Saturday, December 29, 2012

Guess Where We Went For Christmas!!!

  I'll give you a hint.


The sun shone, the ocean sparkled and the sand was warm.  It was heaven.  There are forty little islands that make up the Turks and Caicos and we washed up on the shores of Providenciales the main island which can only be described as idyllic. I became quite expert at hopping across the sand with one foot and a pair of crutches.  While I basked in the sun my husband and the girls splashed around in the water, delighting in the beauty of it all and the finally feeling WARM.  The food was a fabulous, we rather indulgently hired a private chef for two dinners.  He was a sweetheart and a wonderful cook.  We could not have asked for a better Christmas present.

I should of course have taken more photos but I was too busy eating, it was all SO delicious.  These are the highlights. 

I think I could live on these appetizers.  Alex, our chef found some sesame crackers, added a touch of wasabi, cream cheese, smoked salmon, topped with a spinach leaf and a sprinkle of tamari sauce.  Simple, elegant and SO delicious.  I'm making these for every party I ever give. Except I'll probably eat them all before the guests arrive.


Alex pretty much came up with the menus and I loved the surprises he had up his sleeve.  I wouldn't  have thought of serving eggs and asparagus in the middle of a meal, I always think of it as decedent breakfast but it tasted wonderful as part of the feast.  The eggs came from Alex's own chickens, boiled for 4 minutes and then plunged into cold water to stop the cooking process.  The asparagus was grilled to perfection, just a slight bite, sprinkled with salt, pepper and parmesan. 


OK, hold on to your hats.  This was simply marvelous.  Lobster wrapped in bacon and baked in a little white wine.  What more can I say?


This is where the fun really started.  Flambeed pineapple in gallons of island rum. 


then served with vanilla ice cream and orange cookies:)


Great fun, great food.


We've arrived home in time to see the New Year in.  Look what's greeted us!


I can't help thinking nature is a beautiful thing.

30 comments:

  1. You went to the Atlantic Ocean...550 miles South East of Miami!! Oh my....absolutely gorgeous, and I might say, a Fabulous Christmas Gift!! You are Blessed!
    So happy for you and your family!! Personal Chef?? Now that is what I call the good life!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That all sounds wonderful! And isn't the snow beautiful?! We are getting a bit of it here in Pa. today. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to get away! How lovely! The food and view are fabulous! We have snow, too...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to DC and let me chef for you. Now that you've made everyone on your list jealous, what do you plan to do for an encore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both options look a lot better than the dull rain weather we are having! What a fabulous holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that first photo is just stunning! Paradise! How wonderful you had a lovely vacation and someone to cook for you.. sounds like you are mending nicely!

    Looks like you returned to a lot of snow, lol. It actually snowed a tiny bit in Dallas on Christmas day, but it was gone by the end of Boxing Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it all looks and sounds so lovely - that first picture is amazing as are all of your food pictures.
    But there is something about snow at this time of year isn't there - so beautiful.
    Have a lovely New Year :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like heaven on earth!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LUCKY LUCKY you! A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. my oh my, what a wonderful place to be, sounds like a wonderful Christmas! Hope you are well,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, so glad you got to enjoy Christmas despite your leg difficulties, it sounds like an amazing time and the food sounds fantastic! I know you'v gotten tons of culinary inspiration! Can't wait to see the results :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas, escaping to a gorgeous island. Glad that you maneuver the crutches in the sand. Having a personal chef, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, you really had the best Christmas, gorgeous setting and personally hand fed! Good for you Mary! Hope you´re foot is better after being pampered in the beach. Have a wonderful beginning of 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a trip of a lifetime! Your opening and closing photos are just gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing what you're inspired to create after enjoying all that glorious food.

    Wishing your family a New Year filled with love & joy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turquoise seas and sand, what a lovely getaway for you and your family, Mary. Glad to hear that you mastered sand hopping with your crutches!
    The food looked amazing, especially the pineapple flambéed in rum! What a treat! How lovely to come back to a sprinkling of snow and what a contrast to your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that first photo, looks like a painting! It is beautiful!
    And the food looks delicious, I'm practically drooling over the lobster with the bacon!
    And I'm wishing I was there in the last picture, lovely! I have not had the pleasure of experiencing snow before!
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very blessed indeed. How wonderfully lovely! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. That first picture is absolutely stunning! The colors, the scenery. I'm so happy you got to enjoy some time away Mary. And having someone else do the cooking for a while sounds like perfection to me - particularly when they come up with bacon wrapped lobster! Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, what a wonderful, fantastic trip - must have been such a nice vacation with gorgeous looking (and sounding) food! Love the picture of the snow though, looks so very seasonal! I would like to take the opportunity to wish you and you entire family all the very best for the upcoming New Year! Looking forward to all your lovely upcoming blog posts! "Happy New Year! - Frohes Neues Jahr!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous place to vacation! Blessings to you in the coming New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous treat for you and your family, Mary! Happy New Year blessings to you and your loved ones. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely stunning! The scenery and the food too. Hiring a private--genius! What a great way to spend Christmas. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. everything looks pretty and fresh!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a way to spend Christmas with your toes in the sand! Everything looks insanely delicious. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful Christmas gift! Sounds like you all had a fabulous time…best part had to be your personal chef, Alex!! Wishing you a healthy, Happy New Year, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous, stupendous Christmas choice!! Love it, and we are seriously discussing going away next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great way to spend Christmas!!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. As soon as I saw your picture load in my google reader I knew it was Provo! My husband and I lived there for a year in 2010 and it was AMAZING! I wish I'd known you were going, I've never met anyone else who has been there before! and I could have given you so many good food recommendations! but by the sounds of things you did pretty well anyway! I miss it so much! Glad you had an awesome get away there!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy new year Mary! I saw this photo and I have to tell you I am so envious. I so want to be somewhere warm and tropical right now. I'm glad you got to get away though and rest up your ankle somewhere warm and outdoors instead of being confined to the couch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!