Monday, January 28, 2013

Apple and Blueberry Cobbler with Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream



One of the beauty of cobblers is that you can use almost any type of fruit depending on what's languishing in the fruit bowl.  Last night it was apple and blueberry freshened up with plenty of orange zest, juice and cinnamon.  In England we always referred to these desserts as crumbles and never use oatmeal.  I do love the addition of oatmeal which gives it a more crunchy and substantial topping.  Make sure you serve this with vanilla ice cream or plenty of whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon. Leftovers, if there are any, make a lovely breakfast treat.


Apple and Blueberry Cobbler with Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream.

6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 packet of blueberries, fresh or frozen
Zest and juice of an orange
1 heaped teaspoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

For the topping.

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of oatmeal
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of brown sugar

Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream.

6 oz heavy cream
1 tablespoon of confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.

Heat the oven to 375 F

In a bowl combine the apples, blueberries, orange zest, juice, sugar and cinnamon and toss together.

In another bowl combine the flour, salt, oatmeal, cinnamon and sugar.

Cut the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture until the butter is about the size of peas.

Pour the fruit into an ovenproof dish, scatter the crumble topping over.  Place on a large baking tray (you don't want the juices spilling in your oven) and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the fruit  juices are bubbling up around the edges of the dish and the topping is golden brown.



Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.

To make the cinnamon spiced cream, combine the ingredients in a bowl of an electric mixer and whip until the cream is just turning thick.


30 comments:

  1. delicious! I always put oats in my crumble topping - and usually ground almonds. We still call it crumble though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, fruit crumble (cobbler), Mary. It's simply delicious hot, warm or cold. I too like the addition of oats. Now how can I do my "slim down by Easter" diet when you keep putting up such tempting things?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at the spilling juices over the dish..that looks really tempting! i like the addition of oats too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apples, blueberries and orange are one of my favorite combinations, I think they complement each other and are still different from the usual flavors. He call this a crumble too, but either way it´s wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing beats a warm fruit cobbler like this as a winter dessert! And the cinnamon spiced whipped cream you made looks simply amazing - it puts this dish over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely could not say no to such a fruity and delicious dessert!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is calling my name, Mary! I love a warm cobbler and I wish I could have some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't eat it myself, but I sure would sell to others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love the idea of apple and blueberry. Although it's definitely not traditional English to add oats to a crumble, my mum always did, and I do too- in fact, one of my most popular posts is a crumble one with oats and ground seeds/ nuts added! Hope your ankle is mending okay x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! I could eat it for breakfast or dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 more words, yum yum yum, oh a couple more, I hope you are well,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my - I have everything in the house. Everything ... and ave been begging for a simple, fruit dessert. Love combining apples and blueberries. Loving the sweet comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so yummy, and looks great! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh that whipped cream sounds amazing! i love the spice in it

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandson is sitting here with me and he gave out a big whistle when he saw this photo. Looks so good!
    Blessings..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds fantastic! I love any crumble or cobbler with oatmeal. It pairs so perfectly with pretty much all fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A plate of warm cobbler with some icecream is a burst of flavors. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, I am happy to report that I will be serving this dessert to my family today. I just bought some wonderful apples and blueberries and since I love the additiion of oats in my Crumbles/Cobblers, I will follow your recipe instead of mine because it does look sooo delcious - I will let you know what my taste testers thought.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crumble or cobbler... whatever you decide to call it, just pass me a bowl full and I'll be content!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dessert for breakfast - I love that idea. You know I think if I did that, I would want to be better the whole rest of the day since the splurge was already behind me - ha ha. This sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious! I love cobblers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks yummy! I love the addition of oats, it has a wonderful fragrance during baking! Yes, I would go with lots of ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, the cobbler looks great and then you add cinnamon cream! way to go. Hope the week is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Total agree with you with the versatility of cobbler... and I reckon apple and blueberry is a great cobbler combination.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the idea of this deliciousness for dessert and then waking up to the leftovers for breakfast! My idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looked really yummy! Cobbler has been always family dessert ever since and never once they disappoint us. Very versatile dessert indeed. :D Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, boy, this is MY kind of dessert! I just love a cobbler and yours is divine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!