Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"What Katie Ate" by Katie Quinn Davies and her Delicious Sticky Chicken with Sesame and Chile.



I've mentioned before that I have an embarrassingly large library of cookbooks. It must have reached the hundreds by now.  I like to have them around me, some in the kitchen, some in the sitting room, lots by my bed for a flash of inspiration when the mood strikes.  So I really, really didn't need ANOTHER one.  But, I just couldn't resist and its a beauty.  "What Katie Ate" by Katie Quinn Davies is a visual feast as well as being chock full of recipes I'm drooling over.  It's real food if you know what I mean.  The sticky chicken with sesame and chilies was the first recipe I tried it was a winner.  Everyone loved it.  In a family of six it's rare that everyone is happy at the same time but this recipe produced that unusual and welcome state of affairs.  It called for me to skin the chicken legs.  I had two large pairs of eyes watching me while I was ripping the skin off the leg bone (which was curiously satisfying), one belonging to the 11 year old who was utterly horrified and one belonging to the Jack Russell who was transfixed with admiration and desire.


If you're in the market for a cookbook - rush out and buy this one.

Sticky Chicken with Sesame and Chile, adapted from "What Katie Ate" by Katie Quinn Davies.

2 lbs of chicken legs
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup Dijon mustard (preferably wholegrain)
1/3 cup Honey
2 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
Handful of sesame seeds and finely sliced green chile.

Heat the oven to 325 F

Remove the skin form the chicken legs and place the legs in a baking tray.

Heat the olive oil and add the onion, cook for about 5 minutes to soften, add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or so.

Add the ketchup, mustard, honey, sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Stir together, then increase the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the chicken, place in the oven and cook for about 1 - 1/2 hours.  Keep an eye on it and baste once in a while.

When cooked, remove from the oven, sprinkle over the sesame seeds and chilies and serve.



15 comments:

  1. What a marvellous looking book, Mary! I also have very many cook books (I read them like novels!!)I dare not count them! I love the sound of that sticky chicken with sesame seeds. I had to laugh at your 11-year old and your Jack Russell watching the skinning process of the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to look for that cookbook!! I made your soup this weekend and posted it today. It was amazing!! Thank you!!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, I can see why everyone loved it! It seems that anything "sticky" is always a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do chicken wings in a similar way. Marvelous flavors. Why did nature make chickens so ugly when they taste so good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely divine! The flavor combo for the marinade is making my tummy rumble. It was great to see someone else shares my love of cookbooks-- I'm the same way with stacks by my bed and in the kitchen and living room. I just love them! I'll have to check out "What Katie Ate," thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check this cookbook out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks a great cookbook - I love it when you get 'real food' - and I love the cover of that book. I wonder if it's available in the UK - sounds like I need it... I can imagine your Jack Russell's expression as you skinned the chicken legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same piles of cookbooks lying around in the same places! And I love them and know will never stop buying them, ja! Chicken legs are better without skin, especially when glazed with so many good ingredients. Love this recipe Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. me too, my cookbooks are everywhere, some in this room and some in that room! the seasoning sounds good , i'm going to chk out this book later! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a fellow cook book addict too! The chicken looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary, I'm a cookbook collector, too! I just absolutely can't resist them. Really, my blog should be called "Confessions of a Cookbook Addict"! The chicken looks soooo tasty and I love that the skin is removed. I never eat it any way. Thanks for sharing your newest cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess we're all a bunch of cookbook collectors! This one sounds pretty terrific and the chicken looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! That chicken legs looks finger licking good! I saw this cookbook the other day and almost bought it as well. I just purchased the Smitten Kitchen one, so I figured one new cookbook this month was enough. I can always grab a copy from my Library, right? Don't you feel proud as a mom when you can serve up a dinner that everyone in the family (including you) loves? I love finding keep recipes such as you found here. It always makes my day when I tell the kids I'm making "so and so" tonight and they give me a huge thumbs up!

    I love that you recognized the cheese I used on my latest recipe. I had no idea what kind of cheese it was, I only knew that it was AWESOME!

    Have a great night Mary!
    xoxo,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks so deliciois. I love the seasoning. A must try recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this...at first I wondered if that glaze wouldn't burn in the oven for that long, but then I noticed you've got it at 325, I'm going to gather up my glaze ingredients, sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!