Thursday, January 24, 2013

A "Cuppa" of Broccoli and Cheese Soup and My Blog Companion.



When I left home and went to London to seek my fortune I was fairly penniless.  My staple diet I'm ashamed to admit was "Cuppa Soup" which was/is a sort of dehydrated packet of soup. All you had to do was pour boiling water (which was free) over the granules in the plastic cup provided (no need to waste money on buying any utensils) and there you had a steaming cup of soup or some concoction that vaguely resembled soup.

Too many years to admit have flown by and here I am in America happily making my own version of Cuppa Soup.  The beauty of it is that it's really not much harder to make than the original dehydrated version and served in a handmade cup from a local craftswoman, the taste thankfully cannot be compared.




Broccoli and Cheese Soup.

1 onion,
Olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2-3 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
32 oz of organic chicken stock
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.



In a large pot heat the olive oil, add the onion and saute on a low heat until just golden.  Add the carrots, potatoes, broccoli and garlic, saute for a further 3-4 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover the pot.  Simmer until the vegetables are fully cooked.

Puree the soup, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Season to taste.

Pour into a cup and savor.

Meet the Jack Russell, my constant blog and sofa companion, closely inspecting a recipe for sausages.

32 comments:

  1. I was in love with the soup until I saw the dog. I love dogs. One of my doggie clients has (count them) 4 Jack Russells. What's his/her name. Can he/she come over for a play date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a blog companion like Jack Russel and a cup of that soup!! Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuppa soup got me through college. If I really wanted a fine meal, it was Kraft Macaroni and Cheese! Love the idea of just one cup of soup. Also love your blogging companion.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I remember Lipton Cup of Soup!! I used to have a packet for lunch when working years ago. Your recipe sounds fantastic, I lOVE that there is no butter or milk or cream! Have to make this. Your blog companion is very cute. Hope your leg is all healed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. It's a reminder of my salad days as an actress in NYC. I'd whip this up any day. Blog companions are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, he's so sweet to look at. Jack Russell terriers are one of my favorite dog breeds. I'll be giving this recipe a whirl this weekend, it looks great, and it's definitely soup weather. The round of what looks like bread, is that an English muffin?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doggie is just too cute! They sure bring a lot of smiles to our lives, don't they! Love your soup, I'm sure it's way tastier and way healthier than anything from a package! Hope your leg is healing nicely, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! So much healthier than those dehydrated soups which often contain palm oil and too much salt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soup sounds wonderful and much healthier than the deydrated kind. It sure looks pretty in the handmade soup mug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have eaten my fair share of those dehydrated soups.... ugh, glad those days are over! Your dog is so cute! What's his/her name??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary,
    When I was working, back in the day, I would ahve that awful cup of soup for lunch, ugh! I would rather have had your version of cuppa soup, so much better. I'll be making yours for my lunch soon.

    Your Jack Russell is so cute. I have Bailey the Wonder dog, as my blog companion. She's a Cock-a-Poo, and Princess for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your soup looks so comforting...it's freezing here today in the Toronto area!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to have with vegetable stock

    ReplyDelete
  14. This soup sounds wonderful. I love your blog companion, he is such a cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember eating cuppa soups when I was younger. Your homemade version looks a million times better!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember eating cuppa soup when I was young. Your homemade version looks a million times better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The soup looks delicious...love this kind of soup. Such a cutie pie dog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure your recipe here is much tastier than the old cuppa soup envelope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well it's snowing quite heavily here so this delicious warming soup is just what we need! The chicken casserole in the last post is another one to try too.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah the soup look delicious! Have a nice werkenf

    ReplyDelete
  21. These is perfect for the cold weather we've been having lately....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I remember cuppa soup ... my version of that in college were the instant ramen packages. I lived on those, along with the ever present MSG headaches. I love your homemade version - so pretty!! And your dog is adorable : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds perfect to warm me up! Love the shot of your dog. He looks like an excellent blogging companion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pup is such a cutie! And who wouldn't love this cuppa soup. Isn't it funny to look back on things we would eat for the sake of budget in the early days of adulthood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your story of where this soup originated from. I must confess this new version sounds like a great evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very healthy and yummy soup :)They look absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary, I love the way the handcrafted cup/mug looks like - I adore this kind of craftman(woman)ship, it really makes for a very pretty presenation of food. But your recipe for Broccoli and Cheese Soup also sounds awfully tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary, Your Cuppa Soup looks delicious…so much better than the store bought kind! I will have to give this a try…I love to eat soup on these very cold wintery days!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember eating Cuppa soup in college. This looks so much better, delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!