Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Best Braised Beef Short Ribs in Your Life with Creamy Root Vegetable Mash



These are a treat.  Since I have been confided to the house with a pulverized ankle my cooking style has entirely changed.  I used to be in a tearing hurry ALL the time, no time to simmer or slow cook.  Now there's all day to simmer and slow cook and the results not only smell wonderful but taste pretty darn good too - these ribs are proof.  I braised them for about 3 1/2 hours on a low heat during the afternoon, whipped up some veggie mash (parsnips and potatoes and way too much butter) and had a happy family when they came home that evening. And the lovely thing about these luscious ribs is - they're SOOO easy to make.

Braised Beef Short Ribs.


4-5 lbs of bone in beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
¼ cup of Dijon mustard
1/3 cup of soy sauce
¼ cup of red wine
32 oz beef stock
1 tablespoon of room temperature unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of cornstarch

Heat the oven to 325F

Trim the ribs of any excess fat.

Liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper and a touch a cumin.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. 

Brown the ribs until they have a nice crust, give yourself plenty of time, this can take up to 30 minutes with 5 lbs of ribs.  You will probably need to do this in batches, cover the browned ribs with aluminum foil while you are working on the next batch.

When the ribs are browned, keep them covered with foil while you saute the onion and carrots for approximately 5-8 minutes.

Add the sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, wine and mustard, combine thoroughly. 

Place the ribs back into the pot.  Gently pour over the beef stock.  Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer.  Cover with a tight fitting lid. 

Place in the oven and bake for approximately 3 1/2 hours or until the meat is falling off the bones.

Remove from the oven, spoon the ribs out of the pot and place on a warm serving platter, cover with foil.

Skim off any fat from the sauce in the pot. 

In a small bowl mix the butter and the cornstarch to a paste.  Add a tablespoon of the sauce to the cornstarch mixture and combine well.  Add this back to the sauce.  Stir thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes.

To serve, place the mashed root vegetable on a large platter, lay the short ribs on top of the mash, spoon over the sauce and sprinkle with parsley.

Mashed Root Vegetables.

4 large baking potatoes
4 large parsnips
1 stick of butter
 4 oz heavy cream or whole milk
Salt and pepper

Peel the potatoes and parsnips and cut into medium sized chunks.

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.  Add the potatoes and parsnips cook until very tender.

Drain, add the butter, salt, pepper and cream and mash until fluffy.  Add more butter or cream if needed.  








26 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I also really like the addition of parsnips to the mash. A veggie I will be growing in my garden this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks perfect for a rainy winter Sunday--so glad you shared this! I'm so sorry your ankle is "pulverized"! Hoping you get better VERY soon, my friend!

    Wishing you a wonderful day!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're in comfort food mode, Mary, and well you should be. These look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Root mash is something we really enjoy too. I love slow-cooked food (although I hate slow cookers themselves). Give me a low oven and all afternoon and I am a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know I have never cooked a parsnip? Isn't that funny? Yours looks so warm and comforting! I want to invite you to participate in my first link-up over on my blog. Come and share a favorite meatless meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect dish for a cold blustery Sunday! Love the mashed potatoes and turnips too, or was it parsnips? :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. such wonderful recipes you're giving us! I feel so bad for you, I hope that you heal quickly, must have been an awfully painful break, take care, oh my gosh, you cook better injured than I have ever cooked, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where would we be without braising? It´s hard to top. I will pin this recipe for colder times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok...I've come to the realization that I must scroll right on past your food photos for the next 21 days. Our Daniel Fast is back and your dishes each day are so yummy looking...I'll just skip on down to the reading...
    Hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  10. You poor thing!!! I hope this fantastic dish gave you some comfort...it looks fantastic, Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl! Maybe you're learning through this experience to slow down a bit and to move at a slower pace. I have slowed down these past two weeks after all the Christmas madness and it just feels good and right. I'm so content right now and I honestly think we all need to slow down once in a while and smell the roses, instead of running around in a frenzy all the time. Slow cookers rock! You reminded me that I need to get mine out a bit more. xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful, my family would love it too. I hope your foot is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! This looks like a meal from a restaurant, looks so delicious! I got to try using slow roast method one of these days!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary! Sorry to hear about your ankle but sometimes it's nice to have time at home... so nice to find your comment on my blog (re the fish)! This dish looks great but I don't know what that cut of meat is in Turkish ... the bane of my life!! And for some reason, parsnips don't grow here :( Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do rush around way too much. Hope I don't have to break a bone to learn to slow down. Hope your ankle is healing nicely. These short ribs sound spectacular! Love your root mash too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are mending quickly! Patience!
    Great recipe and I love the veggie mash...definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am planning on making ribs later this week - seeing this post will make the wait quite painful now:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love braised short ribs. Mine turned out so delicious but the photos were ugly! Good excuse to make them again :) Hope you are up and around again soon. Slow cooking is such fun - having to smell those flavors all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had one experience with braised short ribs, and it was pretty delicious. I'm anxious to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meals like this are so perfect for wintry nights!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks amazing, Mary! I make a short rib dish similar to this.. I'll think I'll try your version next time I make them! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. they sound like the best! I can;t wait to give them a try! I love short ribs but only if they are done perfectly as they can be too chewy if not. Looks like yours are a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love slow cooked meals like this for this cold weather we've been having. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have yet to make short ribs. But that must change--these look delicious. Perfect for a cold winter evening. Hope your ankle heals soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!