in some garlic cloves, unpeeled, is a good idea as you can then squeeze out the roasted, caramelized garlic and spread it on the potatoes - Heaven.  



This recipe - not that it's really a recipe as such, can be used with any type of potato. I usually don't peel mine as a little extra fiber is a good thing, unless I'm using a very thick skinned Idaho baking potato.  You can par boil them before roasting to speed up the process but I rarely do. Purists will tell you these should be cooked in extremely hot duck fat, they will be delicious if you do but I don't bother with all that and mine are delicious too, I just roll them around in some room temperature olive oil. Most of the time these are served with some sort of roasted meat (invariably chicken) and they happily sit in the oven while the meat is roasting.
.
Any leftovers can be used in a frittarta the next day.

Roast Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary.

As many potatoes as you wish, whatever type you wish or have on hand.
Olive oil
Good quality sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh rosemary

Heat the oven to 425F

Wash and dry the potatoes.

Place them on a large baking tray.  Don't over crowd them as they will steam instead of roast if there's too many of them on one tray.  If you have a crowd to feed use 2 baking trays.

Drizzle over a tablespoon or so of olive oil.

Break up a garlic bulb and scatter four or five unpeeled cloves smothered in olive oil onto the baking tray.

Chop up a handful of fresh rosemary and mix in with the potatoes.

Place in the oven and roast for approx 50 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the potatoes.  Check every 20 minutes or so and move around so all sides of the potatoes become beautifully browned.

These are best served piping hot from the oven. Just before serving, scatter a little more salt over the top.

My 15 year old (and husband) likes them with ketchup.

36 comments:

  1. I love roasted potatoes. There is just something about simple ingredients and a good technique bringing out the best flavors in food. Love your idea of roasting the garlic with skin on and then smothering on the potatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My baked potato last night was not a huge success. I'm following your lead tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and looks wonderful, Mary! I love black pepper and a pinch of sea-salt for that extra flavour too and rosemary is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and perfect!! Love the addition of rosemary.. it's one of my favorite herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm..i can try baking with the unpeeled garlic one day, thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy, but I couldn't get away without peeling them. My family like the 'bits' so I par boil, shake them until they're roughed up and then roast them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make them such way very often, thanks for reminding me about this recipe
    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love rosemary. Love garlic. So I'm sure these are delicious! And I'm sure they smell wonderful while roasting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been a fan of garlic, but I can truly say that I am beginning to enjoy the taste of roasted garlic. Rosemary is a different story...love it!
    Thanks girl for sharing this wonderful recipe!
    Have a terrific day!
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm delicious! There's nothing better than roasted veggies this time of year. Have you tried beetroot or carrots? Nice photo too, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite way to make potatoes, and my husband (The Picky Eater) loves them made this way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are my kind of potatoes, easy and delicious with no fuss.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried these, really heavenly; potato, rosemary and garlic made for one another : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. love these potatos Mary, look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love roast potatoes and I can just about smell the aroma from yours from here :)) Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can make this my dinner or lunch for days in a row! I love roasted potatoes with olive oil, fat, butter, whatever. They´re always good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look wonderful and so much better than french fries!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh. These look so delish! I am a sucker for any kind of potato!! Plus, the photo is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. suddenly get hungry. i so love potatoes!wanna try this one


    xoxo, Style Diaries a Lifestyle Blog

    FOLLOW: BLOGLOVIN / TWITTER / FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious! And on the menu tonight, it's cold outside, these will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sound wonderful but I will leave the ketchup off them! Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Must try this - like the idea of the unpeeled garlic cloves. A great winter potato dish.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. These potatoes look heavenly, Mary! I wish I had a serving right now as the picture is making me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, your girls must adore these potatoes, I am sure, as my kids cannot get enough of oven-roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary and garlic - such a wonderful and delicious recipe! And I just love the picture that you posted!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple yet very satisfying dish ! Mary , I love the brand new look of your site , esp the lovely header ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marvelous…..giftwithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hadn't thought of throwing in the garlic- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious. I love using rosemary, it gives such a wonderful flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is one of the simplest but most delicious sides that I like to have. The rosemary, olive oil, salt, and garlic are just all perfectly made for roasted potatoes. And, whereas I don't care for ketchup, my family would have brought out the bottle to the table too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mary, these look fabulous, often the simplest things are definitely the best! I bet the aroma as they baked with the garlic and rosemary was amazing, did you have neighbors lined up at your door? I would have been there if I was a neighbor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I turn down my nose on those lowly french fries! Roast potatoes with garlic from this moment on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just the way I like my veggies!! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. the idea of roasted garlic in the same pan with the potates and rosemary make my mouth water! that shot says it all- DELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!